Why are holsters considered optional or a luxury?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Holster skills are a fundamental part of defensive pistol skills. Even home defense. You may need to do three other things during a home defense situation and only have two hands. Holsters for handguns, slings for long guns whenever time and opportunity permits. It's also a darned convenient way to carry a pistol around for most other purposes as well.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    How many holsters do you see featured in all of the Hollywood action movies or TV cop dramas?

I'd bet a majority of people could tell you what type of gun James Bond carries, but very few could tell you how or where he carries it.

Holsters aren't a priority in pop culture, which sadly is how a vast majority of people get their firearms knowledge. Guns just appear in movies and on TV, so most people just aren't educated enough to understand the importance of holsters.

I also think Mohawk Slim makes a good point that many new gun owners don't really consider carrying the gun, they are thinking about one for the home, so the thought of a holster never really factors in.

This statement sure started me thinking. The only two I can remember was Dirty Harry and the Miami Vice TV show where the holsters were somewhat glamorized.. As sad as it is to say I believe you have a valid point. If they don't see it glamorized on TV they don't consider buying it.

The second vid stresses exactly what Coach preaches in every class that draws from the holster. A holster that allows you to re-holster with one hand is a MUST because re-holstering is generally where the mistakes are made.

[FONT=&amp]
    From my Army days:

Beginner: learns the rules
    Intermediate: applies the rules
    Proficient: understands the rules
    Expert: understands when the rules don't apply

The topic at hand was explosives, BTW, frankly more dangerous and easier to screw up than guns.
    [/FONT]

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I think a part of the question is what we view the holster as?

Is it a gun bucket on the belt, to throw the handgun into? Avoiding carry in the hand and or holes in our bodies from accidents resulting from "mexican" belt carry.

Or is it a means for securely carrying the primary self defense tool? Safely maintaining the handgun in a position optimised for repeatable fast access?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    For my carry gun, it is an important part of the "system".

For my nightstand, safe queen, and plinking guns, it is a completely unneeded annoyance.

'course, that's just my opinion.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I think that every time I have bought a new handgun, I came home and ordered 1 or 2 holsters and 4 or so additional mags immediately. Then it stays home until those arrive.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    This statement sure started me thinking. The only two I can remember was Dirty Harry and the Miami Vice TV show where the holsters were somewhat glamorized.. As sad as it is to say I believe you have a valid point. If they don't see it glamorized on TV they don't consider buying it.

It seems the only holsters you seer in the movies and on TV are shoulder holsters.

308jake

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg
    I only have holsters for the handguns I carry. There are some guns that I have no intention of carrying or shooting except on range trips. The guns I carry have holster homes.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I wonder if BBI can add "holster" to the stats he collects?

Much like reloads, it would be interesting to see if the presence or type of holster has any statistical impact on the outcome of a self-defense shooting.

As far as successful self defense? I can try but I haven't done so. Much more convincing to me is the people with new holes in their ass, thigh, gibbly bits, etc because they were carrying without something covering the trigger. They pull while they are a little excited and get on the trigger to early and shoot themselves trying to repel a car jacker, they are still hyped up and try to put it away and catch it on something and shoot themselves in the ass or they are fingering it in their pocket.

It can also help in attempted disarms, even if not an actual retention holster. A forward cant kydex holster defeated an attempted OC gun grab from behind because the gun didn't pop out immediately, whereas a waistband carry gun would have been gone.

If at all possible, a non-collapsing holster that allows one handed reholstering is the best option. If for some reason that's not an option, a collapsing holster that can be removed from the belt, the gun holstered off body, and then the holstered handgun put in the waistband/in the pocket would be the next best option.

Holsters aren't just carry devices, they are safety devices for both before and after the use of a firearm.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    If at all possible, a non-collapsing holster that allows one handed reholstering is the best option. If for some reason that's not an option, a collapsing holster that can be removed from the belt, the gun holstered off body, and then the holstered handgun put in the waistband/in the pocket would be the next best option.

Holsters aren't just carry devices, they are safety devices for both before and after the use of a firearm.

A holster that comes off the belt for re-holstering runs a real risk of coming off the belt with the draw. It is far better to get a holster that holds it shape and allows one handed re-holstering.

HKUSP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Danville, IN
    I always tell a new gun owner that intends to carry that when budgeting a purchase to add $300 for accessories. That's where the real money is going to be spent in the long run. Extra magazines, practice ammunition and range time, training, and the holsters. Most of my carry guns have at least two holsters so more options for where to carry while dressed in different ways are available.

I think some of the people you're encountering just aren't thinking out the entirety of their financial commitment they are making. Then they try to cheap out.

My girlfriend won a rifle in a charity raffle awhile back. It was just a bare rifle with nothing included. The sling, scope, mount, case, cleaning kit, and first 200 rounds of ammo exceeded the MSRP of what the rifle goes for. (Of course she was starting from scratch).

Chris

MrBlue54

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2012
    LaPorte
    I guess I think about the first time gun owner and how much research do they do before they walk into the LGS. Do they consider why they are really purchasing the gun? Home defense, CC, or maybe target shooting. They most likely do not consider the idea of range time, ammo, targets, ect. Or the cost of the extras? Let alone training costs.
    I recall that when I purchased my 1st gun 2 yrs. ago I budgeted for cleaning kit, holster, and safe as well. I would not carry until I had spent time in dry firing including drawing from and re-holstering the gun. As a friend told me that the draw is the most common mistake people make. He also suggested 300-draws before actually carrying. While I am not there yet, I can draw/holster one handed and feel comfortable in my ability to do so.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    A holster that comes off the belt for re-holstering runs a real risk of coming off the belt with the draw. It is far better to get a holster that holds it shape and allows one handed re-holstering.

I used to always carry an Alien Gear, and loved it. Extremely comfortable, and very concealing. I trained with it, and never had a problem. Then I was in a class, and screwed up a draw stroke, placing my thumb too high and pinching the leather portion between my thumb and the slide. Out came the holster with the pistol. While it was embarrassing, I was thankful it happened. I don't know how many draw strokes went perfectly before that one. I went home and ordered a custom piece from Hpclayto. It goes back to the maxim: "Don't train until you get it right, train until you can't get it wrong". I suppose that could apply to gear as well.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Definitely a concern with POS softies like Uncle Mike's or anything relying solely on a tension clip only, particularly when paired with a sub-optimal belt or even a great belt but for a different width of clip. I'd say it's much less of a concern with a quality two loop pull-the-dot holster. We're on the same page, though, as to what's preferred. Sometimes folks will want options for a less bulky set up, something that's a bit more concealable, etc. The only collapsible I have I never use any longer because it's for my Glock, but it's a tuckable design from High Noon Holsters and I've never had it pull loose on a draw and used it for years. I've lent it to two other cops for evaluation and they didn't have any issues with it pulling out either.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I used to always carry an Alien Gear, and loved it. Extremely comfortable, and very concealing. I trained with it, and never had a problem. Then I was in a class, and screwed up a draw stroke, placing my thumb too high and pinching the leather portion between my thumb and the slide. Out came the holster with the pistol. While it was embarrassing, I was thankful it happened. I don't know how many draw strokes went perfectly before that one. I went home and ordered a custom piece from Hpclayto. It goes back to the maxim: "Don't train until you get it right, train until you can't get it wrong". I suppose that could apply to gear as well.

I have seen this happen as well and why I never bothered with AlienGear. Took a good friend of mine out to the farm to shoot with his Shield while practicing drawing from the holster and shooting at a man sized USPSA target. We found the holster was over sized making it not east to draw, the cant and carry depth was wrong and my personal favorite it had a terrible habit of coming out with the gun (the ****ty plastic clips fault I think). I have been telling him for the last year to get a good holster made and after that incident he finally is listening to me thankfully, you get what you pay for that is for sure.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I have 3 types of holsters.

1). A non-kydex high heat resistant holster (I've read kydex can deform in a car that's left in the sun and I don't want that happening to one of my holsters I use) for my gun to go in while in my car. Placed so I can draw easily while driving. I also like it so I can carry my handgun from the truck to wherever and keep the trigger guarded while the gun is condition 0/1.

2). Kydex OWB. I like a full kydex holster. It keeps its form for re-holstering and has nice positive retention for the well built ones. I wear an OWB the majority of the time because it's more comfortable for me. With one designed for CC, a t-shirt or untucked button up will conceal the rig really well. OWBs get permanent loops where the belt threads through so the holster can't pull off when drawing.

3). Kydex tuckable IWB. For the same reasons as above, but I use this when I have to tuck in my shirt. I really don't like to IWB because it's uncomfortable for me, so this is my second method of carry that I only use when I have to. I like pull the dot loops and have found them to stay put very well when drawing.

Last edited:

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    I'm such a creature of habit. I carry one gun, I have two versions of the same gun. Of all the guns I own it is the only gun I carry. Been carrying that gun for many years. It is a part of my hand at this point, I couldn't imagine carrying another type of gun. All the other hand guns I own are basically for the range. If I stumble across a holster for one of them I'll pick it up, but even then they tend to sit in the drawer.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    You're right to be puzzled by those who considered holsters optional.
    I would go one further than you and state that I believe the vast majority of people who invest in a holster do it on the cheap, often getting the likes of a crappy Uncle Mike's nylon holster or other substandard setup.
    Not only do the cheap holsters not hold up very well, but they often don't support and secure the gun firmly, they don't conceal so great, and they're more often than not very comfortable, which often motivates the user to downsize his gun just to make it more tolerable to carry.
    I'm certain that most gun owners could comfortably carry full sized sidearms if they just purchased a top quality holster for it and (too many folks neglect this part of the equation) a high quality carry belt.
    I personally use a Kramer IWB#2 in horsehide for my only carry side, a full sized third generation S&W, but keep in mind that this particular is by no means cheap: $150, including shipping.
    However, this holster is about as good as it gets, fits my gun like a glove, and it's quite comfortable to carry even the beast that rides in it.
    Also, since it's horsehide, it'll outlast me by ages.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I have seen this happen as well and why I never bothered with AlienGear. Took a good friend of mine out to the farm to shoot with his Shield while practicing drawing from the holster and shooting at a man sized USPSA target. We found the holster was over sized making it not east to draw, the cant and carry depth was wrong and my personal favorite it had a terrible habit of coming out with the gun (the ****ty plastic clips fault I think). I have been telling him for the last year to get a good holster made and after that incident he finally is listening to me thankfully, you get what you pay for that is for sure.

Mine had the metal clips, but it still happened. Cant and height were very adjustable on mine, so that wasn't an issue. I still keep mine for when I carry in a NPE, and want to make sure there isn't a chance of getting "made." But that's pretty rare, and I think I'll get around to trimming the leather back to reduce issues.

Top Bottom