• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hodgej1843

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    SOUTH SIDE INDY
    i have a old 20 gauge single with no name on it anywhere. and no serial NUM.MY WINCHESTER MODEL 67 HAS NO SERIAL NUM AS WELL.why did they produce these without them....

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Because "Shall not be infringed" used to mean exactly that. Back in the day, there was no registration, etc.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    It wasn't until 1964 (I think?) when the Federal Government mandated that every firearm be serialized.

I have an old Mossberg 20ga shotgun that doesn't have a S/N.

I have no idea how these things are handled by an FFL who might have one. Maybe they're required to put a S/N on?

-J-

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    It wasn't until 1964 (I think?) when the Federal Government mandated that every firearm be serialized.

I have an old Mossberg 20ga shotgun that doesn't have a S/N.

I have no idea how these things are handled by an FFL who might have one. Maybe they're required to put a S/N on?

-J-
    Within the past year I purchased an old 410 that doesn't have a serial from a dealer and there was no issue. Still did the NIC check of course and on the paper work the model was listed and then no serial. Same procedure as buying a gun with the serial.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Reminds me of the only gun that I have seen without a name, markings or serial number. A few years ago I was hunting pheasant with a successful businessman and his family. When the gentleman climbed into the truck he opened his double barrel and asked if I could hold it for him. I noticed no markings of any kind. Later that day we were talking guns. This same gentleman had trouble with his double barrel and was disappointed. Not in front of the boss, his dog handler went on to explain that the gun was worth over $80,000. What people pay for guns is not my concern, but to see a man carry a gun that collectable in the field, through the brush, pushing down barbed wire sure did impress me. A true gentleman's working gun.

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    I have two Mossberg bolt-actions from the 50s and neither has a number. The only time you can buy a gun from a shop and still have it untraceable back to you. Not that I would ever need that special feature but still kinda neat. :D

Its like seat-belts, a good idea until they become mandatory. :twocents:

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    i have a old 20 gauge single with no name on it anywhere. and no serial NUM.MY WINCHESTER MODEL 67 HAS NO SERIAL NUM AS WELL.why did they produce these without them....

They didn't have to put them on them. They don't serve any functional purpose.

buzz815

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Shelby cty
    I bought a Remington Nylon 66 in 1960. It was my first firearm and I still have it. It has no serial number. Just walked into store in Indy and paid the $69. No hassle about age and don't recall any paperwork.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    As an aside, some manufacturers did use serial numbers on their guns prior to 1968, but as stated earlier, they were not legally required to do so. I imagine it was more for internal tracking and QC than anything else.

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    I have two Winchester model 77 .22 rifles, They were made between 1955-1963. one has a serial number, and from the research I have done, I think it was made in 1955, the other one has no serial number. Thats the way they did it back then on some firearms.

Dave

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    JFK got shot in dallas. That is what started the government requiring serial numbers.

You can call it the gun control act of 1968 but the JFK shooting was the spark that caused the fire.

beak7707

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Terre haute area
    I collect Remington Nylons and have many of them without serial #'s. Since they started production in 1959 and most of the rare ones were produced in the 60's, the majority of mine have no numbers.

pinhead56

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indianapolis
    regarding old guns WITH serial numbers. My grandfather had a Remington black powder shotgun that was manufactured in 1894 and it had a serial number in the 60,000's...

otherwise what shooter 521 said

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I wish we still lived in the days where the Government didn't make private-property-tracking its business. Serial numbers are a necessary step toward Gun Registration. Gun Registration is a necessary step toward Gun Confiscation.

JFK got shot in dallas. That is what started the government requiring serial numbers.

You can call it the gun control act of 1968 but the JFK shooting was the spark that caused the fire.

You may be right. But no serial number would have saved JFK or the other prominent figures assassinated in the 1960s. That law represents the Government using a tragedy as a springboard toward Statism and further infringment on individual rights.

Top Bottom