• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Glocks aren't pretty but they do what they are designed to do very very well. They are designed for carry and duty guns. In this respect they are top tier all the way.

Weight: No pistol weighs less of comparable size. I do not like absolutes but in this case it is currently true.
    Width: No pistol is thinner of comparable size. Once again i hate absolutes but in this case its true.
    Round Capacity: in a Glock 17 you get 17+1 rounds of 9mm that is still top tier.
    Accuracy: Glock firearms are very accurate. I will say if you are not used to the grip angle it me bother you for a bit but once you realize its as natural as pointing at someone you will get over it.
    Price: Glocks are a quality firearm on the cheap side of things. From the initial cost to the cost of parts and magazines. I can buy FACTORY Glock mags for $20 all day long does anyone else compare?
    Reliability: Besides the Gen4 bobble which has long since been dealt with. Glocks are known for reliability from mud/dirt/sand to pocket fuzz they work as well as any other pistol.

If we are going to the shooting range Glocks are among my least favorite to shoot for enjoyment. CZ75/1911's/My Beretta/Ruger target 22's/ lots of stuff are more fun and have more flair and style. But for carry and self defense Glocks are pretty damn good.

CZ 75s, 1911s, Hi Powers, Beretta 92s, etc. a lot of guns were designed as carry and duty guns.

Accuracy......at what distance? Are we talking the 5 yard "chew the center out" like Hi Point accuracy or are we talking distance that's actually a challenge?

You can get some factory 1911 mags for $20 all day

A gun has flair and style because of the shooter. If you make some gun your "range baby", it's not going to get scratched, or finish warn as quickly as a carry gun. Some people get glocks because "I don't want to scratch up my pretty xxxxxxx". It's a carry gun, it's a fact of life, they get dings and scratches and wear. Am I going to bang around my Hi Power? No, cause it's pretty and hurts the value. But am I going to continue to give me Kimber 1911 hell? Yeah, hell the acid from my skin and sweat has already stripped the beaver tail safety to damn near silver and I have worn finger marks in it, and I didn't get the thing to baby.

Anyway, a gun is, what you make it

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    No hate for Glocks here (I've owned several). But for me, the new Sig P320 wins hands down. Better grip, better grip angle, better ergonomics (fully ambi) and 100% modular with the freedom to change calibers and slide lengths with total impunity. The P320 platform just makes Glock (my opinion only here, don't tar and feather me) seem obsolete. And the trigger is far better than any Glock I've owned with a better pull and comparable reset.

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    CZ 75s, 1911s, Hi Powers, Beretta 92s, etc. a lot of guns were designed as carry and duty guns.

Accuracy......at what distance? Are we talking the 5 yard "chew the center out" like Hi Point accuracy or are we talking distance that's actually a challenge?

You can get some factory 1911 mags for $20 all day

A gun has flair and style because of the shooter. If you make some gun your "range baby", it's not going to get scratched, or finish warn as quickly as a carry gun. Some people get glocks because "I don't want to scratch up my pretty xxxxxxx". It's a carry gun, it's a fact of life, they get dings and scratches and wear. Am I going to bang around my Hi Power? No, cause it's pretty and hurts the value. But am I going to continue to give me Kimber 1911 hell? Yeah, hell the acid from my skin and sweat has already stripped the beaver tail safety to damn near silver and I have worn finger marks in it, and I didn't get the thing to baby.

Anyway, a gun is, what you make it

If you daily carry 3 pound pistols more power to you.

Accuracy they are as accurate as any of the single action pistols you listed. Not sure if you know what accurate means. Just because you cant shoot it doesn't mean its not accurate.

1911 mag comparsion is pretty funny most OEM 1911 mags are ****. There is a reason people run $40 magazines in 1911's.

The single action designs you listed are heavy, filled with additional steps (safeties) to engage the pistol, Not exactly known for reliability under harsh environments or neglect. Truth be told they are like classic cars look good, feel good, but not something to make a daily driver out of.

If you want to carry a Kimber more power to you. This kinda reminds me of my grandpa who "cant shoot anything without a hammer". SAO is a crutch and mental block. I enjoy a nice trigger but having a nice trigger is often an excuse for poor fundamentals or in his case old age.

If you don't older designs with steel and wood have more style i can't help you lol.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour

Accuracy they are as accurate as any of the single action pistols you listed. Not sure if you know what accurate means. Just because you cant shoot it doesn't mean its not accurate.

1911 mag comparsion is pretty funny most OEM 1911 mags are ****. There is a reason people run $40 magazines in 1911's.

The single action designs you listed are heavy, filled with additional steps (safeties) to engage the pistol, Not exactly known for reliability under harsh environments or neglect. Truth be told they are like classic cars look good, feel good, but not something to make a daily driver out of.

If you want to carry a Kimber more power to you. This kinda reminds me of my grandpa who "cant shoot anything without a hammer". SAO is a crutch and mental block. I enjoy a nice trigger but having a nice trigger is often an excuse for poor fundamentals or in his case old age.

If you don't older designs with steel and wood have more style i can't help you lol.

Somebody has been watching too many Yeager videos on YouTube.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN

******* FAN BOY ALERT ********

This is a good example of what puts people off on Glocks. When someone suggests that there are alternatives that also work, they become insulting and have trouble accepting that a 100 year old design can work better for some folks. Glocks are good guns for folks that they fit. Not everyone is a good fit for a Glock though. Having a safety is neither good or bad, it's just a choice shooters make. Having a good trigger does make a difference though, but is not absolute in its benefit. Lighter does not automatically mean better, but again is just up to the shooter to decide what they like to carry. I do often carry a full size 1911 and with a good belt and holster that are designed to carry the load, carry just as well as my Glocks.

Please stop belittling folks that think differently than you. One could make the argument that needing a higher capacity poly gun is often an excuse for poor gun handling skills and cheap carry gear, but most gun owners don't go there. Respect is the lubricant of the gears of society. Without it, life can come to a grinding halt.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana

I carry a Sig 290 which is DAO and with that trigger good enough to get 6" groups at 25 yards.

I used to carry a full size 1911 and a snub DAO SP101.

The only Glocks I've seen that actually shoot, are ones who's triggers have been modded, adjustable sights added, and by shooters who used to do competition shooting and these people experimented heavily with reloads. I've shot many Glocks, they were good enough to hit 6" steel plates at 12 yards, but after that....behhh. I expect 6" groups at 25 with fixed sights, adjustables...I expect much tighter. I love hearing a 3" piece of steel ring when I hit it with my Buckmark at 70 yards.

I use Chip Mc. mags in my 1911, don't recall spending over $23 on one, and they've worked every time after thousands of rounds.

Striker technology in firearms has been around....50 years now? And with the exception of the VZ58, what other striker operated firearm has been used widely as a military (not police) firearm? Sig just recently came out with a striker gun, HK has made them in the past but is known for their hammer guns, CZs were designed to withstand Iron Curtain weather conditions. The Hi Power is an extremely copied design, because it works.

Yes, striker guns are more "sealed off", but they are prone to just as many F ups as hammer guns. I laughed my ars off when my friend's 26 light striked on him. Gave Glock perfection a whole new meaning to him and made him realize that they're just another gun

Last edited:

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Never liked Gaston"s gun design but even I have to admit that he is a marketing genius. Never have so many been fed so much BS and happily overpaid so much for so little. P. T. Barnum was right.

BrewerGeorge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Plainfield
    Those of you younger than your mid-40's might not really know what the semi-auto pistol market was like when Glock came on the scene. Sure, John Browning's designs were still working well, but the double-action market was weak and the guns not very reliable. Sure 30 years later there are a dozen designs by as many makers that are as good, but Glocks were first.

Also, a lot of the douchery from Glock fans was birthed in that time as a reaction to the derision the old-school gun guys showed toward the "plastic guns." It's defensiveness turned to righteous indignation turned into douchbag superiority.

tyler835

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I've have seen this a lot too. All of my buddies have a glocks. I have a Taurus PT111 that shoots better than any of them could dream they could with their glocks.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    I don't. It's like hating Fords or Chevy's...or the Packers...or the Cubs...it's all personal preference.

Saw a lot of them in the sand box. Didn't see too many malfunction, but I did see a lot of 92G's malfunction. Personally I'd rather shoot a Beretta than a Glock, but I do own both. My bear gun is a Glock 10mm. I replaced the sights, and added a few personal touches, but it's light - can carry it all day without knowing it much, up and down the mountains - and it packs a wallup. A full mag of Buffalo Boar should stop about any bear if I can get on him soon enough. If not, then I died doing what I love.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    JJ is there a huge bear problem in the mountains of Lawrence County, IN? Sorry but I had to ask, I assume you travel out west a lot.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Wild Hogs in Lawrence County. I hear they are as big as bears.

Not any at Crane. Yet. Have heard there are some near Heltonville, but haven't seen any. Don't hunt near there. Hogs aren't nearly as nimble as a bear, not nearly as fast either. I've hunted hogs in Tennessee, Texas and Hawaii with bow and arrow and had them p!55ed at me, but haven't lost any body parts yet.

Top Bottom