• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • richardraw316

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    thank you guys for taking my comments with a grain of salt. i dont hate any pistols, well maybe hi point, i just get tired of the 1911 hype. 1000 dollars is to much to pay for any handgun.
    side note i am not a fan of the Glock hype either, but i wanted to customize a pistol, the glock was the cheaper of the two.
    i am building a custom Glock with all the trimmings. Every part is aftermarket and with custom engraving, it still cost 400 dollars less than a kimber. to me that is crazy.
    i am working on the tacticool rocks. Black with some engraving on them.
    if your rock is not working well after 500 throw break in, then its your fault, your limp wristing it. lol
    some of you might be interested in an accesorie for 5000 dollars. i am calling it a sling shot. aka +p rock.
    for those with night hawk rock, a catapult. aka +p+ rock.
    a small wait on the catapult, and shipping on it is crazy expensive.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I saw the humor in his post and also the freak out over expense. Never owned a Harley either I bet.
    It is an addiction not unlike having a Harley. If you ever do own a 1911 of any make, one will not be enough.
    I bet the glock is a 9 mm.uuuggghhh
    JMHO

richardraw316

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    I saw the humor in his post and also the freak out over expense. Never owned a Harley either I bet.
    It is an addiction not unlike having a Harley. If you ever do own a 1911 of any make, one will not be enough.
    I bet the glock is a 9 mm.uuuggghhh
    JMHO
    no actually, it is a glock 22 in .40 cal, the one i am building is a 357 sig.
    never will own a harley. good comparison. both are still around because of the people who only buy "merican stuff". harleys are overpriced loud oil leaking Death machines, again just like the higher end 1911s.
    1911 that are finicky, can be forgiven when they are cheap, but 1300 dollars, it better fire everytime and then come in and do the dishes.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    no actually, it is a glock 22 in .40 cal, the one i am building is a 357 sig.
    never will own a harley. good comparison. both are still around because of the people who only buy "merican stuff". harleys are overpriced loud oil leaking Death machines, again just like the higher end 1911s.
    1911 that are finicky, can be forgiven when they are cheap, but 1300 dollars, it better fire everytime and then come in and do the dishes.

Wow, never saw any of my Harley's. They did not leak, outran most of the jap stuff around (Not all but most) and were reliable unless I asked something of them they were not supposed to do. The 1911 is still around because it is the best and most raced gun used in competition and just plan shooting. I have several 1911's and only 2 are plus 1k. They are both competition pieces. The rest were sub 1K and are all great pieces. They never miss a beat. I like my plastic guns as well but my first love, like yours, ls with what I love and cherish. Been shooting a 1911 of some kind or the other since 12 years old...1962
    Glad you are into something that hits hard. .40 and .357 rock.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Another nice thing about the 1911 is that it's a relatively simple weapon to completely disassemble and clean. There are not too many modern guns that can have every part removed by an average owner. Some come close, but too many modern guns have a bunch of tiny springs and require slave pins to reassemble. The 1911 is simple to maintain.

Those lucky enough to be comfortable with a 1911 are rewarded with a trigger that's sublime, a gun that's accurate, a round that's effective and a piece of history that is more effective today than it was when first built. For those that are sadly uncomfortable with a 1911, well, they have to use lessor tools of self defense. :(

Hobie8

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Lake County
    There's no hype.......1911s just plain ROCK. I purchased my first one back in the summer, and the more I shoot it, the more I love it. Might even trade off my G19 to finance another 1911.:ingo::D:D:D:D

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Just like the Chevy vs Ford debate, haha. I think they are great guns, and own 3, but I also own several other pistols as well. As pointed out, they are popular because the military used them for so long. Many people it was the first pistol they used, they got out and got one for home defense since they already knew how to operate it. Its the same thing with America's Black Rifle. Granted, I LIKE the 1911, and not as much the AR15 body style (which I also have one of as well).
    But, back to the original point, most people go with what they know. Also, I know for me personally, I love how it feels and how it shoots. Best stress reliever that I own.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    i am building a custom Glock with all the trimmings. Every part is aftermarket and with custom engraving, it still cost 400 dollars less than a kimber.

I don't know how you can do all of that for less than $400. My Kimber cost me $780 and didn't need any extra work to make it nice.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I don't know how you can do all of that for less than $400. My Kimber cost me $780 and didn't need any extra work to make it nice.

There is a huge miss-conception about prices for 1911's. Yes the colts are up there but if you can find one it is cheaper new than used right now. Buddy walked out the door with a new Colt Gold cup in stainless, brand new in the box under $1100...out the door.
    I have purchased 4 1911's last year and only 1 was more expensive than the Gold cup. It was a Springer Trophy match in .45 ACP, stainless and I was out the door at $1200. Th others were not a lot more than the much coveted glock, Sig etc. I paid more for my H&K USP than the 2 Springers (1 field officer 1 loaded) so what is the big freaking deal. Buy what you like, use what you buy and love all of them.

octalman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    I've searched and read alot of posts about 1911's. It seems like this is the most popular model. What is it that makes everyone drool over it? I'm not trying to start a war or anything, just wanting some good info. I went to a gun show in Brazil today and saw a few and of course they look good.

The 1911 and Hi Power are brilliant designs. Virtually every semi auto pistol manufacturer since is standing on the shoulders of the 1911. When you scratch deep enough in many designs since, there is some 1911 element a designer thought he could improve. We are fortunate to have many excellent choices in brand and execution of the 1911 and other types altogether. Pick what you like and enjoy.

A friend has a 1911 model manufactured in 1918 that is accurate, reliable, and looks like new. It will be interesting to see how many plastic pistols are still accurate and reliable after 100 years.

richardraw316

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    i was not talking used. i am talking every part new. and built yourself. and most important i do not have a real problem with 1911. i love to customize to my personality. i am not rich. so i chose glock. it is the cheapest to customize easily. when you buy a kimber, it is built nice. the way someone else wanted it built. it is not "yours" if you can go on the internet or to a gun shop and buy one just like it. yes you can customize it after you get your kimber, but why would you sink even more money into it? kimber are made "ready", with no need to upgrade. where is the fun in that? you want a kimber to look like a kimber, i want my glock, to look like something other than a glock. i reconize that they are ugly.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    i was not talking used. i am talking every part new. and built yourself. and most important i do not have a real problem with 1911. i love to customize to my personality. i am not rich. so i chose glock. it is the cheapest to customize easily. when you buy a kimber, it is built nice. the way someone else wanted it built. it is not "yours" if you can go on the internet or to a gun shop and buy one just like it. yes you can customize it after you get your kimber, but why would you sink even more money into it? kimber are made "ready", with no need to upgrade. where is the fun in that? you want a kimber to look like a kimber, i want my glock, to look like something other than a glock. i reconize that they are ugly.

That Kimber was brand spanking new, bought at Elmore's in Greenwood. Since buying it, I have had some fun with swapping grips, but it was great right out of the box. My point was simply that I think you are over estimating the cost of a good 1911. The most expensive 1911 I own is a Sig Scorpion and that cost $900 brand new. It's been a great pistol and has the potential to be as great a pistol someday if handed down to my great grandson or granddaughter. Glocks are great guns if that's what works for you. They don't work for me though.

richardraw316

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    Would be interesting to see if any of the Glock designs survive 100 years. Doubtful.
    if the us government picks it up as a side arm. then its possible. lets face it, thats the only reason the 1911 is still around. the government is cheap, and refused to replace millions of sidearms unless they just had too.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    if the us government picks it up as a side arm. then its possible. lets face it, thats the only reason the 1911 is still around. the government is cheap, and refused to replace millions of sidearms unless they just had too.

I would say that is untrue. The 1911 became very popular after WWII bc they were cheap and parts were everywhere from GI guns. The aftermark companies and customizers saw that and took advantage of it and the rest is history as they say. Its a Platform that can go tens of thousands of rnds without replacing major components, it fits almost everyones hand, its a natural pointer and they have been proven to be reliable over 100 years. Ill admit I havent read this whole thread and im sure this has all been mentioned before, But its still true.

The Beretta M9 is the GI sidearm now and I doubt it will be around 100 years from now. Nothing wrong with them they just arent as universal as the 1911 imho.

richardraw316

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    I would say that is untrue. The 1911 became very popular after WWII bc they were cheap and parts were everywhere from GI guns. The aftermark companies and customizers saw that and took advantage of it and the rest is history as they say. Its a Platform that can go tens of thousands of rnds without replacing major components, it fits almost everyones hand, its a natural pointer and they have been proven to be reliable over 100 years. Ill admit I havent read this whole thread and im sure this has all been mentioned before, But its still true.

The Beretta M9 is the GI sidearm now and I doubt it will be around 100 years from now. Nothing wrong with them they just arent as universal as the 1911 imho.
    i agree with you on somethings, of course their is alot of support for parts, it is 100 years old. What i am trying to say is there are tons of great firearms that dont get the reconition they deserve because a major military did not pick them up. the 1911 was in the right place at the right time. had it been ten years before or after, i am not sure the us would have adopted it. john browning knew that the 1911 was not the end all be all in handguns, if he thought it was, he would not have bothered with the hi power. And this is the guy who designed the weapon.

you should be proud of the hand gun you have chosen. if you love 1911, more power to you. just keep an open mind to other designs. their might just be something else to love out there.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    Um...
    Millions of sidearms that worked beautifully.
    Just sayin'...

Top Bottom