• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    So if you are not a government employee, or not someone who gets paid by tax dollars and still get discounts what do you call them then?

People who have no power over me and aren't agents of the state.

Say I hire an off duty cop as a security guard. I'm not really getting a security guard. I'm getting my own personal on duty cop.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    People who have no power over me and aren't agents of the state.

Say I hire an off duty cop as a security guard. I'm not really getting a security guard. I'm getting my own personal on duty cop.

No, you're getting an off-duty cop that has the same powers as if he was on-duty, but instead of responding to every shmuck that needs him he only caters to you.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I would imagine it's that way everywhere. Madison police don't make 40K a year sadly, mid 30's if I remember right. And there is crime all around sadly, I am just fine with them getting free coffee. Where I live out in the boonies it's up to me to defend my house and family. The police don't hang out in the country too much. :)

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    I would imagine it's that way everywhere. Madison police don't make 40K a year sadly, mid 30's if I remember right. And there is crime all around sadly, I am just fine with them getting free coffee. Where I live out in the boonies it's up to me to defend my house and family. The police don't hang out in the country too much. :)

That's because you aren't giving them coffee!!!

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    I'm out of rep but I just laughed hard enough to make my dogs wonder what was wrong with me. Eleventy hundred reps to you

tumblr_m8q63wSBiQ1qcg6kio1_250.gif

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Back on topic...

Free coffee or a free meal might "buy" an officer's presence in an establishment, but I doubt it would buy any special treatment.
    Free stuff is no problem if it is freely given.
    Officers who demand it should not be officers.

Edjer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Now, cops get paid good money...

You couldn't pay me enough money to be a cop. Seems to me to be one of the most dangerous occupations out there. When I leave for the office each morning, my wife is 99.99999% sure I'll be back around 6:00pm. Cops...? Not so much.

I'm thankful good men and women choose to be police officers. It's a noble and honorable occupation.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    With different expectations

Back on topic...

Free coffee or a free meal might "buy" an officer's presence in an establishment, but I doubt it would buy any special treatment.
    Free stuff is no problem if it is freely given.
    Officers who demand it should not be officers.

In order for a LEOs presence to increase at my establishment, his presence elsewhere must decrease unless a LEOs clock works differently than mine.

Let's say I'm the HOA president of my neighborhood. I pay an officer $5 in cash for every patrol he makes through my neighborhood. Is that ethical and legal? What's the difference in giving $5 in cash and $5 in food?

I can buy my own personal off duty cop who retains full police powers. Why can't I buy my own judge, planning commission, legislator, etc? Business owners are stating unequivocally that they expect an officers presence as payment for the free or discounted goods and services they give LEOs.

Instead of buying my own personal off duty cop, why can't I just buy my own badge and arrest powers? After all, he's being paid to represent my interests.

I thought justice was supposed to be fair and impartial. But it seems that it's relative to what I'm willing to pay for it.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    In order for a LEOs presence to increase at my establishment, his presence elsewhere must decrease unless a LEOs clock works differently than mine.

Let's say I'm the HOA president of my neighborhood. I pay an officer $5 in cash for every patrol he makes through my neighborhood. Is that ethical and legal? What's the difference in giving $5 in cash and $5 in food?

I can buy my own personal off duty cop who retains full police powers. Why can't I buy my own judge, planning commission, legislator, etc? Business owners are stating unequivocally that they expect an officers presence as payment for the free or discounted goods and services they give LEOs.

Instead of buying my own personal off duty cop, why can't I just buy my own badge and arrest powers? After all, he's being paid to represent my interests.

I thought justice was supposed to be fair and impartial. But it seems that it's relative to what I'm willing to pay for it.

They don't give them product and expect them to give them extra favors. They give them free product to say thank you and in hopes that they'll frequent it more. I believe, and I may be wrong on this, most departments frown upon their officers taking cash.

You're not buying an officer to enforce what you tell him to enforce. You're paying an officer to enforce laws and your rules within your property.

How is paying an officer to enforce the law and your rules unfair and impartial? Break the law and they can still arrest you.

JMoses

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2013
    They don't give them product and expect them to give them extra favors. They give them free product to say thank you and in hopes that they'll frequent it more. I believe, and I may be wrong on this, most departments frown upon their officers taking cash.

You're not buying an officer to enforce what you tell him to enforce. You're paying an officer to enforce laws and your rules within your property.

How is paying an officer to enforce the law and your rules unfair and impartial? Break the law and they can still arrest you.

He has an extreme hatred for all LE obviously. You're not going to get him to WANT to understand anything.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Funny how no one has started a thread asking why any other uniformed public safety entities or military get free or discounted food/drink.

We very rarely get a discount in EMS. There are a few places, yes, but very few. I don't get discounts or free drinks at most gas stations. There's one that does, but it's too far out of my way to give them my business. Firehouse Subs does, but they also collect donations for fire and EMS.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    We very rarely get a discount in EMS. There are a few places, yes, but very few. I don't get discounts or free drinks at most gas stations. There's one that does, but it's too far out of my way to give them my business. Firehouse Subs does, but they also collect donations for fire and EMS.

Thorntons usually does for all uniformed EMS, LEO, Firemen

Top Bottom