• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    So I'm not looking to discuss gun shows in general or price gouging at gun shows as those have been discussed at great length. :horse:
    What I am curious about is what it's like to be a dealer.

With the understanding that all shows are different, how much does a typical table go for (price range?) Do you have to set up Friday night or can you go Saturday morning? Is there a limit to the number of people that can work a table? Are other vendors pretty cool people or are they not fans of noobs? ect, ect, ect.

Between my friends and I, we've collected quite a bit of goods over the years and were thinking about doing 1 or 2 shows a year. Almost like a garage sale to fund future purchases.

This is all just preliminary, so ANY insight would be appreciated. thanks.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I think the tables at the 1500 are $90 each for all three days. Most dealers are pretty friendly folks. I dont believe there is a limit on the number of workers per table but you cant exactly cram a busload of folks ba k there either.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    If you have nothing better to do on a weekend, it can be fun to sit behind the table. By Sunday, you'll despise every human on the planet....that's if your stuff doesn't get stolen by Saturday.

Seriously, it can be fun and you meet some really nice folks. Tables can run from $35 up to over $100, depending on the show. Try one of the smaller shows first. Make sure you have someone there to watch the table if you want to go to the head, walk around the show, etc.

Bring a seat cushion or your own chair.

Duce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Delaware County
    Be warned it's a job, you'll be there before the public and long after.
    I know more than one dealer, that tell of thefts. One even related that on set up evening how one rifle nearly walked out.
    If the plan is that rent a table and several friends go in as table help, clearly state what the expectation are. I sat one vendors table while he took a meal/restroom break. Seems all his help disappeared and never came back to relieve him. One took help in and while he was shopping sold items at above his asking price and kept the profit. The profiteer never offered to help with the table rent.
    Some promoters are hard to work with, showing favoritism to certain vendors.
    Doing gunshows as a vendor can be fun and a pain, sometimes you'll make money, sometimes not. Remember by the end of the show you'll be physically/emotionally drained. Then all you need to do is pack up and drive home..........:@ya:....<><Duce

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    I've had tables at gun showes selling reloading and gun related supplies. My wife also had a spot at the Shipshewana Flea Market for 20 years, selling everything from Knives, cheap to expensive, jewlery, crafts that I made, and our own brand of popcorn.

I can honestly say you will meet some of the nicest people ever at your tables, you will also meet some of the BIGEST A@$%##%^EVER produced by mankind.

There you go!

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I think the tables at the 1500 are $90 each for all three days. Most dealers are pretty friendly folks. I dont believe there is a limit on the number of workers per table but you cant exactly cram a busload of folks ba k there either.

changed to 100 dollars per table a few shows ago:yesway:

Shows for the most part at a enjoyable experiance. I get to catch up with alot of folks I dont see daily, but by sunday you are tired of being there. You will have customers get your blood pressure up. Ive been robbed, most everyone trys to explain that they know more than I do, and atleast 90% of the people at the 1500 are some form of special operations expert, sniper, etc. You just have to keep in mind, its a business, and its not good for business to call some folk's bluff.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    You just have to keep in mind, its a business, and its not good for business to call some folk's bluff.

Haha, great point!

Lots of good info. Guess it's naive of me, but I never thought theft was an issue. I've been to a fair number of shows but never knew what it would be like on the other side.

If we do it we'll start small and hopefully it'll be a good experience. Thanks everybody!

bigkahunasix

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Ran a LGS for 12 years,doing 45+/- gunshows per year, every year. Makes you old and very cynical when thinking of your fellow man.

For every 10 customers- 2 were intelligent w/ an idea of their wants or needs, 3 were intelligent with limited knowledge but a willingness to think and learn and 5 were unmitigated horses a$$'s who just wanted to finger-bang the merchandise, tell you their Hi-Point shot as good as your Wilson Combat, whine about the prices/paperwork/lack of jerky/tell you their conspiracy theories/ask IGNORANT questions/let their heathen spawn finger-bang the merchandise...etc...etc...etc...ad infinitum

BK6

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Haha, great point!

Lots of good info. Guess it's naive of me, but I never thought theft was an issue. I've been to a fair number of shows but never knew what it would be like on the other side.

If we do it we'll start small and hopefully it'll be a good experience. Thanks everybody!

I dont think its a matter of if you get robbed, but when. When I have 5 people in line waiting to talk to me and my atttention is split between 2 or even 3 customers its pretty easy for customer #4 to walk off with somthing. My father even sits at the table all weekend and his 100% job is watching for people stealing.

I always take the customer outside so show them scopes if they want. I went out with a guy once who said "I bet you guys all have loaded pistols" I didnt think anything of it and said "no we are not allowed to carry so I dont have one" He said "well hell I have a loaded pistol, I could take off with this scope and there wouldnt be anything you could do" I comly explained to his the 21 foot rule, and started talking about how I had just quit cagefighting and I would have no issues beating his ___ long before he could draw a gun":yesway:

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    So I'm not looking to discuss gun shows in general or price gouging at gun shows as those have been discussed at great length. :horse:
    What I am curious about is what it's like to be a dealer.

With the understanding that all shows are different, how much does a typical table go for (price range?) Do you have to set up Friday night or can you go Saturday morning? Is there a limit to the number of people that can work a table? Are other vendors pretty cool people or are they not fans of noobs? ect, ect, ect.

Between my friends and I, we've collected quite a bit of goods over the years and were thinking about doing 1 or 2 shows a year. Almost like a garage sale to fund future purchases.

This is all just preliminary, so ANY insight would be appreciated. thanks.

Typical table fee is $100 per table (Indy 1500) to $35/$40 (small shows).

Most shows allow set up the day before the show opens to the public. It is nice to get it done the day before, this allows you to be able walk around the morning of the show and check things out before the show opens to the public. It is basically my shopping time, because once the show starts your pretty much stuck at your tables. Keep in mind that setting up the day before is one more night in a hotel if you have to travel. One thing to keep in mind is your set up time. If you have a lot of items that will take you more than two hours to unload and get set up, then your almost forced to go the day before because most shows only allow the vendors in two hours before it opens to the public. My typical set up time is 3 to 3 1/2 hours.

I do 40 plus shows a year, it's a job. Once it was a hobby and I use to get excited about doing shows, now it's a job and I don't get too excited about it, but I still enjoy it. Traveling gets old. My 2011 model truck has over 54,000 miles on it and I would guess that 85% of it is from traveling from show to show. Eating out really sucks, I'm tired of eating out all of the time and some times I wake up in the hotel and forget what city I'm in. Other than that, it can be a lot fun that requires a little work. Keeping it at the hobby level will greatly increase your enjoyment.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Typical table fee is $100 per table (Indy 1500) to $35/$40 (small shows).

Most shows allow set up the day before the show opens to the public. It is nice to get it done the day before, this allows you to be able walk around the morning of the show and check things out before the show opens to the public. It is basically my shopping time, because once the show starts your pretty much stuck at your tables. Keep in mind that setting up the day before is one more night in a hotel if you have to travel. One thing to keep in mind is your set up time. If you have a lot of items that will take you more than two hours to unload and get set up, then your almost forced to go the day before because most shows only allow the vendors in two hours before it opens to the public. My typical set up time is 3 to 3 1/2 hours.

I do 40 plus shows a year, it's a job. Once it was a hobby and I use to get excited about doing shows, now it's a job and I don't get too excited about it, but I still enjoy it. Traveling gets old. My 2011 model truck has over 54,000 miles on it and I would guess that 85% of it is from traveling from show to show. Eating out really sucks, I'm tired of eating out all of the time and some times I wake up in the hotel and forget what city I'm in. Other than that, it can be a lot fun that requires a little work. Keeping it at the hobby level will greatly increase your enjoyment.

Im done setting up for the 1500 on friday. I get pretty jellious (spelling?) of people who just get to take their time walking around before the show while Im moving as fast as possibable to get set up by 2. It takes me about 3 hours to set up aswell.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I dont think its a matter of if you get robbed, but when. When I have 5 people in line waiting to talk to me and my atttention is split between 2 or even 3 customers its pretty easy for customer #4 to walk off with somthing. My father even sits at the table all weekend and his 100% job is watching for people stealing.

I always take the customer outside so show them scopes if they want. I went out with a guy once who said "I bet you guys all have loaded pistols" I didnt think anything of it and said "no we are not allowed to carry so I dont have one" He said "well hell I have a loaded pistol, I could take off with this scope and there wouldnt be anything you could do" I comly explained to his the 21 foot rule, and started talking about how I had just quit cagefighting and I would have no issues beating his ___ long before he could draw a gun":yesway:

I might have gave him an A$$ whipping for just saying some silly S#$t like that.

ave several friends that do these shows and all of the above is pretty much true. Good/bad and ugly.
    People are great until they suck.............................;)

Edit......AA, I got the rings today and the optic is mounted....I love it

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    I haed an FFL back in the day, (92-95) used to set up at the 1500, Greenfield,Holt Road,and Tipton shows. Always a chore as I worked all week before the shows, made some good deals, made some $, would not ever do it again. IRS/ATF, you had to be spot on with your reports and admin, long days behind a table, two young daughters to watch, most customers were OKJ, had a few moments I would like to forget with some though. All in all I have a 1915 Colt .45 US ARMY I would not probably have if it wern't for the shows.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Im done setting up for the 1500 on friday. I get pretty jellious (spelling?) of people who just get to take their time walking around before the show while Im moving as fast as possibable to get set up by 2. It takes me about 3 hours to set up aswell.

I have been trying to tell you that for the last couple of shows. I see you and your dad scrambling to get set up, that is why I have offered to help you unload a few times. :) Usually the show is profitable enough to justify the extra gas in driving back and forth on Thursday to set up. I use to do the Friday set up, and found that it is no fun having to scramble and then having no time to get out to shop and BS with other vendors.....it's just not worth it. It's a long and tiring weekend, you might as well enjoy the few down times when you can. One other thing, you do know that you can get in at 8am on Friday? If you get there right at 8am, you should have plenty of time to get set up and still have "goof off" time before the show opens to the public.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I have been trying to tell you that for the last couple of shows. I see you and your dad scrambling to get set up, that is why I have offered to help you unload a few times. :) Usually the show is profitable enough to justify the extra gas in driving back and forth on Thursday to set up. I use to do the Friday set up, and found that it is no fun having to scramble and then having no time to get out to shop and BS with other vendors.....it's just not worth it. It's a long and tiring weekend, you might as well enjoy the few down times when you can. One other thing, you do know that you can get in at 8am on Friday? If you get there right at 8am, you should have plenty of time to get set up and still have "goof off" time before the show opens to the public.

Ya I know. I typically get there at 1030ish and its still stressfull.

I show up earlier every show than I did the one before, and I thing even if I show up at 8 on friday Ill still be stressed, rushing, and wondering what I forgot. I dont think Ive done one yet and not forgot somthing. Luckly I havent forgot anything earth shattering yet.

If I show up thursday and forget somthing who cares, ill bring it on friday.

tallend

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    About 25 years ago my wife and I set up at 48 shows in one year(at the time,I had an 01,and a 06)----during those showa(years),I had 4 long guns,and 2 handguns "walk off" my tables--reportig the theft to the LEO,I was told("Just turn it into your insurance co"-NEVER got compensated)Then there was the Gun GURU-"You want 200.00 for your new 870 express????shoot man,Dunhams had them 20 years ago for only 185.00" or "Boy I like that gun if it was only a 16ga with a cammo trigger"--"oh dang,it's a16 ga with a cammo trigger,I was looking for a 28ga with green flames"---------at the last two shows(that year),we took in a total of
    0.75---------I parked the motor home and did not even attend a gun show for seven years

I now do only 6-8 shows a year------need the extra time to take my GRANDKIDS fishing,target shooting,and soon--they will be hunting with grandpa....

tallend

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    About 25 years ago my wife and I set up at 48 shows in one year(at the time,I had an 01,and a 06)----during those showa(years),I had 4 long guns,and 2 handguns "walk off" my tables--reportig the theft to the LEO,I was told("Just turn it into your insurance co"-NEVER got compensated)Then there was the Gun GURU-"You want 200.00 for your new 870 express????shoot man,Dunhams had them 20 years ago for only 185.00" or "Boy I like that gun if it was only a 16ga with a cammo trigger"--"oh dang,it's a16 ga with a cammo trigger,I was looking for a 28ga with green flames"---------at the last two shows(that year),we took in a total of
    0.75---------I parked the motor home and did not even attend a gun show for seven years

I now do only 6-8 shows a year------need the extra time to take my GRANDKIDS fishing,target shooting,and soon--they will be hunting with grandpa....

tallend

We have to get our priority's in order.........................:D

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    One other thing, you do know that you can get in at 8am on Friday? If you get there right at 8am, you should have plenty of time to get set up and still have "goof off" time before the show opens to the public.

I was getting ready to ask that. I got a table this year and I was pretty sure they said you could get in at 8am. Should give one plenty of time to set up. Of course, I have 1 table with various odds and ends so I imagine my set up time will be significantly less :D

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    I try to do 2-3 small shows a year, just in my general area. Tables run $35-$40. Usually I have enough stuff that I can get everything set up in about 30 minutes. It's a good way to get rid of unwanted gear, older gear, maybe a gun or two to put towards something else you want.
    Have never really had a problem with theft, work the table with my father, so we have eyes on constantly. Meet a lot of nice folks, some who just want to talk. And I always love to talk guns! I watch the kids more closely, they have a tendency to pick stuff up and not be too careful, such as knives and scopes....
    After you work a couple you get to know all your fellow dealers and some nice deals can be had!

Top Bottom