• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    I spent 13 months and 15 days in southeast Asia in 1970-71. When I left I swore I would never touch an M-16 again. It's not been hard to keep that oath. I'd like to hear thoughts on the popularity of the AR platform. What is the attraction for most folks ? Does ownng and shooting one result from being a special forces or law enforcement wannabe ? Are they the most effective platform for 3 gun shooting ? Are they considered the ultimate target and home defense weapon ? ( A theory I don't happen to subscribe to ) Are they considered to be the essential weapon to be used in the event of civil war or a zombie attack ?

Just curious what the mystique actually is. Would love to hear thoughts from AR afficianados - perhaps w/background re: whether you're a combat verteran or non-veteran, law enforcement, etc.

BTW, I just learned if you are retired military you can get a 15% discount on Verizon monthly phone service and 25% discount on accessories just by producing your DD214. Just do a web search of Verizon discount for Veterans for more information. This may be what caused me to reflect on AR use - seems like the oddest things can kick start my memory working. :patriot:

OWGEM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    I find the AR a cool weapon that is fun to shoot. Isn't that enough reason?

While in service I never carried an M-16, although I qualified with one. I did fire plenty of M-60 machine guns along with rockets and grenade launchers while flying gunships. They are more fun to shoot, but harder to come by these days.

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    a friend of mine had one when i first started shooting. i shot it, i wanted one. i like the low recoil, good accuracy, light weight, decent capacity and the overall versatility of the platform. ive played 3 gun games, shot targets at 500 yards, rang steel and chopped down trees with it. i am not, have never been and do not plan on becoming or want to be military or leo. i just want to shoot small projectiles at high rates of speed at targets in a safe environment of my choosing.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Why a glock? Why an AK? Why a 1911? Etc....

Answer is...because we can. I like ARs because they are fun to shoot, accurate, and feel better than an AK. ARs for me have also been extremely reliable. I don't run them in the sand or dirt but I shoot them and leave them and don't worry about cleaning them. Little lube and done.

So, they're fun and because

zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    The REAL answer is that the liberals want to ban them. If they were not the ultimate all around weapon for all those things you stated question for, then the dems wouldnt try to rip them from our hands. They are lightweight, accurate, have a large capacity of rounds, very easy to use, clean, and are very reliable. in the event of a civil war, shooting a shotgun in the air will be stupid, hand guns will be almost pointless for most people outside 50 feet. The first time i shot one i was hitting a 2inch by 2 inch traget from 100 yards with no problem(scoped of course). For me, its that the gov't and dems dont want you to have them, so in my view, that is the very best reason.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Accurate, reliable, lightweight (as long as you don't add too many mall ninja goodies), easy to disassemble and clean, operation of the system is easy, reloads quickly, can be customized to what you need/want without taking out another mortgage loan, available in multiple calibers while not having to buy a complete rifle to get a second caliber out of it, ammo is decently light (.223/5.56) so you can carry a lot of it... those are just what I gather from it off the top of my head right now.

There's a reason so many manufacturers have copied the design. Kind of like Glock...

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Never in the service but here are my reasons for wanting one.

1. Because right now I can have one.
    2. They look cool.
    3. They are like what our military uses and they get to use cool things.
    4. Fun to shoot.
    5. Versatile.
    6. Accurate.
    7. Low recoil.
    8. My wife likes shooting them so she is more willing to support me building one or two.
    9. Will remain valuable as the years march on.

Not necessarily in that order and I am sure there are other reasons to own one, but I have to stop and eat dinner.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Sounds like nothing we say will change your mind, thus my confusion on the nature of the question.

The M16 is a much different weapon than in your time when you carried one. The days of constant failure due to lack of planning and design oversight (i.e. "You don't need to clean them", no cleaning kits issues, unreliable fouling ammo, etc...) are kind of over with.

No matter what weapon you have, VERY harsh and muddy climates will foul them or make them inoperable. I've choked an AK with mud before. I had an AR I abused and it continued to run, despite having a handful of pea gravel thrown into the lower receiver. Everything is relative.

As much as one would love to disparage a platform that I enjoy, I, like yourself, are unswayable in my liking of certain platforms. I have trained around them, trust them and enjoy them. Trying to prove them to one that is diametrically opposed to it is a fool's errand at best. I will not sit and say, "Well, when Johnny Beijing invades, you take you (insert favored weapon system) and I'll take me (favored weapon system) and see what fails first". That's goofball at best.

A weapon is a weapon, pure and simple. The glory of the American system of firearms ownership is directly linked with our massive industrial/commercial complex: We can own a wide variety of arms, in a wide variety of calibers for a wide variety of reasons. We aren't the military (who are issued weapons based on their governing body's needs and requirements), nor are we mandated certain arms (such as India where only one company makes firearms for civilian use, a modified Webley design that is HORRIFICALLY expensive).

Your question seems to ask, "Why are you guys liking ARs? I will never own one and you will never convince me..." when it seems that you stated your intended answers in your post. Sorry if it comes off arrogant, but questions worded as such seem to intend one thing: conflict.

tohm

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 26, 2012
    Lowell
    The AR is a great platform kinda the small block chevy of semi auto rifles. It has been modified and configured in many ways to accommodate various uses and affordable. It has been improved over it's lifetime to be accurate and reliable.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I'm not a fan. They are very expensive compared to any other rifle type. They are not accurate (compared to most any other equally priced rifle...they are not as accurate as a $350 Savage in any caliber). I have no need for rapid fire capability. They are not light. They are cumbersome for hunting. They are not ergonomic, I've never thrown one up to my shoulder and thought it fit right despite many attempts. I do not drag my rifle through harsh muddy requirements or roll on the ground with them trying to shoot at paper...and if I did a bolt gun will always be more reliable than an autoloader. I have no need for long 30 rounds to get in the way of my hunting or target shooting, and I don't spray-n-pray. I don't need tactical crapola on a rifle...I have no desire to play army or worry about zombies. I do not see them as versatile for anything that I do. They are nowhere near the top of my list for hunting (weak calibers generally(.223 is a varmint round and not legal for deer in many states), not that accurate for the cost, expensive, heavy, bulky, and no pretty wood). They are not at the top of my list for home defense (shotty with Buck is much more effective and on a slimmer, more ergonomic, and simpler platform). I know this flies in the face of many who like them and they always get their tactical panties in a bunch when I point this out (my flame suit is on :P ) I personally see no need for one, and if there ever is a need I'll pick one up off the ground or use a rifle to blast a guy 300 yards away that has a nice rig and go get his LOL.

Having said that people love them and that's fine. I just can't and won't get into it. I don't disparage those who do, but I clearly disagree with many of their reasons for doing so.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Kinda' like asking a bunch of bikers why some of them like Harleys. There is no answer which will satisfy a dedicated Honda/Kawasaki/ Suzuki rider but Harley guys will adamantly defend their choice. I wonder if the OP is looking for somebody to convince him why he should get an AR or just looking to stir the pot. I could sure get by without my AR but I enjoy shooting it.

By the way, I am a retired LEO but IPD didn't have ARs back in the day of the hickory nightstick.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Why did previous generations all have an 03 Springfield, Garand or M14? I think there is a belief that if they are used by the military they must be good solid dependable weapons. I don't think in most cases it has anything to do with being a wannabe ninja.

fdbc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Westfield
    I like DRob's answer relating them to a Harley. I do not yet have one but I am doing some research and considering buying or building one. The main reason I am considering one is cause my daughter thinks they are cool and I would like to have something that we can do together before it's not cool to hang out with me.

grasshopperlegs

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Cartersburg.
    I also was in Nam in 1970-71. I was Naval Advisor and I had the M-14 for just a short while and they took it away and gave me the M-16. I didn't like it because it got dirty quick and quess what ? They didn't give us cleaning equipment. So I didn't have the M-14 and now I had a rifle that wouldn't work so I picked up a Ak-47 and it did what I needed the rest of the time I was there. It wasn't as light as the M-16 or as accurate but it worked. When I came back to the States I was reintroduced to the new M-16 and I liked it because they got all the bugs out of it. It didn't jam or failed to feed. So I was ok with it. I stayed in and did 22 years. I told myself that I also wouldn't pick up another m-16 but I was wrong. My wife got it for me for my Birthday (Early) and I couldn't be more happier with it. I like the recoil and it hits what ever I aim at. I didn't want to make this to long but I feel that we are about the same age and I felt that you would like some feedback from a old guy.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Because I want one of every gun. Theyre all beautiful pieces of engineering in their own ways. Its not a matter of best or worst, thats all relative. Anyone who can tell you that one firearm is the best, is very short-sighted.

You dont have to like them, but you can at least see them for what they are, and respect that. Even if you never want to own one.

Top Bottom