• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Quad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. I feel a bit silly asking questions like this, but I'm beyond caring what people think of me. There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

Right on. The only stupid question is the one that was never asked.

Anyway, I certainly enjoy shooting other calibers more, but the fact is 9mm's cost gets me to the range more, and that to me makes it worth it.

indianajoe

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    Fishers
    What I know of Que, he's generous in sharing his experience, balanced and good natured in his moderating, and adds to the community by priming worthwhile discussions. I don't honestly believe that he needs help deciding what caliber to carry. It's about starting a conversation. That's what it is.

Last edited:

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    I'm not a big recoil fan, never have been. My carry gun is an XD9sc and I love it. I use the Hornady Critical Defense rounds for EDC carry. For me, it's a matter of comfort and affordability. I can get a bag of 50 reloads for about $12 here in town and have a great time shooting.

I think your idea of getting a 1911 in a 9mm might just do the trick Que. Give it a try. Maybe it's more about the style of gun and less about the round itself.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Allen, this helps me to uncover what I'm trying to ask. Like you and JetGirl, I prefer the 1911 to any of my other handguns, but that is because of the narrow profile, the large caliber and recoil, and the gun fits my hand so well.

I would like to shoot 9mm for the cost savings. That being the primary goal, maybe I should invest in a 9mm 1911 and stop trying to find the Glock, Sig, HK, or M&P that will make me happy.

Now the question is, will shooting a 9mm 1911 help me become more proficient with my .45 ACP 1911? I see many people with GSG 1911's, but does shooting the smaller caliber in the same platform help improve shooting ability with a larger caliber gun?

Funny you should ask that.
    I was just doing that today with my GSG 1911. I think it can help but I had to really concentrate holding the gun tight enough or I would get lazy with my grip when shot .45

The other problem I had was the trigger on my GSG is harder than the 1911 I had with me, so that threw me off for a few rounds when I switched back. It made me think about doing a trigger job on the 22 :(

I think a 9mm 1911 is better practice for 45 than a 22. To me the 22 doesn't require much discipline to shoot well. But it is still trigger time even if its a 22

I think the 9 is more fun if you have something like a 1911 to shoot it out of. something more for pleasure than defense.

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    Allen, this helps me to uncover what I'm trying to ask. Like you and JetGirl, I prefer the 1911 to any of my other handguns, but that is because of the narrow profile, the large caliber and recoil, and the gun fits my hand so well.

I would like to shoot 9mm for the cost savings. That being the primary goal, maybe I should invest in a 9mm 1911 and stop trying to find the Glock, Sig, HK, or M&P that will make me happy.

Now the question is, will shooting a 9mm 1911 help me become more proficient with my .45 ACP 1911? I see many people with GSG 1911's, but does shooting the smaller caliber in the same platform help improve shooting ability with a larger caliber gun?

I have been a die hard 1911 man my entire life it is my favorite platform. I don't know if a 1911 in 9mm will solve your problem, some years ago I picked up a Colt Commander in 38 super and I hated shooting it, it just didn't feel right. The thing is I like shooting 9mm in other platforms I especially like the XDM and the CZ-75 but when it comes to the 1911 I couldn't imagine shooting it in 9mm. However I am very interested in trying one in 10mm. I don't know if its a recoil thing or what, but when I hold my 1911 I feel like I am holding a mans man pistol and that is ruined for me in the smaller calibers. Like my dad used to say. "Real guns are made out of steel, and shoot bullets as round as your thumb." :dunno:

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    Well you know what they say about the guy who drives the Big Fancy car or truck , "he is trying to compensate "

Maybe it's the same for the guy who will only carry the BIG caliber ...

Its a Freudian , Subconscious , rebellion in your mind to compensate for the "SMALL" things yoour packin ?:D:D:D:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Just a guess ....LMAO

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I think the 9mm 1911 is the direction I will go. I can reload it really cheap and continue with the same 1911 platform for EDC, FNS and range time.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I have been a die hard 1911 man my entire life it is my favorite platform. I don't know if a 1911 in 9mm will solve your problem, some years ago I picked up a Colt Commander in 38 super and I hated shooting it, it just didn't feel right. The thing is I like shooting 9mm in other platforms I especially like the XDM and the CZ-75 but when it comes to the 1911 I couldn't imagine shooting it in 9mm. However I am very interested in trying one in 10mm. I don't know if its a recoil thing or what, but when I hold my 1911 I feel like I am holding a mans man pistol and that is ruined for me in the smaller calibers. Like my dad used to say. "Real guns are made out of steel, and shoot bullets as round as your thumb." :dunno:

I've shot a few of Allen's 1911's in various calibers and really enjoyed them, even the 1911. I shot singlesix's 1911 a while back and liked it, too. Maybe it is just the platform. It took me buying three Glocks to accept the fact that I didn't like them. :laugh:

You should have seen how long it took me to find a driver that I liked when I was playing golf four times a week.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

I think it does. As Allen said sometimes it can cause bad habits as well since the 22 is so forgiving, but it allows you to shoot enough cheaply that if you concentrate and take some time to slow down, you can experiment and practice enough to really improve.

Pick your platform, then pick your caliber for carry, then get a conversion kit or a clone in .22 (or in your case 9mm) and practice away. That's my plan for the end of 2011 heading into 2012.

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    I've shot a few of Allen's 1911's in various calibers and really enjoyed them, even the 1911. I shot singlesix's 1911 a while back and liked it, too. Maybe it is just the platform. It took me buying three Glocks to accept the fact that I didn't like them. :laugh:

You should have seen how long it took me to find a driver that I liked when I was playing golf four times a week.

While I hate to admit it I did one time taste the Glock koolaide luckily I am very good at not repeating my mistakes. Whatever you do don't get me started on Golf LOL...:):

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    I know one of you gun shrinks can help me through this. ;)

hmmm....perhaps we need to delve into your childhood. Did you have a traumatic experience when you were 9 years old? Were your parents 9mm lovers and tried to force it upon you? Lol.

I recently switched from 1911 45s as edc to Glock 19 and I couldn't be happier. However, I feel about .40 as you do 9s. Not sure why either. It just doesn't feel right leaving my hand. Perhaps I have a deep rooted fear of turning 40!

I'll bet that 9mm 1911 will work out well for ya. It's a great reason to go get one, it's therapeutic! But really, who needs a reason to buy a 1911?

Kedric

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Grant Co.
    Best of luck on the 9mm 1911.

I am another who has just never liked the 9mm. :dunno:

I have 2 pistols chambered for it, but they almost never leave the safe. I just like my .45's too much I guess. In fact, I have one of the FNP 45 Tactical's on order now :rockwoot:

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    I also find the 9mm to be a little too boring for my taste. I have never really liked the round, but I have owned alot of 9mm over the years. I seem to like .357 mag, and 45 ACP as my carry/range guns. I own a Kahr CW9 that gets carried alot in the summer, but usually not at all the rest of the year. Funny how some rounds make you smile when you fire them and others make you think "what is the point". Shoot whatever makes you smile.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I think a Bobtail Commander 9mm might solve the problem. Bobtail Commanders do it every time for me :)

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I think the 9mm 1911 is the direction I will go. I can reload it really cheap and continue with the same 1911 platform for EDC, FNS and range time.

Prediction: it'll be up for sale in the Classifieds within two weeks. :D

Stop flirting with disaster and admit it, Que, you're just a big-bore kinda guy. And by that, I don't mean you're a big bore. :):

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield

Q I love u man. It's like we were twins separated at birth. Lol juse about every post of yours explains exactly the way I feel or think of the given subject.

I too cannot learn myself to like and stick with the 9mm round. However I did have a Para Ordnance LDA carry 9 that I absolutely loved to shoot. The double action trigger was incredible. Better then any poly gun with a DA trigger.

And yes it was perfect cheap practice with the 1911 platform. I am in search for another one actually. Stupid me traded mine off for a loaded Springfield 1911a1. I liked that one alot too but regretted the trade.

photo-116.jpg

This was the pair of Paras that I had at that time. Para sure has some nice guns. Carry 9 on the left, and slim hawg .45 on the right.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Q I love u man. It's like we were twins separated at birth. Lol juse about every post of yours explains exactly the way I feel or think of the given subject.

I too cannot learn myself to like and stick with the 9mm round. However I did have a Para Ordnance LDA carry 9 that I absolutely loved to shoot. The double action trigger was incredible. Better then any poly gun with a DA trigger.

And yes it was perfect cheap practice with the 1911 platform. I am in search for another one actually. Stupid me traded mine off for a loaded Springfield 1911a1. I liked that one alot too but regretted the trade.

photo-116.jpg

This was the pair of Paras that I had at that time. Para sure has some nice guns. Carry 9 on the left, and slim hawg .45 on the right.

That's interesting, since this is my EDC. Maybe we are twins. :D

Para Companion LDA
    DSC_0026.jpg

Top Bottom