• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I will go along with that logic, so long as we are talking about a 9mm Glock 17 or 19. I am not so sure I would take that bet with a sub compact or Glock chambered in .40 S&W.

I will mention/share that I think the full size M&P series is a beefier design then the Glock. The M&P was designed around the .40 cartridge and then adapted to 9mm as opposed to the 9mm Glock being essentially modified for the .40S&W. What the M&P does not have is the field history of the Glock. Time will tell.

If we are talking about simple longevity of the frame and slide (i.e. we are not considering spring and part replacement) then all bets are off. I have a couple of 1911s that I expect to take many 10s of thousands of rounds. Then the guns could be rebuilt and go some more.

I dunno Vert, but I may have to take that bet with the Glock 26. This little guy has impressed me...

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    I will go along with that logic, so long as we are talking about a 9mm Glock 17 or 19.

Yes, I agree. I would bet on the full sized Glock 17, or else the Glock 21 because the .45 ACP is a low pressure cartridge. There is no way a 10 MM, .357 Sig or .40 cal. Glock will last as long as a 9mm or a .45. High pressure rounds beat up guns, and cut down on their overall life.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    :whistle:

I am honestly not sure if this is a true comment or if IB has not yet learned about Purple.

Glock has a usable trigger that is adequate for the purposes that the gun was designed for. The ergonomics are functional and not nearly as bad as the 1911/Xd guys make it out to be, but lets face it they are not regarded as being natural pointers. They have a reputation of being durable; however, I have seen more then one Glock with cracks in the frame. Even so who cares because they are basically disposable. Plus even with pieces missing they still go bang.

Well put Vert. I'm probably in the minority with this, but I actually think Glocks are reasonably ergonomic. They don't 'look' ergonomic but when I hold one, it feels no worse to me than my 1911s do. Different yes, but good none the less. The only really ergonomic grips I've experienced are the CZ and Hi Power but I can't fault Glock in the feel. As for beauty, I've come to like the simplistic lines and design. It's like modern art to a degree.

The only issue I have with them is when a thread opens in which someone expresses the opinion that there are better alternatives, it invariably ends with rude remarks and name calling. I'll never understand why some folks cannot accept that their favorite brand might not be the best choice for everyone.

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    I'll never understand why some folks cannot accept that their favorite brand might not be the best choice for everyone.

It's very simple. A large contributing factor to most of the anti Glock trash you see pop up on these "Hate Glock" threads, is the fact many cannot digest the simple fact these are service pistols, and NOT target pistols. As such the triggers and other components are not going to satisfy the shooter, any more than a bare bones work truck is going to have the looks and fine appointments a Toyota Land Crusier does. That, along with the fact these type of, "Why I hate this or that gun" threads are started in the first place, purely to get a rise out of people, and start fights in the process. When you go out of your way to try and make a thread inflammatory right out of the gate, then don't complain when you get what you wanted by starting the thread in the first place. If you walk into a bar and tell a guy that his girl, "is a little fat", do you think he's going to thank you for it? Guns, like women, are a personal item to many. Perhaps not to you, but to many firearms and weapon enthusiasts they are.

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    Another thing is this is the Internet. The same people who start these, "Hate this or that gun" threads, would never even entertain the thought of walking up to someone at a range shooting a Glock, (or any other pistol for that matter), and have the first words spoken to that person, be telling them what a piece of :poop: their gun is. The fact is this thread, like most of these type of gun dissing threads, are started by newer members with low post counts, just looking to start something. None would do the same in a face to face environment.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    And I'd rather have a Glock. However, it doesn't change the point I was trying to make.

I have told folks their Hi-point was not the best choice. FTF....in person. And I meant it.

You do make a valid point. Stirring the :poop: does start up some discussions that most always end in name calling.....You jack-wagon....:)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I am just an old dog un-willing to learn too many new tricks.
    A 1911 feels like it is part of my hand/arm and points out naturally fro me. Just to easy. Maybe because I have been shooting the,m for so long.
    Glocks always make me work for the POA. Yes, I can adjust my wrist but it is not comfortable.
    Well, then there is the part where they like to hurt me....:(

Shoot what is comfortable in your hand. Learn to shoot that platform efficiently.

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    I am just an old dog un-willing to learn too many new tricks.
    A 1911 feels like it is part of my hand/arm and points out naturally fro me. Just to easy. Maybe because I have been shooting the,m for so long.
    Glocks always make me work for the POA. Yes, I can adjust my wrist but it is not comfortable.
    Well, then there is the part where they like to hurt me....:(

Shoot what is comfortable in your hand. Learn to shoot that platform efficiently.

Understood. And you presented the fact courteously as to why you prefer X, Y, or Z brand of self defense handgun. 99.99% of the reason we buy guns is because of personal preference, not because the others in their class are, "a piece of crap".

7.62asprin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 8, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    As much as I hate the Glock fanboydom, which incidentally kept me out of polymer game for the longest time, I must confess i eventually got a G17 and I shoot it better than any of my other handguns. I do enjoy the ergonomics of it and it fits my hand very well. Its not my favourite handgun, that is a tie between the 1911 and the Browning Hi-Power.

I can see why people like it and I must give Glock's marketing team credit for job well done, but the way the fanboys act and perpetuate the Glock myths is just silly.

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    I can see why people like it and I must give Glock's marketing team credit for job well done..........

This really impresses me as well. The firearms business overall is not that lucrative. I once read that if you put all the American firearms companies together, their yearly combined revenue would be less than Toy's-R-Us. It is NOT a "deep pockets" industry. Not in the least. Look at how many arms makes have gone under. Many of them several times. Both High Standard and Ithaca Gun come to mind, as being resurrected many times over. Only to go under again. Even Colt has been on the edge of bankruptcy for years on end. If it weren't for their government contracts, they would have folded years ago. Most of the really successful gun companies you can count on the fingers of one hand. Ruger and Bushmaster come to mind.

But Glock simply blows them all away. No one really knows how much the company, (Gaston Glock), is actually worth, because it's a privately owned company. They have no stockholders other then the immediate family, so they are not required to produce an annual report. The profit margin of the pistol is extremely high, (some have estimated as high as 660% on retail sales). Which is the reason they can offer such tremendous financial deals to military and law enforcement. It is most likely that Gaston Glock has personally surpassed billionaire status. This little toy alone goes for $45,000,000.00 and change. Most gun companies couldn't afford the yearly operating costs.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Glock! King of Marketing! Now I know why I hate those guys. :) I have heard similar stories about Smith and Wesson. Basically there is a much higher profit margin in the M&P pistols compared to revolvers. That is the reason why revolvers such as the Pro Series Model 60 or 625s are in somewhat short supply.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I don't care what you like or use as long as you make hits with it and you are on my side. No one ever tells the guy who just shot him that he is a ***** and his gun sucks.

I like Glocks because for 25 years from day 1 I have made hits with them. They were then and continue to be one ugly ass gun. I am also not a psychologically damaged trigger snob so I can shoot 1911's and go back to Glocks. If I were buying a bag full of new guns today I might not go Glock. I am picking up 3 Nano's this weekend because at $250 each I am good with it.

I would be thoroughly pissed off if I was ever shot with a Hipoint.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I'll also say that not buying a certain gun BECAUSE of the fan boys is a dumb reason.

I'd have to agree. I pretty much did that with Glocks for a number of years. Eventually, I bought one. Then another. And another and it goes on from there. Don't let the fan boys turn you off to something. Glocks have become the second most common guns in my collection and EDC holster. They are a good reliable, cheap utility gun. I will never look at them the same way I look at the 1911 platform, but that is not knocking the Glock.

I still occasionally find entertainment in poking the fan boys but no longer let them taint the platform they worship. All platforms have folks that have an unrealistic view of the quality their favorite gun. The Glock boys seem to be the fastest to anger, followed closely by Rock Island 1911 owners. It's a shame when the good natured ribbing turns to butt hurt though. It's not like we are defending the honor of a woman here. They are just guns.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I don't care what you like or use as long as you make hits with it and you are on my side. No one ever tells the guy who just shot him that he is a ***** and his gun sucks.

I like Glocks because for 25 years from day 1 I have made hits with them. They were then and continue to be one ugly ass gun. I am also not a psychologically damaged trigger snob so I can shoot 1911's and go back to Glocks. If I were buying a bag full of new guns today I might not go Glock. I am picking up 3 Nano's this weekend because at $250 each I am good with it.

I would be thoroughly pissed off if I was ever shot with a Hipoint.

I got shoot with a pellet gun a long time ago and it still pi$$es me off....:dunno:

Top Bottom