Why do CZs seem to rule USPSA Production matches?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Not to thread-jack, but does anyone here have any experience with the single-action variations of the CZ75, and what are your thoughts about them? (I know this is taking the conversation somewhat away from Production, but just wondering about general impressions).

My CZ 75 Tactical Sport 40cal is SAO. I love the gun. My favorite CZ that I have owned so far.

kevinsr98

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   1
    Feb 12, 2011
    up until very recently ALL my competition guns were also my carry guns. :dunno:

Rob, I think your the exception. I think the vast majority of regular competition shooters don't use their gamer guns for daily carry, myself included. It would make an interesting poll....

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Rob, I think your the exception. I think the vast majority of regular competition shooters don't use their gamer guns for daily carry, myself included. It would make an interesting poll....

The poll would be skewed depending on the definition of "competition shooter". For example I love going out once a month to my local club and shooting a USPSA match. Normally I do this with a gun that is suitable for carry. I am not a member of USPSA and view the match as an opportunity for a little practice and fun. Other then a local match at the club I actually shoot very little. I have no doubt there are others who fall into this category.

Among the real competitors I would say very few carry the gun they shoot in matches. In fact I bet very few of them actually carry a gun on a regular basis. (That is because competition will get you killed in the streets. :D) Of the people I know that take the sport more seriously then I do, they usually have a range gun and a carry gun. At one time I myself had a G35 with 15 lb recoil spring, 3.5 lb disconnect, 4 lb striker spring, ........ Awesome gun to shoot but I wouldn't carry it.

I will admit the I recently purchased a used 1911 that I intend to use only at the range for USPSA. I wanted something I could toy around with and take apart without messing with my carry gun. Funny thing is that this gun is USPSA single stack legal and my carry guns are not. :n00b:

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I have carried the same single stack I use in competition
    I have had my limited gun as the night stand gun, why wouldn't I, 22 rounds of 40s&w with a 20 round back up and huge ass magwell to hit on a reload if needed
    (which I will need if they are wearing a shirt with a popper on the front of it and after I shoot them all in the shoulder)

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    I have had my limited gun as the night stand gun, why wouldn't I, 22 rounds of 40s&w with a 20 round back up and huge ass magwell to hit on a reload if needed
    (which I will need if they are wearing a shirt with a popper on the front of it and after I shoot them all in the shoulder)

:snort:

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT

Possibly, but the point is that you really don't the gun equivalent of NASCAR or whatever the complaint was to play and be competitive in production.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars

Lol, I swear poppers can dodge bullets.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    While I have carried my production and SS guns and competed with my carry guns, I don't generally just because of the round count and dryfire abuse the competition guns see as well as some minor setup differences. I ran my carry G19 in the IN section match a couple years ago (I did put in a G34 mag release for the match) and I don't feel it hurt my results.

-rvb

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    One thing I can see that would be an advantage about the CZs, is the frame-mounted safety. It would seem that the casual competitor would have the possibility of having a gun that can be used effectively in either Production, at 10 rounds with the hammer down, or in Limited, loaded to capacity and cocked & locked. Is anybody trying this, or are they pretty much only getting used in Production (talking about the DA/SA CZ models that are below $1,000)?

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Pretty much production only.

Minor scoring in limited is a serious disadvantage, as is a 17-19rd mag compared to they typical limited 20-21rds.

You our could if you wanted to, but is sorta pointless

romack991

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    ...Is anybody trying this, or are they pretty much only getting used in Production...

I bought a stock II in 40 to play with in production and have it as a backup gun in limited. Although I don't think it's ideal in either case. In production, the 40 costs more to reload. In limited, it doesn't have a magwell. I have two sets of mags, standard set for production and extended basepad set to get 20/21 for limited. Also you'd want to swap the recoil spring based on the major/minor PF. I guess I could have spare grips and magwell but that would be a pain if you are switching back and forth.

If you want to be serious, you'll want a gun set up for a specific division. If you're just having fun, it'll work.

Top Bottom