Why all the accessory rails on handguns?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    I don't mind the rail on my P365XL, but I'll never use it. Same with the optics cut (new models). My CM9 pocket gun has no rail; I'm fine with that. My G21 has a rail with a Streamlight TR-7 permanently mounted. That is a house gun that will never see the inside of a holster, though. The only gun I absolutely detest a rail on is the 1911, which by the way: does NOT need an adjustable rear sight, and ambidextrous thumb safety, a rounded main-spring housing, a square trigger guard, a shorter than 5" barrel, a non-skeletonized hammer, or a non-beavertail grip safety. Just my opinion. Everyone has their own likes and dislikes, much like pizza.

Attachments

• pineapple-97840.jpg
      pineapple-97840.jpg
      59.5 KB · Views: 5

blain

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Evansville
    You can never have too many rails on a hand gun.
    What, are you going to use duct tape to secure your flashlight, laser, vertical grip, red dot, bi-pod, etc?

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    These pistols used would be what I'd look for:
    Sig 226 40SW
    HK USP 40 - has a proprietary rail that you would hardly notice
    Or pick up a 10mm revolver and shoot 40 and 10mm
    There are currently several Ruger P-Series pistols in .40 S&W available on gunbroker.
    The Ruger P-Series pistols are rugged, reliable and, most importantly, amazingly accurate.
    Search for P-91, P-94, and P-944 to see the .40 S&W pistols WITHOUT a rail!

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Older Sig P229s and P226s are available in.40 without the rail, and are readily available as Police trades at good prices if you look around.

Also, the Beretta 96 could be had in .40 without a rail. It was quite popular about 20 years ago, and I imagine there are still a few floating around out there.

Or you could just live with it, and open yourself up to a lot of options. I too used to hate the idea of a rail on a dedicated CCW gun, but ended up wanting a Beretta 92X compact, and the only one I could find had the rail. I quickly found that it doesn't matter...the gun still draws, points, and balances the same. There's not enough material there to feel the difference, and it doesn't hang up on stuff like I've heard people claim. Lately I've been carrying a P220 compact, with rail, that I bought to give my classic P245 a break. Once I got the trigger upgraded to an SRT to match my P245 and the horrible cast hammer strut replaced with an older forged part, I can barely tell the difference between the two guns, and the rail hasn't been a problem at all (aside from needing its own holsters). Yes, it's not quite as visually appealing, but in practice it hurts nothing and gives you options if you ever decide to use the gun in a different role.

W3s

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2019
    Indianapolis
    I agree, rails on pistols look too chunky and tactical, for my liking anyway. I don't mind the "rails" on glocks though, they are pretty sleek

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Manufacturers put rails on handguns so you have a way to mount all of the unnecessary add-ons that they produce.
    Purely a marketing gimmick.

INP8riot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    West Central
    To put a light on it. I'm not sure why else a rail would be on a handgun. There are plenty of target models that don't have rails, but from a defensive use, being able to positively identify a target in the dark requires lighting.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I hate the frame rails on handguns. Who wants a dang cheese grater on your pistol. (Seriously, some of these rails have some rather tough machined edges)

Now the new optics plate thing I could care less about, I just will never take the plate off.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    What prompted my thread is this: several weeks ago I decided that maybe I would like to have a compact 40S&W pistol by a well known and respected manufacture to enjoy at the range. I want a 4in barrel with a relative capacity of 8 to 12 rounds. 40S&W is a caliber that I do not have in my safe although I did have a S&W 40 (SVDE?)years ago and found it a pleasure to shoot and I thought I might like to have that pleasure again. Of course I need another firearm like I need another hole in the head but hey, I'm retired and enjoy shooting at Atterbury often.
    Suggestions for a pistol without an accessory rail would be appreciated. And please no Glocks. I'm not a Glock hater I merely don't find them attractive.

For a range gun in .40, I'd go for a heavyweight like this one. Handsome pistol. GB showing about 10 or 15 without rails right now. You can find them cheaper, but this one's in good shape, and has ported barrel, if that's your thing. I'm assuming the porting is non-factory, but looks like they did a clean job.

pix231177307.jpg

GB link:
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1021257260

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I was going to say that there are 1911s chambered in 40S&W but upon searching I only see "out of stock." They do exist out there but maybe only on the used market now

Is it just me, or is a 1911 in 40 S&W heresy?....asking for a friend

Top Bottom