• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jubbie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Northwest Indiana (slacker)
    Just this week I've read about 2 home invasions where the owners have discharged their firearms. Both people missed the bad guys.

Lawrence - Homeowner opens fire on burglary suspects - WTHR | Indianapolis

Hammond - Would-be burglars flee home when owner fires loaded gun / nwi.com

If someone breaks into my house I'd rather not just scare them away. I'm going to hit my target, then of course tell the police I'd like to press charges (I think that's a Clintism, or it should be). Last trip to the range my buddy and I practiced low light/flashlight firing. Next trip we're going to be setting up a false wall to come around. I know when these kinds of events happen that adrenaline kicks in which might throw off your shot, not really sure how to get my adrenaline flowing to mimic the rush.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I think we can all agree that:

I'd rather not be home-invaded.

But if that happens, I'd rather not fire a shot.

If I have to fire a shot, I hope (for mental-soundness sake) that it's a miss.

If I have to shoot and I do not miss...so begins a lifetime of mental anquish and stress associated with it.

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    Im diggin the title :):
    "Would-be burglars flee home when owner fires loaded gun "

can one fire an unloaded gun?:dunno:

seriously tho. a home invasion is something we all hope never happens..nice to know we can protect our family and property but once you do pull that trigger your life will never be the same.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    not really sure how to get my adrenaline flowing to mimic the rush.

uspsa.org
    idpa.com

Fortunately I've not real-life tested it, but I know lots of guys who have; they can't say enough for what competition did for them as far as steady nerves, solid gun handling, and good hits under pressure.

I've seen lots of shaky hands at the end of a stage on new competitors, and remember those days my self, so it obviously does get the juices pumping.

it's why I got started competing.

-rvb

Jubbie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Northwest Indiana (slacker)
    I did do paintball for 2 years. Probably not as intense, but I do remember the rush of not wanting to be shot. We played in the woods, so it was a much larger field with more places to hide.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    When I do my practice drills at home, I suck down an energy drink, get mentally riled up and do a mess of pushups. I try to get myself physically mad (thinking about something that really pissed me off earlier in life), then run my drills. I get shakey, but not as shakey as I was after getting mugged once.

Pami got it on the head. Force on Force training. I need to get a cheap airsoft 1911! I got a guy at Eagle Creek who is willing to fight me too! :D Yeay training, boo welts!

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    force on force is great... and probably the best option in my opinion.... however speaking from experience NOTHING can replicate the real thing... i imagine though, next time i am put into life threatening situations my blood wont be flowing near as much as it was the first few..... the means the more force on force you do, the less it wil get you going, however that also means the calmer you will be in real life

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    When I do my practice drills at home, I suck down an energy drink, get mentally riled up and do a mess of pushups. I try to get myself physically mad (thinking about something that really pissed me off earlier in life), then run my drills. I get shakey, but not as shakey as I was after getting mugged once.

Pami got it on the head. Force on Force training. I need to get a cheap airsoft 1911! I got a guy at Eagle Creek who is willing to fight me too! :D Yeay training, boo welts!

I am so picturing Vern doing this.....:D

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I am so picturing Vern doing this.....:D

:) Only in moderation! Gotta get into the mindset of anger, especially when I am trying to write "Taxi Driver" the musical! :D

IndyGunWorks got it right on the head. When I was mugged a few years back, it was a REALLY eye opening experience, particularly in regards to mindset. I was shaking big time, nothing close to what I can get in "training".

Top Bottom