• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    Need some INGO logic here, folks. Last Saturday I was stoked. Found a Glock 26 in stock and got good trades on what I took in, so picked it up. Mind you, I'm getting back in 9mm after a short hiatus caused in part by my concerns that 9mm ammo would be hard to get in the near future. So what do I do but buy a 9mm! And, WOW was I right about ammo availability.

It's got me thinking I screwed up in a big way and should've gotten a G27 or XDS.

Talk me down!!!

Tommy2Tone

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    All ammo is hard to come by right now. If you have time, watch the gunbot throughout the day. The good deals are gone in minutes though. I was able to get 750 rounds for about what I would have paid a year ago. You made the right choice, 9mm is cheaper to shoot and you will most likely shoot it more once all this settles down. But i'll take the g26 off your hands for you if you really don't want it.

GunBot find 9mm ammo in stock

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    All ammo is hard to come by right now. If you have time, watch the gunbot throughout the day. The good deals are gone in minutes though. I was able to get 750 rounds for about what I would have paid a year ago. You made the right choice, 9mm is cheaper to shoot and you will most likely shoot it more once all this settles down. But i'll take the g26 off your hands for you if you really don't want it.

GunBot find 9mm ammo in stock

Unfortunately I'm so busy throughout the day that I miss most deals - by the time I can watch anything I'm at home and most deals have already been snatched up.

I LOVE the gun, but feeding it is my concern. I can go to my local Wal-Mart or Big R and get just about any of the 40 or 45 I want at decent prices - but 9mm just doesn't exist locally.

What's a fair price on a <70 rounds fired LNIB Gen 3 Glock 26?

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    While 9mm is currently scarce at the moment, I would bet that availability will rebound sooner than you think.

I'd appreciate your insights into this line of reasoning - are the rumors of the government buying up the majority of the 9mm being produced just that, rumors? Why 40 and 45 abundance and NO 9? I realize the popularity of the 9 is greater, but still...

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    While 9mm is currently scarce at the moment, I would bet that availability will rebound sooner than you think.

I think you are right. I have been able to pick up 2,000 rounds of 9 in the last couple of months at decent prices, between walmart, cabelas, and LGS. Unfortunately it is still hard to find by the case. Now .223, don't get me started on that.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    I'd appreciate your insights into this line of reasoning - are the rumors of the government buying up the majority of the 9mm being produced just that, rumors? Why 40 and 45 abundance and NO 9? I realize the popularity of the 9 is greater, but still...

Because although civilian panic buying and government hording has depleted the on hand for sale supply - they are not firing the ammo as they get it - both groups are stockpiling it. They want that "I feel safe and stocked" supply of ammunition - it is not being consumed upon purchase.

Let us just assume that demand stays where it is (which it won't, because the current trend has been brought on by panic, and has left many people with large caches of ammunition) - manufacturers would recognize this and step up to increase their revenue.

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    Because although civilian panic buying, and government hording has depleted the on hand for sale supply - they are not firing the ammo as they get it - both groups are stockpiling it.

Lets just assume that demand stays where it is (which it won't, because the current trend has been brought on by panic, and has left many people with large caches of ammunition) - manufacturers would recognize this and step up to increase their revenue.

Good point about the market possibly starting to get saturated.

BTW, Hornady, at least, made a statement about how they're trying to keep up...
    A Word on Availability - Hornady Manufacturing, Inc

Dj15802

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Avon, IN
    oh GREAT........another Glock Hater!
    I realize it would be frustrating not being able to shoot your new purchase as you'd like. Just hang in there and keep looking because ammo is starting to trickle in.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN

.40 has not seen the shortages that the rest have. .45 has been in short supply until the past week or so. .22LR is harder to find than 9mm.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Lots of people regretting their recent purchases, and lots of people unloading some of their guns right now. Because of the current availability of handgun ammo, I have seen some pretty good deals on pistols. If the G26 is what you want, hang on to it, and keep your eyes open. Stocks will start to build back up, and ammo wont be so scarce. If you sold it now, you would be regretting getting rid of it as soon as ammo becomes more readily available.

Dj15802

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Avon, IN
    A little sarcasm towards the title of regretting the purchase of the 26... Since there is always an abundance of people bashing Glocks.

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    Lots of people regretting their recent purchases, and lots of people unloading some of their guns right now. Because of the current availability of handgun ammo, I have seen some pretty good deals on pistols. If the G26 is what you want, hang on to it, and keep your eyes open. Stocks will start to build back up, and ammo wont be so scarce. If you sold it now, you would be regretting getting rid of it as soon as ammo becomes more readily available.

When did you and my wife talk? :)

A little sarcasm towards the title of regretting the purchase of the 26... Since there is always an abundance of people bashing Glocks.

I'm a realist when it comes to good weapons. I appreciate the ones that work. I avoid the ones that don't.

Blackdog765

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    I wouldn't be concerned about feeding it "right now"... as one could be thinking more about feeding it over the long haul. Since 9mm is one of the most popular rounds, I would hate to even guess how much of it is stored in attics, basements, and behind the drywall. It's out there. And assuming TEOTWAWKI happens, I would assume 9mm would be available on some level for a long long time. While I'm not a prepper, those that are seem to focus on 9mm as the currency of the future - so I'm sure it's out there.

It sounds like maybe you don't have a very large cache of ammo for your 9... and if not, then that might be where you want to focus your attention over the next several months. There are many ways to think about these things, and everyone is different. For me and my planning, I have calculated a minimum quantity that needs to be on hand, and then try to FIFO the stock as it is shot and replaced. There have been times when I have foregone my next hardware purchase, because I'm still back filling my disposable inventory that feeds all the hardware.

I don't typically shoot as much as I want to, and currently am shooting less than that... due to local stock levels. But this too shall hopefully pass, and we can get back to a normal way of buying. It certainly hasn't been normal since Dec 14.

XDLover

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Delaware County
    Come back off the ledge. Just bare with the tide and it will be back to normal soon enough.
    I just look over Gunbot and check my normal sources. I've not bought much of anything since this crazyness took off. Even stopped short of buying a couple guns because they weren't in my caliber I have.

Top Bottom