Why are gun shop employees/owners predominately dicks?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tatorchip

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2012
    I've had the same bad experiences at my LGS. I asked for a specific Sig model and was immediately shown some random brand/model because it was a close-out and the guy just wanted to get rid of it. I was also met with the same arrogance and indifference as some others have mentioned.

eSC

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    New Pal
    Personally, I have no problem with anyone coming on here and discussing a bad (or good) experience. But if your goal is to "open some eyes" (depending on whose), wouldn't it be better to address the shop and/or the employee rather than, or in addition to this thread?

No. I'm not going to "school" LGS personell individually on their poor people skills. Can you imagine their reaction? I would then become a version of what I'm complaining about- one of "those" customers, who either know it all or cannot be pleased in their eyes, and that helps no one.

I would think it's better if they come here and read the responses of all of those who have had similar experiences and recognize that it might be a problem they care to work on. Power in numbers if you will.

Other than an opportunity to vent, that was part of my goal as we all know many frequent these forums. Hopefully it's helped in that regard.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Perhaps, though, as I see it, no more than you equating the voicing of my opinion with being raised poorly. .
    WTF?! Who said I was talking about YOU?? Complex much?

Go back and re-read it.

You said employees won't B&M about customers because it's in their best interest not to. I said maybe the ones that don't B&M were raised to have better manners than that.

Reading comprehension tip:
    I'm saying some of us on the other side of the counter deal with jerks too, and maybe we that don't constantly complain and tattle were just RAISED better than to run to the internet/gossipy friend/whoever and blab it all.

Simmer down. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

FMJ

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    Fort Waste
    BTW, I forgot to mention that I am not just looking for a firearm for myself, but I am trying to help a couple of first-time, prospective gun owners find a firearm. With one phone call, my former favorite shop lost 3 sales!

I have alittle tale to add to the heap on this subject.

Have been hunting the "just right" carry gun for the wifey. (you know how women are about clothes/shoes...well mine is like that about guns) Anywho, we go to a local gun shop, i was standing a bit down the way drooling on the counter looking at some things i would like to see in my safe, listening intently/watching out of the corner of my eye.

Shes wanting to look at a specific revolver that has caught her eye. Well, the owner/manager and a hired flunky were helping her. She no more than uttered what it was she wanted to see/fondle, flunky says "I think you would really like this PINK .380." Wife politely says , "no, thanks, i really like the looks of that Smith revolver." So the owner reaches down and pulls out the pink .380 and says "i think you would REALLY like this for a carry gun." Wife says, "no, (little more tritely) i want to see that Smith .38 with the bobbed hammer!" Owner and flunky AGAIN say "but this PINK .380 suits you." Wife says, "first of all i HATE pink, second i dont WANT a damn.380 and if i wanted that ugly POS i would have asked to see it." She then says to me "LETS GO! I am DONE with this place...for GOOD!"

As i turned to follow her out like a good hubby (puppy dog) i notice one of my buddies ( even more of a gun nut than I and one that is VERY well connected n the local gun community) that was at the other end of the counter. We say "hey" say a few quick words...wife was giving me the evil eye because she knows where this is going... so i cut our convo. short.

The next Fri. we saw each other at the local watering hole and discussed at length the stupidity of the LGS people and how they drove a paying customer out of the shop for good. He also told me how he had watched the exchange and was shaking his head the whole time...whenever he sees the wife he asks if she ever got that PINK .380 she wanted sooo badly:lmfao:
    There are now three stores in this town/area i will NOT set foot in. One due them being cock robbers and thinking their merchandise deserves a 50-100% markup, one due to pure lack of common sense/customer service and the last because the wife told me to stay out...and after watching how they treated a "newer" shooter of the fairer sex...wont waste a penny there!

People in the business of selling guns would do well to heed what has been discussed in this thread.

Beemer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    I stopped by a local sporting goods store today, just to see if they had any sub compacts. When I asked if they had a Glock 26, I was told that you can't get a Glock right now. I left.

Drakkule

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Butler,IN. 46721
    I just started working at my local shop as the front counter person. If at anytime, any one of you feel like i am not treating you, as you should be, feel free to kick me in the butt, and tell me what i'm doing wrong. I have done sales work in the past, and i try to focus on the customer, so i hope this won't be a problem i will have to deal with. I have shown pistols other than the one asked about, but only if we don't have one in stock. I have also suggested a different pistol, if i have had first hand knowledge that the one requested has had problems, or is dangerous. I just don't want anyone to regret, or be hurt by an uninformed choice, normally it is a Jennings, Bryco, or one of the other "ring of fire" guns. As far as customers with an attitude, i just figure they have been given the run around somewhere else, and expect the same here, so i don't let it bother me. All this being said, i'm still an a==hole, but at least i'm funny.

eSC

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    New Pal
    WTF?! Who said I was talking about YOU?? Complex much?

Go back and re-read it.

You said employees won't B&M about customers because it's in their best interest not to. I said maybe the ones that don't B&M were raised to have better manners than that.

Reading comprehension tip:
    I'm saying some of us on the other side of the counter deal with jerks too, and maybe we that don't constantly complain and tattle were just RAISED better than to run to the internet/gossipy friend/whoever and blab it all.

Simmer down. :rolleyes:

Simmer down? I'm hardly boiling upset over you.

I am curious though...

How in the world can you tell me that I did not comprehend a comment and then, in the same response, confirm my assessment of your comment?

And don't be silly, I knew you weren't addressing me specifically but you did craft a shoe, and it indeed looked to be of my size.

eSC

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    New Pal
    Then You should not have asked for their opinion. Better yet when they give it, laugh at them and repeat your request. If you have researched your purchase and did not ask for an opinion screw 'em.

I didn't ask for their opinion. I asked if they had stock of a particular item. They said no and here's why the item you are looking for sucks.

But again, this isn't just about one visit. That's just the visit that broke the camel's back so to speak.

Beemer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    Maybe the wholesalers they use were out?

Not every shop uses the same resources.
    Understood, it just seemed more of a "you can't find any guns out there" and that the government is going to be taking them all. Perhaps I misread his behavior, just seemed that way when I was there.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Simmer down? I'm hardly boiling upset over you.

I am curious though...

How in the world can you tell me that I did not comprehend a comment and then, in the same response, confirm my assessment of your comment?

And don't be silly, I knew you weren't addressing me specifically but you did craft a shoe, and it indeed looked to be of my size.

You keep saying that.
    But I do not think it means what you think it means. :n00b:

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I feel like, being a rookie to handguns (not shooting, I just don't own a handgun) when I go into a store and tell them I want a sw40ve, and I'm just wanting to check it out, and get an idea on the price, they shouldn't be trying to talk me into something different. I have my reasons I want a certain gun, I don't mind if they make inquiry's as to why I want it, but they need to understand its my hard earned money to spend as I see fit. The ones that dont try to help when your not buying that day won't get a sale from me, but if they are helpful I will be back for ammo, holster, a different gun if I get another, whatever.

Last edited:

eSC

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    New Pal
    You keep saying that.
    But I do not think it means what you think it means. :n00b:

Seriously?

You really don't get the direct implication of your own statement?

Huh..

Okay.

Theeeeen, it's probably best if you and I merely exchange pleasantries, when necessary, from here on out.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    I feel like, being a rookie to handguns (not shooting, I just don't own a handgun) when I go into a store and tell them I want a sw40ve, and I'm just wanting to check it out, and get an idea on the price, they shouldn't be trying to talk me into something different. I have my reasons I want a certain gun, I don't mind if they make inquiry's as to why I want it, but they need to understand its my hard earned money to spend as I see fit. The ones that dont try to help when your not buying that day won't get a sale from me, but if they are helpful I will be back for ammo, holster, a different gun if I get another, whatever.

Well an experience I had was the other side of that, granted it was my fault. I bought a keltec p11 because Id never see one before, its double stack so it fit great, it was 250, and when I asked about it everyone was mindlessly saying, oh yeah, good gun, good gun. Obviously because it was the last one and they wanted rid of it. I bought it, had done no research on it, and its the worst gun Ive ever shot, HS buddies old hipoint 380 was better. I wish someone would have been interested and ask questions, and suggested alternatives. I did learn a good lesson though, in my whole life Ive never had a problem resisting the urge to buy something until Ive researched it, UNLESS IM IN A GUNSHOP...

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    you did craft a shoe, and it indeed looked to be of my size.

Never mind

Edit for clarity;
    Upon clicking back to page one, I have to say I thought the OP was a different poster.
    Now I understand where wires got crossed.

So, yeah... B&M about it or not. Personal choice.
    I don't see where it gets you anywhere different, but I guess that's for you to determine.

Last edited:

bigkahunasix

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Oh forgive me for having been raised to expect courteous service.

Is it that awful to point out the lack thereof on a board of like-minded consumers/retailers in hopes that it may open some eyes?

Or should I just shut the hell up and not let them know that they are walking away from sales?

Poor reputations like those of used car salesmen and lawyers are earned. Are you saying we should all help our merchants fall into the same category with "well mannered" silence?

No, you should have addressed your concerns to either the shops manager or owner instead of whining on the internet about it where it has no impact on the issue.

Be you own man and address the issue intelligently and eloquently- Who knows, you might have helped someone else in the future as well as helping yourself.

As a former gunshop owner, I would have offered you a cup of coffee and a seat and addressed your issues concerning any aspect of my shop. And I believe you would get the same treatment from most LGS.

BK6

Top Bottom