Why do people go to a $10 Chinese buffet and...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • r3126

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    Indy westside
    I like fresh oysters but it seems like no one has them since the gulf oil spill.

Was in Virginia Beach a short time ago and ate at a buffet. Had a couple of dozen fresh oysters on the half shell prior to a dinner of fried oysters, oysters rockefeller and oysters and pearls. YUM! There are lots of places serving oysters along the coastal plains.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    I think some people can't differentiate between complimentary and free. I was brought up that you never take advantage of a good thing.

$25 for a steak meal isnt a "good thing" in my opinion. its a business deal. I wouldnt take advantage or go overboard at a private dinner or get together, but somewhere I am paying and ordering a lot extra, I think they can spare a few extra rolls or biscuits and I have never had them even look at me weird for asking, and most times they ask first. of coarse im not ordering just a $5 salad either. Im a meat and potatoes boy!

now if we are going somewhere a little fancy where Im wearing a sport coat and dress slacks then Im not gonna "pig out" or even ask for a take home bag. but thats a little different.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    Was in Virginia Beach a short time ago and ate at a buffet. Had a couple of dozen fresh oysters on the half shell prior to a dinner of fried oysters, oysters rockefeller and oysters and pearls. YUM! There are lots of places serving oysters along the coastal plains.

<< JEALOUS :):

here I think everyone is afraid of getting sued if someone finds a tar ball in their oyster on the half shell :rolleyes:

Id still eat them :D

VaGriller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 15, 2010
    Avon

Thats because the oysters in Va Beach come from the Chesapeake Bay. I spent 25yrs in Va beach. Some places were good, but the best seafood was from when I lived in South Florida.

kevman65

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Indy
    All you can eat buffet, they set the price, they load the buffet, you can eat all you want of any one item or all items. The business set the price, they set the buffet choices. Its no ones business who eats what or how much of it.

If people are filling take home bags from the buffet, different story.

Class has nothing to do with it, its a business contract that the owners set all the rules. Just because you don't like it doesn't make it wrong or classless.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I know how you feel about Carmel, but there is a new place called Zhu-Lan. For dinner it's like $20 all you can eat with a drink. They have crab legs, sushi, fresh oysters, among other delicious items:):

Come to carmel and make a day of it. Zacky's Dogs for lunch and Zhu-Lan for dinner:D

Yes, come to Carmel... I'll be waiting bwhahaahahaha, any car without a BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, or Audi emblem and youre mine! bwhahahaha

(laces up jack boots)

No, but really, is that place good? I pass it all the time.

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    I truly don’t have any idea what the profit off of these buffets are, but I would tend to guess that a very large percentage of the cost per person is profit.

They buy in bulk, for probably very cheap and on average I would say most people don’t come close to eating the cost they paid for the buffet.

I doubt a few handfuls of people eating a lot of one particular item is going to raise the prices, even in the long run.

If anything, the prices are going up because of the popularity of buffets and our poor eating habits.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    When I hit the Chinese Buffet in N Keystone or on 9 in Greenfield I eat $20 worth of sushi before I even start on the Chinese food. The one in Greenfield is really good and they have a chef who will cook up your food Mongolian style. I wish it were closer. The N Keystone buffet, near Walmart, is pretty good and is only $5.99. I just hate to see so many people waste food. To keep prices down you need to eat what you take and don't waste it. Try a small portion before you fill half your plate with something. Damn.... I'm hungry now! ;)

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    $25 for a steak meal isnt a "good thing" in my opinion. its a business deal. I wouldnt take advantage or go overboard at a private dinner or get together, but somewhere I am paying and ordering a lot extra, I think they can spare a few extra rolls or biscuits and I have never had them even look at me weird for asking, and most times they ask first. of coarse im not ordering just a $5 salad either. Im a meat and potatoes boy!

now if we are going somewhere a little fancy where Im wearing a sport coat and dress slacks then Im not gonna "pig out" or even ask for a take home bag. but thats a little different.

My inlaws eat a ton of peanuts, 2-3 rolls each and order the $8.99 6 oz sirloin.

Martin Draco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    All you can eat buffet, they set the price, they load the buffet, you can eat all you want of any one item or all items. The business set the price, they set the buffet choices. Its no ones business who eats what or how much of it.

If people are filling take home bags from the buffet, different story.

Class has nothing to do with it, its a business contract that the owners set all the rules. Just because you don't like it doesn't make it wrong or classless.

When he was talking about class or lack there of, I think he was refering to people that don't tip.

Martin Draco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Yes, come to Carmel... I'll be waiting bwhahaahahaha, any car without a BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, or Audi emblem and youre mine! bwhahahaha

(laces up jack boots)

No, but really, is that place good? I pass it all the time.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:
    Yeah, it's really good. They just opened last Monday and I went for dinner. I ate myself into a coma because there were so many great choices.:D
    If you've ever been to Journeys in Fishers, it's just like that.

prowland

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Greenwood
    I think some of you have the idea that that food on the buffet cost the same as if you were to buy it at the store...

During 2-a-day football practices when i was in HS a few of my friends and I had a contest on who could eat the most pizza. The manager came out because we were getting kinda noisy. Myself and another guy got up to 54 slices each. The manager laughed... he said that the point where they start to no longer make money was 66 slices when you get the combo with a drink. He said that it was starting to get lower because of cheese prices going up.

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    I usually eat 1 plate of sushi, half dozen oysters, then I start with a plate or two of the Chinese food when I go to the buffet!

I do leave a nice tip and I do order a real drink (not water).

Top Bottom