• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • katfishinking

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    southwestern ind.
    im just wondering, who else is canning goodies for the upcoming winter, or whatever? weve already done 50 pints and 19 qts. of corn, 45 qts. of beans, just done 10 qts. of tomato juice with about 100 lbs. to go, and about 150 lbs. of taters. it sure will be good this winter, or if SHTF.

.45 Dave

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    Green beans, peppers and tomatoes and onions ( at least I think she plans on canning onions. My job is to till, plant, and weed). My wife makes home made pizza sauce which she uses for a variety of dishes. All this we are canning just as soon as the veggies are ready.

TheRude1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    INDY
    Just a class on that tonight and man we had some good samples of canning from several people
    Sorry you missed it, a lot of info was shared tonight
    Class description:
    ""Will be showing equipment and methods used for hot water canning,pressure canning and putting away your garden groceries from Indiana gardens.
    Basic and High end equipment used for processing will be at hand to see and discuss

We will also be swapping recipes so bring a sample of your work if you can.

For the beginners we will help take some of the worry out of the process and show how you can have fun with the family and tailor recipes to your taste and diet""

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I pickle. Hot pack some jalapenos and asparagus. Mostly because it's delicious not for prepping.

I wouldn't want to have to depend on MY canned food for survival.

SockMonkey

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    This is our first year doing any canning. We did a small batch of spaghetti sauce with our neighbors, and we're going to be doing green beans today. Not sure what else we'll be doing. I think it's going to be a small process this year.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    50+ quarts of sweetcorn in the freezer. Canned 27 quarts of greenbeans, 8 quarts of peaches Saturday and will have about that much again ready this week. We're probably 2 weeks out from canning tomatoes. Tomatillo's got put in the ground late, so salsa verde at the end of the month.

SockMonkey

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    We've done 15 pints of green beans, 13 of them sealed. I guess that's not too bad for our first ever attempt at canning on our own? We still have lots more to do, but our schedule has just gotten turned upside down. I gotta do dishes and wash more jars and lids tomorrow so I can work on getting more done.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Just an FYI for those canning.

I've been sanitizing jars using Star San. It's an acid based, no rinse sanitizer that's food safe. Started out being used in dairy operations and then brewers started using it. I've used it for home brewing and all kids of other things around the house. I keep a spray bottle full of it under the kitchen sink. 30 seconds of contact kills everything to something beyond four 9's.

Products | Five Star Chemicals & Supplies, Inc.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I've been sanitizing jars using Star San. It's an acid based, no rinse sanitizer that's food safe. Started out being used in dairy operations and then brewers started using it. I've used it for home brewing and all kids of other things around the house. I keep a spray bottle full of it under the kitchen sink. 30 seconds of contact kills everything to something beyond four 9's.

You use it on your kids?

I use it it too. If you use distilled water in the spray bottle, the mix stays clear and fresh for a long time.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    You use it on your kids?

I use it it too. If you use distilled water in the spray bottle, the mix stays clear and fresh for a long time.

I've felt like using it on the kids at times. "What the heck is all over you that smells that bad?" B)

A buddy turned me onto the distilled water thing a few years back. I just assumed it's because our water is so hard.

We've got about a bushel and half of green beans to do tonight.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    My Wife has done green beans, peppers, hot mixed veggies, salsa, made grape,apple,mixed fruit and blueberry jelly, blueberry sirup, pickles

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    I've felt like using it on the kids at times. "What the heck is all over you that smells that bad?" B)

A buddy turned me onto the distilled water thing a few years back. I just assumed it's because our water is so hard.

We've got about a bushel and half of green beans to do tonight.

Star-San is roughly 50% phosphoric acid based on the specific gravity listed in the 'tech sheet'.
    Probably best not to squirt it at your kids. Or anyone's kids.

Just did 12 quarts of corn. Salted it a bit too heavily, but with some butter it's perfect.

Glacial acetic acid diluted down to 10% (twice vinegar strength/100 grain) works as a good canner cleaner.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I just finished up the first canning effort of the season. Jalapeno jelly. Tomorrow I'll use up some of the bell peppers in another recipe. When the tomatoes finally ripen, I'll be doing salsa, tomato sauce, and diced tomatoes.

usaf64

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2012
    I've done 21 quarts of Roma tomatoes so far. I'll be doing another 7 quarts of them and 7 quarts of Big Boys Friday. I planted a 12 foot row of Kale and we've got so much of it I'll need to can it on Monday. I did so many hot peppers last year that I only planted three plants this year. I planted four tomatillo plants this year and I'm hoping to can some salsa verde at the end of the season. They're really good. They're more closely related to gooseberries than tomatoes, even though they look like green tomatoes. We eat a couple of the smaller ones for dessert every night. I've even sliced them and put them on ice cream. It's kind of like having fruit on it.

Top Bottom