Why Doesn't Anyone Sell Virgin Shot Gun Receivers?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • navarre1095

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2010
    Meth Vernon
    I want that SxS from Mad Max.:rockwoot: You want one too and don't say you don't. Is there some sort of law that prevents An American company from selling virgin break action recievers? Heck, I'd settle for a single shot. Why aren't they available as parts? I have a .410/.45LC Comanche but a 20 or 12 gauge Lupara would be cool to have as an AOW. :draw:

navarre1095

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2010
    Meth Vernon
    Wouldn't that be a SBS and therefore illegal in Indiana?

I saw that episode. didn't they just take a long gun and hack the stock and most of the barrel length off? How do they get away with that?

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    As for something being an SBS or not... If you make a "short shotgun" from a virgin receiver; IE never having had a stock, then that short shotgun would be an AOW, not an SBS.

Look up the Serbu Super Shorty or KEG 12 for examples of short shotguns that are AOWs, not SBSs.

-J-

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    If it has a shoulder stock it's a SBS. If it's a pistol grip (and never had a shoulder stock) and a short barrel it's an AOW (smooth bore pistol).

navarre1095

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2010
    Meth Vernon
    I want that SxS from Mad Max.:rockwoot: You want one too and don't say you don't. Is there some sort of law that prevents An American company from selling virgin break action recievers? Heck, I'd settle for a single shot. Why aren't they available as parts? I have a .410/.45LC Comanche but a 20 or 12 gauge Lupara would be cool to have as an AOW. :draw:

I don't want a pump. I want a legal to own in the free state of Indiana AOW. I was wondering why no one has figured out that they could make a killing selling just the break action receiver. Traderator, that Ithaca replica rocks!
    Lupara - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Galveston
    Back to the point of the OP, does anyone know why they apparently won't make receivers available?
    They probably don't produce a virgin receiver due to low demand. Profit margins are also less on a receiver than the whole gun.

Write a letter to your favorite company and see if they can accommodate your request.

MikeA

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    80 million gun owners is a small number?

yes, its 39% of the US population. I would guess less than 10% of that are NFA owners. Then you get into the AOW owners that I would assume is even smaller since most states you that you can own NFA items you can buy a SBS instead of going the AOW route.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Probably because cutting down a double takes some skill. Most would end up trashed in a redneck garage project before they ever fired the first shot. That would not be good for their brand name and there is no real financial incentive for an American manufacturer to offer one.

Since NFA can not be imported, is there even a cheap American made SxS? That may be the real issue, emphasis on cheap and American made.

Did Ithaca ever bring back their doubles?

chipdog4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Could someone use the recent letter from the ATF about rifles to pistols and back as an example to get a letter about needing virgin receivers for AOW for shotguns?

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    Can't be imported, huh? I guess I don't know that much about it, but seems like the Saiga 12 SBS's in other states are imports?

Saiga SBS's are conversions.

No imported transferable NFA items have been allowed since the '68 GCA.

That's why you see no transferable Silencers from overseas and MG's and silencers imported after 68 are pre or post 86 samples.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    Saiga SBS's are conversions.

No imported transferable NFA items have been allowed since the '68 GCA.

That's why you see no transferable Silencers from overseas and MG's and silencers imported after 68 are pre or post 86 samples.
    That's not 100% clear to me. Conversions because they were important than made compliant, therefore can be SBS'd?

So could one take a foreign virgin lower, replace.....parts....of its rest of the gun with American ones, and make an AOW?

Top Bottom