• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I don't know what sort of state the guy was in once the off duty cops arrived. Don't know if he was silent and just simply refused to get up or was violent with theatre staff and his caregiver at any attempt to get him leave or somewhere inbetween.

Regardless of what state of mind and action he was in. The moment these off duty officers went hands on, were they acting as security guards or as policeman with full arrest powers?

Would anybody in the know care to answer the bolded?

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I doubt that they guy's Downs had anything to do with why he died. It was more likely positional asphyxiation that killed him, and that would not be unique to someone with Downs. The fact this type of force was used would not be unusual or unwarranted if the guy did not have Downs. It wasn't until very recently that officers began being trained on how to interact with autism spectrum disorder patients and how the best method is to NOT treat them like everyone else. Hell, it wasn't all that long ago that we as a society would lock those people up and disregard them totally into an institution.

Who said having Down's was the specific factor in the cause of death?

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Petition calling for investigation into death of man with Down syndrome goes viral

I'm ASSuming the theatre staff are the ones who called the mall cops (off duty officers in this case) to have this guy removed.

For starters, it used to be common in theaters that showed a movie over and over that people would decide to stay and watch it again.
    When did that change?

Second, and MOST important, it wouldn't take "special training" for me to know I'm being too rough with somebody and am hurting them.
    Especially when I have two other guys helping me and the person is clearly overpowered.

This reckless use of force needs to be answered for.
    And NO, I'm not "anti-cop", as my grandfather was one.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    For starters, it used to be common in theaters that showed a movie over and over that people would decide to stay and watch it again.
    When did that change?

Probably about the same time the theaters became multiplex and people would get up and go to a different movie? I am speculating.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Would anybody in the know care to answer the bolded?

policemen (mostly) always have police powers. it makes no difference if they are working a police/security side-job or not. This is one reason you see a lot of officers working off-duty as security, because they can solve problems from start to finish without taking on-duty patrol officers out of service and they tend to get the problems solved quicker since they are already on-scene.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    policemen (mostly) always have police powers. it makes no difference if they are working a police/security side-job or not. This is one reason you see a lot of officers working off-duty as security, because they can solve problems from start to finish without taking on-duty patrol officers out of service and they tend to get the problems solved quicker since they are already on-scene.

So I can hire my own personal cop? That'd be great. They could ticket douche bag drivers on my way to and from work. They can enforce noise ordinances on my neighbors. I'd have total protection from thieves who might try to break into my house.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    So I can hire my own personal cop? That'd be great. They could ticket douche bag drivers on my way to and from work. They can enforce noise ordinances on my neighbors. I'd have total protection from thieves who might try to break into my house.

Sure. Apartment complexes, and certain celebrities, do it all the time.

Absolutely no conflict of interest either. Nobody would ever say, moonlight at Bar A after hours and give the competition Bar B extra scrutiny while on duty.

Lots of IMPD guys work part time security for bars. I've yet to see any complaints such as yours. Why would I be harder on a different bar while I'm on duty just because I work security for somewhere else? I think you're over estimating how much someone doing security work cares.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Second, and MOST important, it wouldn't take "special training" for me to know I'm being too rough with somebody and am hurting them.
    Especially when I have two other guys helping me and the person is clearly overpowered.

I'll have to disagree with that. In a real struggle its not nearly as clear cut as sitting in front of a computer imagining a scenario and knowing the outcome. That's why no one, including individuals engaged in self defense, are judged by "reasonable" and not by "minimum" force. As with so many things, its easier to imagine how you'd do it than to actually do it that way.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    It's a shame I wasn't there. I would have just bought the guy a ticket so he could see the movie again.

But then again I have an autistic son, so I'm a bit more patient with people that have Autism or Downs than a lot of others. I live with it every day.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Disabled man killed in movie theater by police had inexplicable throat injury | Police State USA

A Grand Jury heard the case and dismissed the officers, but the Saylor family’s attorney points out the lack of objectivity at the hearing, according to Your4State.com. The aide, nor any of the theater witnesses, were there to testify.

“It was a homegrown investigation done by the Sheriff’s department on the Sheriff’s department by the law enforcement going to a Grand Jury,” says Joseph Espo, the Saylor family’s attorney. ”It’s my understanding that the only witnesses [at the Grand Jury] were the investigating officer and the three deputies.”

The fractured cartilage was shown to have occurred while Saylor was still with a heartbeat. “It can be seen in a manual strangulation, ” said expert witness Dr. John Hunsaker to Your4State.com. “But in and of itself, one would be difficult to diagnose without more information. And it can occur as a result of a direct blow.”

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Disabled man killed in movie theater by police had inexplicable throat injury | Police State USA

A Grand Jury heard the case and dismissed the officers, but the Saylor family’s attorney points out the lack of objectivity at the hearing, according to Your4State.com. The aide, nor any of the theater witnesses, were there to testify.

“It was a homegrown investigation done by the Sheriff’s department on the Sheriff’s department by the law enforcement going to a Grand Jury,” says Joseph Espo, the Saylor family’s attorney. ”It’s my understanding that the only witnesses [at the Grand Jury] were the investigating officer and the three deputies.”

The fractured cartilage was shown to have occurred while Saylor was still with a heartbeat. “It can be seen in a manual strangulation, ” said expert witness Dr. John Hunsaker to Your4State.com. “But in and of itself, one would be difficult to diagnose without more information. And it can occur as a result of a direct blow.”

Top Bottom