Why are gun shop employees/owners predominately dicks?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ilikeguns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Prairie Creek
    This is very simple. The gun business has always been a traditionally "manly"business. This means there is a lot of testosterone, ego and supreme confidence involved on BOTH sides of the counter. A very confident man doing the buying does not want to be led by the hand. This instantly makes him bristle. The very confident man behind the counter feels that his advice is worth something and Is not afraid to voice his opinion. In most cases one or the other is man enough to let some things go and just roll their eyes and move on. In some cases one or the other just has too much ego and gets butt hurt that the other person did not recognize them as someone who obviously needs no help. They then bash the other person to prove their superiority. By your own statement the guy just tried to sell you on a gun that he had in the store when he didn't have what you asked for. That's what salesmen do.

Danicus

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    well, the last local shop I went into; I got kicked out. watch what you say, because people get touchy when you comment on how high and overpriced their .22 lr section is.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    well, chances are, if their .22 stuff is overpriced, I wont come back anyway. Maybe once a year to check and see if theyve come to their senses yet.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Looking through this thread I see a lot of "Us" have become spoiled. It is easy to get on line and find a low dollar deal for about anything and just wait for it to land on your porch. I really prefer to look at what I am buying if possible. Guns especially. I have not and will never buy one without touching it. For this reason I think some folks want the LGS to show a bit of appreciation for the business they bring.
    That said, when I am ready to break out several hundred from my budget for a gun (sometimes more) it makes sense that customer service is part of that package.
    I look past some of the issues mentioned (crusty etc.) and focus on why I am in the store. 2 of my favored LGS are full of conversation and friendship. 1 not so much as they are always slammed. The last one is mainly just for a purchase as they are slammed as well. Never has been a store you can strike up a conversation in. Look at each place for what it is and use it as such. I have made many friends and had good experiences for the most part in the LGS frequent.
    These places are under the gun (pun intended) right now and over whelmed with newbies and idiots looking for things that are not available right now.

I agree. I have become one of those shoppers who sits down at his home office desk, orders what I want and wait for it to show up on my porch. I try to support the local businesses but I must buy odd items. Most of the time, I drive around visiting several stores only to not find what I was looking for, so then I am driven back to the computer.

Today I was within 15 minutes of a store that I wanted to check out since they are highly regarded here. So I decided to check them out. I was there for about 10 minutes and unfortunately I left without feeling like I would want to do business with them considering that normally for me it would be a one hour+ drive to get there.

I will pay a slight premium to the LGS, but there has to be some justification for me that there is value added. Long drives, no parking, lack of service, limited inventory and higher prices just won't cut it with me.

leakywaders

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 10, 2012
    highland ind
    Was at Cabelas the other day and wanted to see a gun that was in the display and the clerk asked if I was a Indiana resident which I said yes and he got out the gun. Was that a survey? I dont remember Blythes of Westforths asking me that.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

I had a conversation on this subject a few years ago at a meet & greet donw in Noblesville with a local gun store owner. His take was that many lgs owners were in the business due to a love of firearms and had limited customer service skills.

I have to agree with Ilikeguns's observation. On both sides of the counter are often times folks who each know that they are knowledgeable about this topic.

I read years ago about how women were better at selling cars than men. They weren't as pushy and asked more questions to help the prospective buyer. Women weren't as aggressive as men so customers wouldn't run from them as much when approached on a car lot.

This wouldn't work with must gun owners. Most gun owners (my self included) would bristle a bit at being asked, "why do you want that gun?" We are a bit more... "sensitive" than the average consumer to perceived privacy issues. This limits the lgs in how they can help us as customers without offending.

Gun stores tend to create clicks. I have noticed throughout this thread that many of the folks commenting have (and I am paraphrasing of many), "there are two or three, OR one lgs that I go to and the service there is great!" Well, that means that all the rest, without saying it, have been "less than great, maybe far less." So congratulations, you have become part of the click there. What if I walked in the door? Would the service I receive be the same? Maybe, maybe not.

As I post this I a thought has occurred to me: How do we know if anyone knows anything about guns? Think about it... This is a topic that is ONLY learned by experience and/or reading. There is no degree in firearms information. A gun smith knows how firearms work, but not necessarily the history of the Luger, or the Sharps rifle, or the exact history of the development of the modern US battle rifle. We are never objectively tested on our favorite subject. If I got a Bachelors degree in History specializing in WWII at least I would have some credentials that I know what I am talking about. This wouldn't mean that foks without a degree would necessarily know less, but it would show to the casual observer that I had to get through a standardized study regimen and pass tests as to whether I actually retained what was taught. If I got my Doctorate in history and my doctoral thesis was on the supply of rations to troops throughout the 20th century I could probably call myself an expert on military rations. Firearms? No general degree exists. All it takes to be an expert is to walk into a gun store and stand behind the counter or in front of it. This can cause a lot of friction.

Another simple observation is that most gun owners do not like to be told what to do(again, myself included). They want to be left alone to do their own thing, and if'n ya'll don't like it, thar's the damn door - don't let it hit ya on yer way out! This attitude can carry over to gun store owners and employees. While I respect everyone's right to have this opinion it doesn't bode well for good customer service as a foundational principle.

I do not believe the customer is always right. I do believe the customer always gets the benefit of the doubt until they prove themselves unworthy of wasting my time.

In the end I believe it is the the lgs best interest to provide the best service possible. Twenty years ago they were our only resource. Today we customers can get on the internet and purchase from anywhere in the United States. We can have many things shipped to our door without ever having to leave the comfy quarters of our home. This leaves one thing for the lgs to provide - service. Great service will give us an incentive to get out and enjoy the experience.

Regards,

Doug

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    This is actually cracking me up. I dont own a gun store nor do I work in one and I dont have friends working in any.

But if you think bad customer service is limited to gun stores you don't get out much. I don't know why all of sudden it's so popular to bash the gun shops. Maybe because they are getting slammed and the customers are pissed off about everything that is going before they walk in the door?

I do know that I get better customer service at most gun shops than I do at common stores and restaurants here in the metropolitan Indy area. One thing about gun shops at least I can usually find like minded people there, or should I say I used to be able to find like minded people. There is only one gun shop I wont do business with and if I had to I could probably sit down a write a full page list of "other than gun shop type" business's I wont deal with in Indianapolis.

But hey this is a gun forum so lets air all our complaints about gun shops here because there is no other place anyone is going to give a crap about these complaints. Think about it and overall I bet you dont get any worse service at gun shop's overall than you do at any other business.

RobertaX

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Broad Ripple
    That guy (most often a guy) on the other side of the counter is probably a hobbyist just like you. It's not a high-paying job; he's likely there 'cos he likes guns. He's probably not a universal expert.

He's probably seen and handled more guns than most folks, which helps, but he's no more immune to hobbyist-type enthusiasms than you are.

Gun stores with ranges are good, even more so if they have rentals: you can ask which guns give them the most trouble. This tends to at least channel any fanboy stuff.

Ultimately, I don't care what they say unless they're pointing out real flaws; I just take their chatter as background music and smile and nod, while looking at the gun I am considering. (Helps that my hearing isn't very good!)

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    But if you think bad customer service is limited to gun stores you don't get out much.

I do know that I get better customer service at most gun shops than I do at common stores and restaurants here in the metropolitan Indy area.

But hey this is a gun forum so lets air all our complaints about gun shops here because there is no other place anyone is going to give a crap about these complaints. Think about it and overall I bet you dont get any worse service at gun shop's overall than you do at any other business.

Well said. I have had many hobbies over the years and I have run into the same thing. Also since the economy downturn, overall customer service has declined partly due to leaning out organizations and hiring part time untrained people that are cheaper. Remember when Circuit City fired all their long term employees and started over with a fresh force? How did that work out for them?

It is true though that we hear it here because it's a gun forum. Go to a bicyclist forum and you will read the same.:)

slackerisme

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Just north of Ft. Wayne
    I hear all the time about bad experiences people have at local gun shops.. the "salespeople" tend to be rude, condescending know-it-alls. Not all of course, but a great deal of them to be sure. I normally blow it off, well, until today...

It happened yet again, to me.

If I had a f'in dollar for every time I asked about a specific (firearm, holster,ammo, etc), even if it's on their shelf, and was met immediately with: "Oh no, you don't want that, that's a big, heaping POS. What you want is (insert whatever the hell I pull out of my f'in bin, pocket or holster)", I'd have all of those items that I should or should not have considered!

It's not even a premature up-sell, sometimes the "gold" they present is even less expensive that what I'm looking at. It seems seems to me that more often than not, their personal preference supersedes whatever it is that I am looking at/for.

As an enthusiast/collector for often longer than they've been alive, it gets irritating- who in the F is someone, who wants my cash, to immediately tell me that an item, that might be perfect for my collection/use, is not what I want?

It's not their job to assume what I want, it's their job to find out what I want! Amirite?

I wish these were isolated incidences, but it happens all over in Indy and I'm no stranger to retail sales. The only LGS (outside of a big box) that I felt someone wasn't trying to talk me "into" or "out of" a firearm was that wonderful little place in Paoli near our cabin (the name escapes me at the moment).

</rant>

Sorry, don't mean to dump- but am I alone here in this frustration? Anyone else tired of being treated like an idiot rather than a customer?

Then You should not have asked for their opinion. Better yet when they give it, laugh at them and repeat your request. If you have researched your purchase and did not ask for an opinion screw 'em.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    To All,

I had a conversation on this subject a few years ago at a meet & greet donw in Noblesville with a local gun store owner. His take was that many lgs owners were in the business due to a love of firearms and had limited customer service skills.

I have to agree with Ilikeguns's observation. On both sides of the counter are often times folks who each know that they are knowledgeable about this topic.

I read years ago about how women were better at selling cars than men. They weren't as pushy and asked more questions to help the prospective buyer. Women weren't as aggressive as men so customers wouldn't run from them as much when approached on a car lot.

This wouldn't work with must gun owners. Most gun owners (my self included) would bristle a bit at being asked, "why do you want that gun?" We are a bit more... "sensitive" than the average consumer to perceived privacy issues. This limits the lgs in how they can help us as customers without offending.

Gun stores tend to create clicks. I have noticed throughout this thread that many of the folks commenting have (and I am paraphrasing of many), "there are two or three, OR one lgs that I go to and the service there is great!" Well, that means that all the rest, without saying it, have been "less than great, maybe far less." So congratulations, you have become part of the click there. What if I walked in the door? Would the service I receive be the same? Maybe, maybe not.

As I post this I a thought has occurred to me: How do we know if anyone knows anything about guns? Think about it... This is a topic that is ONLY learned by experience and/or reading. There is no degree in firearms information. A gun smith knows how firearms work, but not necessarily the history of the Luger, or the Sharps rifle, or the exact history of the development of the modern US battle rifle. We are never objectively tested on our favorite subject. If I got a Bachelors degree in History specializing in WWII at least I would have some credentials that I know what I am talking about. This wouldn't mean that foks without a degree would necessarily know less, but it would show to the casual observer that I had to get through a standardized study regimen and pass tests as to whether I actually retained what was taught. If I got my Doctorate in history and my doctoral thesis was on the supply of rations to troops throughout the 20th century I could probably call myself an expert on military rations. Firearms? No general degree exists. All it takes to be an expert is to walk into a gun store and stand behind the counter or in front of it. This can cause a lot of friction.

Another simple observation is that most gun owners do not like to be told what to do(again, myself included). They want to be left alone to do their own thing, and if'n ya'll don't like it, thar's the damn door - don't let it hit ya on yer way out! This attitude can carry over to gun store owners and employees. While I respect everyone's right to have this opinion it doesn't bode well for good customer service as a foundational principle.

I do not believe the customer is always right. I do believe the customer always gets the benefit of the doubt until they prove themselves unworthy of wasting my time.

In the end I believe it is the the lgs best interest to provide the best service possible. Twenty years ago they were our only resource. Today we customers can get on the internet and purchase from anywhere in the United States. We can have many things shipped to our door without ever having to leave the comfy quarters of our home. This leaves one thing for the lgs to provide - service. Great service will give us an incentive to get out and enjoy the experience.

Regards,

Doug

Guilty as charged.
    Well said as always.
    You must be very careful and type slowly so we can all keep up........;)

indytiger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    The term for them is sexual intellectual. (_ucking know i all)

You left out, you should be glad I finally decided to let you look or buy a gun from me.

Don't know the feeling go to Bradis guns you will find out.

Have had great service from Plainfield supplies. Real nice folk, because of the treatment bought 3 in one visit.

isellpower

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Carmel
    I didn't intend for my first post here to be negative, but I had to jump in on this one. I was just transferred here from Missouri and the first thing I did was go looking for a new gun store/range. My local mom and pop store in MO was chock full of dick-heads and forced me to head to Cabellas where I could mostly help myself. I travel quite a bit and like to shop the local gun stores. Just like my local store, the people behind the counter would rather stand around and b.s. with the regulars then even give you a hello.
    My latest encounter here involved my shopping for a Ruger SR45. After standing around waiting for the employees to finish up bs'ing with the regulars, who apparently just hang around the store, one gentleman finally asked me if I needed some help. I asked him if they had an SR45 in stock and if so how much was it. He literally laughed in my face and said, "That's a brand new gun and in high demand, you'll never find one." Then one of the hangarounds began to blabber about how a 40 cal had more velocity blah, blah, blah. I drove home and immediately bought one from GunBroker and it arrived on Friday (for list price, no markup). It is absolutely true that gun stores have a higher percentage of douches behind the counter.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I didn't intend for my first post here to be negative, but I had to jump in on this one. I was just transferred here from Missouri and the first thing I did was go looking for a new gun store/range. My local mom and pop store in MO was chock full of dick-heads and forced me to head to Cabellas where I could mostly help myself. I travel quite a bit and like to shop the local gun stores. Just like my local store, the people behind the counter would rather stand around and b.s. with the regulars then even give you a hello.
    My latest encounter here involved my shopping for a Ruger SR45. After standing around waiting for the employees to finish up bs'ing with the regulars, who apparently just hang around the store, one gentleman finally asked me if I needed some help. I asked him if they had an SR45 in stock and if so how much was it. He literally laughed in my face and said, "That's a brand new gun and in high demand, you'll never find one." Then one of the hangarounds began to blabber about how a 40 cal had more velocity blah, blah, blah. I drove home and immediately bought one from GunBroker and it arrived on Friday (for list price, no markup). It is absolutely true that gun stores have a higher percentage of douches behind the counter.

1st off...welcome to ingo. You will enjoy it here I am sure if for no more than the comic relief.

2nd...Indianapolis gun club not far from you. A great selection of handguns and other "Have to have" items.
    Bobs in plainfield...Plainfield shooting supply's.
    Bradis if and when they get the store re-stocked
    just to name a few.

Last edited:

BKExpress

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    Gaston, IN

Welcome to INGO! :welcome:

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    155   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    I see that you must have some unresolved issues

The term for them is sexual intellectual. (_ucking know i all)

You left out, you should be glad I finally decided to let you look or buy a gun from me.

Don't know the feeling go to Bradis guns you will find out.

Have had great service from Plainfield supplies. Real nice folk, because of the treatment bought 3 in one visit.

Sir, If you feel that you have been treated unfairly, Did you bother to say anything to management at Bradis? They are usually there 7 days a week. Or if you would like to PM, I would be glad to help you work though your issues

GaDawg

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2012
    Muncie
    Boy I wish I could open a shop. I have always felt the same as well. LGS need to keep opinions to themselves unless asked. I am the kind of person that researches everything. When I walk into a shop I have already compared like weapons and have an idea of why I would like one over the other. This is where the shops put their foot into their mouths! They start telling a line of BS thinking they r going to sell u something when in my case in my head I'm going "Seriously". For example I at one timed kicked around getting a plastic gun. Well when I walked into a LGS around here it was if it ain't Glock it don't count or yea that other one is nice but oh this this Glock. Yes Glocks r nice but I myself don't prefer the angle of the grip, zero safety features, and I just didn't want one. I was convinced the guy or "expert" probably couldn't even tell me how the two differed in design besides name and look. O and I still can't get over calling a LGS and trying to get a price for a Remington 700 and the salesmen didn't have a clue what I was talking about thought I was referring to some kind of "Vintage" gun. I said well they have been making these models long enough I guess u could call them "vintage" but no I would like a new one then politely said I would shop elsewhere.

Top Bottom