• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    He probably wired in a fault to send out ultrasonic brain destroying waves of electricity.*

*I don't really understand how electricity works.

Of course. However that was a direct reply to I'm relating my experience with the private sector that contradicts that. That said, if the price of fair and impartial justice or an $80k purchase order is a cup of coffee, we're well beyond the point where such ethics rules matter. Private businesses and public entities both recognize that a certain level of "freebie" is simply courtesy and not an attempt at bribery or gaining favoritism, however at a certain point it crosses the line. I can ethically accept coffee. I cannot ethically accept a Corvette. Where the line is drawn is open to debate, but its disingenuous to suggest if I was a private employee I would be prohibited from accepting a gratuity that I receive as a public employee.

I don't think there's a law against it specifically. If I were off duty and sitting in a parking lot of a business, I could be trespassed like anyone else since I'm not there on official business. More realistically what would happen, it wouldn't pass ethics from Professional Standards (our version of Internal Affairs), the person requesting such a service would not be an authorized employer, and I'd be disciplined or fired for taking the job.

I've locked up the manager at McD's who'd given me free food multiple times. I think you seriously overestimate the ability of a small freebie to grind the wheels of justice to a halt. I think you'd likely be insulted if I suggested you would change your ethics for a cup of coffee. I think I mentioned earlier that I offer any tradesman who comes to my house a free coffee or soda. Do you think a free soda would make you so enthralled with me that you'd collude to commit insurance fraud, when without that soda you'd have said no? Of course not. You have integrity or you don't, and a minor gratuity isn't going to change that.

I am all for ethics committee oversight of any public official's part time jobs, including cops. I'm also for a bright line rule and codified ethics statement about what gratuities or freebies (premiums) can be accepted. I very much agree there is a line. I just don't think its so insultingly cheap.

The business owner isn't asking you to turn a blind eye to his crimes for a free cup of coffee. He's asking for your increased presence. With that presence comes protection. Unless you operate in a twilight zone where time stands still, your presence at his business is taking away your presence elsewhere. The guy not paying loses your presence while the guy paying gains it. If it is unethical for you to take a $5 bill to patrol my neighborhood while on duty, how is taking a free meal any different?

If I offer a prostitute a steak dinner instead of $20 for her services, I'm not soliciting a prostitute, right? You think the prosecutor would see a difference? Again, there's a line. Why is it drawn between cash payments and free goods or services?

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Well hopefully your feeling generous when I'm in beech grove. Btw, you guys were busy this morning, I counted at least 3 pull overs while I was trying to navigate your damn tiny streets in my big freakin' truck!

I work Southwest District for IMPD, I just live in Beech Grove. My district was busy last night assisting with the pursuit and apprehension of homicide suspects that shot the woman up by Pike Plaza and the pursuit of a burglary suspect that also had several outstanding warrants.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The business owner isn't asking you to turn a blind eye to his crimes for a free cup of coffee. He's asking for your increased presence. With that presence comes protection. Unless you operate in a twilight zone where time stands still, your presence at his business is taking away your presence elsewhere. The guy not paying loses your presence while the guy paying gains it. If it is unethical for you to take a $5 bill to patrol my neighborhood while on duty, how is taking a free meal any different?

If I offer a prostitute a steak dinner instead of $20 for her services, I'm not soliciting a prostitute, right? You think the prosecutor would see a difference? Again, there's a line. Why is it drawn between cash payments and free goods or services?

Your premise seems to be that absent the freebie I'd not have favorites and therefore not spend more time at one place than the other. Let's say you eliminate free coffee. Do you think I'll now send equal time at every gas station? No, of course not. If your restroom is filthy, I'm not coming to yours. If your clerk is an asshat, I'm not coming to yours. Let's say you eliminate free meals. Do you think I'll now spend equal time at every restaurant? Regardless of cost, how long it takes the meal to come, my personal flavor preferences, etc? Cops are still going to have favorites based on cleanliness, friendliness and attractiveness of the clerks, etc. Does that become an ethical issue? Does that make it unethical to own a Subway because its cheap, the food is prepared in front of you, and its fast, thus drawing more cops than Ruth's Chris? Does it make it unethical to clean your restrooms and hire attractive staff? Does it make me unethical to not want to drop trou in a filthy restroom because some Ajax and a sponge bought my presence? My fleet card works at Speedway and Marathon. Guess which gas stations get more police presence? Does that make the fleet card unethical?

Your prostitution example is actually a pretty good one. The intent is the difference between a date and prostitution. If I get my free coffee and then get a run and have to immediately leave, the business gained no material advantage but doesn't then turn around and charge me for the coffee since I didn't render a service. Similarly if I go in and stand there for 10 minutes, I do not gain the right to demand a free coffee as a wage. Taking cash (or prizes) for a specific task while on duty would be unethical. The fact its cash vs a canned ham or pet guinea pig isn't the problem. The problem is I'm now contracting to do a specific task, and we've crossed from a date to prostitution (or Ghost Employment, in this case.)

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas

The difference between taking the $5 bill and a free meal is, people have to eat. LEOs aren't always guaranteed a meal, if they do get to eat, they're gonna go somewhere they are taken care of. When I eat, I'm more likely to go somewhere, like Chezuki said, that will remake a meal for me if I'm called out, than I am to go somewhere that makes me reorder, repay, and then they remake my meal.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    A gift is a gift if it is given for the right reason. I am better at giving than receiving but I had to learn how to receive. I am a firm believer that you have to give to receive, therefore by not accepting a gift you are cheating the giver out of a blessing.

SCriswell

Plinker
    Rating - 60%
    3   2   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Buddy of mine is a correctional officer, calls me up the other day to tell me he went inside after work in his uniform to get some food at a fast food joint and they gave him like $5/off. Turns out they thought he was a cop. When I was younger and working at a pizza place, cops were supposed to get 15% off and free drinks.

Now, cops get paid good money. I thought before it was sort of a... 'kind gesture' to give them a discount in a family ran pizza place, but it seemed odd that it was done in chain fast-food joint. On top of that, they get free coffee at gas stations too, I am told. Is that just a thing around here or is that everywhere?

I appreciate what y'all do, but buy your own damned food. You make good enough money to afford it. :)

What other jobs earn you free stuff?
    You sound like a wanna be who did not have the mettle or smarts to be a Police Officer.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Haven't you heard? You don't have to be smart to be a police officer. If I was smart I'd have gotten in line to be a fireman.

uhuhuh...huhuhuhuh...huhuhuhhuhuhuh

how-to-draw-beavis-and-butt-head-beavis-and-butt-head_1_000000010016_5.jpg

Frank is a dumb dumb

Top Bottom