Who's making the best bait casters these days?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The bummer is that Shimano is ending their lifetime over the counter warrany rods as of this year. At least I have one!
    It might be worth shopping ebay and the like to pick up a used one, confirming that they'll continue to honor rods sold as such.

St Croix's "lifetime" warranty becomes less than when shipping both ways is paid. :xmad: It was cheaper to buy their replacement tip section than use the warranty. Anyone interested in a St Croix 5wt fly rod with new unused tip section?

Edit - Oops, we were talking reels. I like Curados. I sold both of mine recently and have been using a small Citica I like a lot too.

Last edited:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I spent around 14 hours with the Revo SX this weekend and I can only describe it as a love affair. After not doing any significant work with a baitcaster in the last six years I only had two backlashes and one of them was caused when I was attempting to free a spinnerbait I had stuck into a log. I pitched, flipped and casted with it and it was a dream. The fishing was tough but with 84* surface temps that's not surprising. Thanks again for the recommendations, particularly on the Revo SX.

hotcorner5

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I really like Abu Garcia baitcasters. I have the low profile sx. I had a graphite rod but I broke it so I reverted to my ole faithful- the "ugly stick."

The baitcaster offers a very smooth real with spool controls that helps prevent any backlashes. I had an older model prior to getting this real so it took me a day or so to get it dialed in exactly where I liked it.

Who Dares Wins

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    Plainfield
    I just bought an Abu Garcia from Dicks as an upgrade to a 20 year old spinning set up I got from K-Mart. I like it so far, but still getting used to it. Quality seems pretty good.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I really like Abu Garcia baitcasters. I have the low profile sx. I had a graphite rod but I broke it so I reverted to my ole faithful- the "ugly stick."

The baitcaster offers a very smooth real with spool controls that helps prevent any backlashes. I had an older model prior to getting this real so it took me a day or so to get it dialed in exactly where I liked it.

The Ugly Stick's (I have one from many, many years ago, so maybe new ones are different) just get so heavy when doing a lot of casting. I generally prefer a nice 6'6" medium action casting rod, since I do a ton of casting (generally running 2 rods at a given time, most of the time with a spinner bait on one and a crank bait on the other, unless conditions demand switching one to something else).

Top Bottom