• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jtdet01

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    What is INGO's opinion of my "then why do you have a job" response. . .

Bob: 'I don't own a gun, and do not want one.'
    Bob: 'Why do I need a gun? why do you need a gun?'
    Me: '. . . to protect yourself, ... to protect myself, ... for self-defense'
    Bob: 'God will protect me.'
    Me: 'Then why do you have a job?'
    Bob: 'WHAT ? ? ?'

Me: 'I have heard you say that God will provide, and I agree with that'
    Me: 'I agree that God will provide for me, but I have to be wise and also work.'
    Me: 'I agree that God will protect me, but I have to be wise and also protect myself'
    Me: 'I know I need to be wise with God's protection and God's provisions'
    Me: 'So, if God will protect you (without your input), and God will provide for you (without your input), then why do you have a job?'

Bob: 'The police will protect me . . .' . . .

Me: 'OK, I see where this is going . . .'

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The police protect nobody unless they are present when a crime occurs and stop it.
    The implied threats of arrest and conviction deter some criminals.
    Arrest and conviction are not protection; they are punishment for breaking the peace.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Pray for a house with a hammer in your hand. Plant seeds in the ground and pray for a garden. Pray for protection, but install fire alarms, lock your doors and keep a gun on you. Pray for provision, but put back canned goods. Participation is part of faith. If you don't do your part, you don't have any skin in the game. God doesn't reward complacency and laziness.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Pray for a house with a hammer in your hand. Plant seeds in the ground and pray for a garden. Pray for protection, but install fire alarms, lock your doors and keep a gun on you. Pray for provision, but put back canned goods. Participation is part of faith. If you don't do your part, you don't have any skin in the game. God doesn't reward complacency and laziness.
    But the government does!

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Whole thread made me think of this...

John, who was in financial difficulty, walked into a church and started to pray. ''Listen God,'' John said. ''I know I haven't been perfect but I really need to win the lottery. I don't have a lot of money. Please help me out.'' He left the church, a week went by, and he hadn't won the lottery, so he walked into a synagogue. ''Come on, God,'' he said. ''I really need this money. My mom needs surgery and I have bills to pay. Please let me win the lottery.'' He left the synagogue, a week went by, and he didn't win the lottery. So, he went to a mosque and started to pray again. ''You're starting to disappoint me, God,'' he said. ''I've prayed and prayed. If you just let me win the lottery, I'll be a better person. I don't have to win the jackpot, just enough to get me out of debt. I'll give some to charity, even. Just let me win the lottery.'' John thought this did it, so he got up and walked outside.
    The clouds opened up and a booming voice said, ''John, buy a ****ing lottery ticket.''

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Whole thread made me think of this...

John, who was in financial difficulty, walked into a church and started to pray. ''Listen God,'' John said. ''I know I haven't been perfect but I really need to win the lottery. I don't have a lot of money. Please help me out.'' He left the church, a week went by, and he hadn't won the lottery, so he walked into a synagogue. ''Come on, God,'' he said. ''I really need this money. My mom needs surgery and I have bills to pay. Please let me win the lottery.'' He left the synagogue, a week went by, and he didn't win the lottery. So, he went to a mosque and started to pray again. ''You're starting to disappoint me, God,'' he said. ''I've prayed and prayed. If you just let me win the lottery, I'll be a better person. I don't have to win the jackpot, just enough to get me out of debt. I'll give some to charity, even. Just let me win the lottery.'' John thought this did it, so he got up and walked outside.
    The clouds opened up and a booming voice said, ''John, buy a ****ing lottery ticket.''

I love that, have been telling that for years ..... Good to see it in print .....

Crbn79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Indianapolis, North
    What is INGO's opinion of my "then why do you have a job" response. . .

Bob: 'I don't own a gun, and do not want one.'
    Bob: 'Why do I need a gun? why do you need a gun?'
    Me: '. . . to protect yourself, ... to protect myself, ... for self-defense'
    Bob: 'God will protect me.'
    Me: 'Then why do you have a job?'
    Bob: 'WHAT ? ? ?'

Me: 'I have heard you say that God will provide, and I agree with that'
    Me: 'I agree that God will provide for me, but I have to be wise and also work.'
    Me: 'I agree that God will protect me, but I have to be wise and also protect myself'
    Me: 'I know I need to be wise with God's protection and God's provisions'
    Me: 'So, if God will protect you (without your input), and God will provide for you (without your input), then why do you have a job?'

Bob: 'The police will protect me . . .' . . .

Me: 'OK, I see where this is going . . .'
    Because my wife makes me.

Top Bottom