• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pokersamurai

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    I'm looking at getting my first full sized revolver for carry and home defense. I've owned and carried snubbies before, but I was wondering if anyone else carries a full sized revolver for defense anymore? If so what do you carry and what load do you use?

By the way, this is the gun that I'm considering.
    Ruger GP100 4" barrel, fixed sights, and half under-lug.
    KGPF-340.jpg

Last edited:

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    :wavey: S&W 442 Airweight as a BUG and in certain situations as my primary.

While it is not a full size like you are considering I fully trust a revolver for self defense. Love a nice wheelgun! :rockwoot:

BTW, excellent choice with the GP100! :yesway: Great gun!

BillyT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Indy
    Taurus judge Pdx1 410 x 3 + 45lc x 2.

I prefer it's wide range of attributes. Certainly a preferred SD firearm for the home.

IDCC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Orange County
    I have a 4" full lug GP100 in the house for home defense as well as several other weapons. I have been known to CCW it and when I am hunting or working in the yard it is always with me. I wouldn't have a problem carrying one of those S&W 327s with 8 shot moonclips as an EDC.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    On occasion I have carried a S&W 686+ 2.5"
    As revolvers go I like that one alot

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I think you will love the GP100. I'm an S&W fan myself, but have a buddy with a GP100 4" and it's a sweet shooter.

My EDC is a revolver until tax return time. Then a S&W MP9c will probably replace it for now.

evsnova74

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Near-east Indy
    Man that Ruger is niiice. I carry a taurus 605 .357 snubbie with .38 +p loads. It's nice but the grips aren't great for ccw... prints badly. (did I use the term "print" correctly there? lol)

I'm looking for a subcompact tupperware gun for my EDC eventually, at which point the revolver will be relegated to the night stand, but I'll never get rid of this thing. =D

nicajack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    Miami County
    First off, revolvers are much more user-friendly than semi-autos. There are several things that can happen to semi's that will stop them from functioning. As a rule, a revolver will go bang when you pull the trigger, if it is loaded! I have carried revolvers more than semi's for that reason. I do have total faith in 1911 istols, though. It is just hard to conceal one in many situations.
    Whenever someone asks me what type of gun they should get for defense, I always tell them to get a quality revolver. Never a semi-auto. Your choice is a good one in my opinion. I just received a 6 inch GP100 in trade from a member, here. Seems to be a nicely made gun for a Ruger. The factory style grips are comfortable in my hand. Will carry it back on my property fairly often.....John

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    I usually carry a Charter Arms 44 spl, or a S&W 360 in .357 or a Ruger Sp101 in .357. I guess I am hooked on wheelguns.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    I had a 642 but got mad-gun-love for something and traded it. It was a carry gun and I would advocate one still.

I do carry a 4" GP100 but not around town. It's my woods gun. With hardcast 180gr or 200gr, I'm comfortable in the lower 48 - east of the Rockies. Who am I kidding? The only thing in the woods I'm really concerned about are two-legged drug cooker/growers. For that matter, a Glock 20 might be a better choice for me but I like the GP100.

gp100-aAfter.jpg

Top Bottom