Why did you pick the calibers you shoot?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Some years back I always thought that if something bad happened and we were put in a S.H.T.F. way of life we would be able to get military rounds. As of this last emergency or what ever you want to call it, I question my past decision. As of today you can't buy 5.56 ammo of any kind in less you are willing to pay a buck a round and that is hard to come by. 9mm is getting just as bad if you can find any to buy, even in bulk it is going to cost you. 308 is no better. Now you can still buy the high cost stuff in 243 for like $34 a box.

Now you can still get 222 at the normal price and 22-250 is a little harder to come by but it is still at good prices. 38 special the cheap stuff is gone but you can still get the good stuff at some good prices. 257 Roberts is good to go as well, no problem getting rounds for it. 7mm 08 is still good to go in all price ranges.

So will this be any different if S.H.T.F.? Will we all be looking for the same rounds just to find out that no one has any for sale.

Yes I know we all need to stock up on rounds and loading stuff and I have long before this stuff came down and I have a good supply. Though when I shoot some I want to replace it and at this point I can't. I even have molds to make bullets if things get really bad for every thing I shoot except for the 22 center fire.

I am thinking of selling some of my guns to replace them with other calibers that aren't so common or used by the military. I don't know. I just don't like not being able to replace what I have used. If this is a look into the future I think we could all due with some of the other calibers.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    I understand what your saying....but...the more rare calibers that you can still get rounds for are not highly produced so any kind of "stock pile" in a SHTF time would not exist.

FOR ME (this is only what i did so take it for what its worth) I put my current collection together wanting to keep as few of calibers as possible and as common of calibers as possible (9mm, .223, 22lr, 30-06 and my shot gun is a 20g). I know my shot gun deviates from that practice/theory but im working on that also. I have multiple guns that shoot those calibers but they all serve different purposes. I also reload and this way i can stock back larger numbers of fewer calibers that is more usable in multiple guns. I dont disagree with what you are saying at all....I just look at the current times as a roller coaster and it will return back to where you can get supplies and ammo in fairly short order.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    I picked the calibers I shoot because they are all different tools. Like tools, each has a different purpose. For example, my .243 is primarily my 4 legged varmint gun, though it has been used on antelope as well. My 30-06 is a mid-range gun, (though it has been stretched out to 500 yards) for deer, elk and caribou and one that packs very nicely on a backpack. My .300 WSM is my long range hammer. I like to let a horse pack it when possible as it is really heavy. Other calibers like my 5.56 have other purposes. Shotguns are the same way, from .410 to 20 to 12 gauge. Same holds true for my muzzle loaders, from .32 cal to .62 caliber. I was not concerned about a SHTF scenario when I made any of my purchases. I needed a specific tool for a specific application, and that's what I bought. A man can never have to many tools,.....and someone always wants to borrow one.

Dirty Steve

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    .22 cuz everyone needs one or more
    7.62x39 cheap gun cheap ammo
    .308 i was young and impressionable
    .40 cuz it's better than 9mm :flamesuit-on:
    .357 (see .22)
    .45 Colt most versatile handgun round made in a Ruger to a rifle
    .454 Casull more of a good thing
    .358 WSSM cuz Indiana won't let me hunt with anything appropriately sized like a .250 Savage.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    .22 - cheap and fun to shoot
    5.56 - Everyone needs an AR or 2 or 4
    7.62x39 - Cheap and plentiful (well not now)
    9mm - was my first handgun, bought guns in that caliber from then on
    380 - needed a smaller carry
    308 - I wanted a long range rifle
    12 gauge - everyone needs a shotgun

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Just ride it out. The prices and availability will come back around and when they do just remember what is happening now and take a steady approach to be prepared for the next shortage. I have also been paying attention to what is sitting on the shelves during this current frenzy and am considering picking up a 243, 270, 30-06, or 30-30 because there has been a time when I could not find any of them at regular price.

car06281

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 1, 2009
    Near Richmond
    I like the military/LE rounds because they are more consistant and and readily available. We haven't seen anything close to SHTF although hurricane Katrina could almost qualify. When it really does the only available ammo will be what you have and what you get as you defend your family.

The only exception for me is .357 and it is for me the best show stopper for personal defense. .40 S&W is next.

-Rogue-

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Rifle:
    .22- Cheap and plentiful. Easy to train for AR's with a S&W M&P 15-22
    .223/5.56- Common in case of SHTF and just plain fun to shoot
    .308/7.62- Common and long-range hard-hitting. Weapons platform is easy for AR-types to transition with an AR-10
    **Side note, I really want to try .300 BLK. Looks to be a good mix between 5.56 & 7.62

Shotgun:
    12 Guage- Nothing else simply had enough "whopp-@ss"

Pistol:
    9mm- Common, cheap, and reliable
    .40- My usual carry. Just a little more snap for a lot more knock-down.
    .45- 1911's are a must.

Rhino12

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    .22 - because I'm cheap and had to learn to shoot the basics first

12ga - because I got a present from my grandfather and its a versatile shotgun round that isn't going away

.308 - basis of military long range rifles for a long time (m40, m24, etc). As long as you can hit the core and drop your target at a reasonable range, when SHTF, that's what will count.

Hakk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2011
    indy
    12ga- a mavrick 88 being my first gun. i also see it as the best defensive round (cause its a cannon)

9mm- since zombies (i dont think its gonna happen but isnt lilly and umbrella kinda similer)are my preferred target, the name of the game is ammo capacity(this thought was pre-everyone being stupid)

5.56/.223- the AR platform is like legos for big kids so that appeals to me lol (just days before they doubled in price)

however now it seems like my choices were unwise because now i cant afford to go shooting.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    All my picks are NATO rounds.

This way I will always have a supply on the field. (was I thinking too far ahead?) :dunno:

Dj15802

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Avon, IN
    .22 cheap and fun
    .380 so I can use my wife's ammo
    9mm because its cheaper than my .40
    .40 because that's what I carry
    20ga again so I can use my wife's ammo
    12ga because someone told me that I needed it for deer

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    .303 because that's what Enfields shoot, 8mm because that's what Mausers shoot, 7.62x54r because that what Mosins shoot...come to think of it, I guess someone else long ago decided what caliber(s) I shoot.

Heck, Gen. Douglas MacCarther decided I'd be shooting .30 ought 6! The M1 was originally intended to be chambered in .276. The General insisted that it be chambered for the existing M2 ball ammunition.

Bottlefed

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Hamilton county
    I just buy ammo when ever its cheap and when I buy guns I get ammo along with the deal. I have 10,000 rounds of 223 and I don't even own an ar anymore but I'm sure I'll get another soon. I just bought a 6.5 Swedish Mauser only because it came with 800rds. That's how I stock up

IndyS3

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    Fishers
    Started with my 12 gauge for home defence, then added the AR .223 or 5.56 to reminice on old times, 9mm for carry, .303 British because M1's were too expensive and the Enfield just looked fun to shoot, and recently a .22 because I can afford the ammo.

dchiu

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Calibers

.22 Cheap/fun to shoot!
    .223/5.56 have to have an AR!
    7.62x39 Cheap in bulk and a long range round.
    9mm find it everywhere if SHTF
    .40 overall good round, find it everywhere if SHTF
    .45 1911 and a great stopping power round

Top Bottom