• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    1. Deliverance. (movie with Jon Voight and Burt Reynolds)
    2. Cujo (Saint Bernard gone bad)
    3. Meth Heads
    4. capable of firing 3 rounds (this helps rescuers find you after you broke a leg and are incapable of walking.)
    5. Backup if main weapon breaks.

GunGunDin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    To be fair, I saw a pack of coyotes while I was in my car.(first time ever seeing coyotes in NWI). If I was walking and I saw that pack I would feel pretty naked without something bigger than a PPK.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    To be fair, I saw a pack of coyotes while I was in my car.(first time ever seeing coyotes in NWI). If I was walking and I saw that pack I would feel pretty naked without something bigger than a PPK.

Coyotes (pack or not) aren't going to attack humans (if you're alive and kicking that is. They may eat a dead carcus, though). Hell, I saw a pack of 15-20 when I was on a run in Ohio in the middle of the night, and didn't think anything of it.

reason for a woods gun in southern Indiana:
    Meth cookers
    mountain lions
    mean loose dogs
    possible black bear if you're far enough south/east
    some people say snake, but that's only if you hate snakes and want to kill them. Otherwise, just go around them. It's not like they're going to chase you down.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    A 'Woods Gun' in Indiana? I have two (2) such mythical weapons...the first is a 4" Ruger SP101 in .22lr (an older, 6-shot version) which is a terrific defense weapon against all those rabid squirrels, rabbits, and the like!

The second is a 4" Ruger GP100 in .357 magnum...which is a terrific defense weapon against the angry pot smokers and anyone who chooses to violently disagree with our presence (which is never really an issue as I do not make it a habit to treaspass...we own the land we hike through...or have permission to be there!)

However, if you have never seen wild dog pack run through across your farm...a nice shotgun loaded with #3 buck does a great job as does a 5.56!

Last edited:

Volt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Southport
    I guess no one remembers the Boy Scout leader that got his throat slashed while hiking through the woods. You just never know what dangers are lurking in unexpected places.

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    I guess no one remembers the Boy Scout leader that got his throat slashed while hiking through the woods. You just never know what dangers are lurking in unexpected places.

Of course I don't go anywhere unarmed...

'cept schools and post offices

We've had murders out this way, in addition to meth heads and all the other idiots. Hence the reason I don't go unarmed anywhere I'm not legally prohibited from being...

'Cause I don't know when the threat will come.

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    meth heads, drug dealers ,thief's ive ran into meth labs in coolers( dont shoot them by the way makes a hell of a bang) vending machines dumped there broken open by teenagers, copper thief's( DNR found them) and i still think i seen a mountain lion a couple years ago, found weed growing and have ran in to people trespassing and hunting our land with out permission had one take a shot at me two years ago(wish i knew who he was he be enjoying jail right now) and god knows what else might be out there best to have something with you, i take a cheap 22 pistol on me and a shotgun and a ak is in the truck or on the snowmobile. if you frequent northeast PA its nice to have a rifle that can take a black bear down like 30.06 just in case. and take a radio or cell phone.

Last edited:

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I hike in the Daniel Boone Forrest in KY from time to time. You 100% need a gun down there. First time I hiked there, I didn't have one and one of the locals called me an idiot for not having one on me. Apparently there's a lot of backwoods weed growers and meth labs out there...as well as bears.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I like to carry a .22 when I go to the woods outside of hunting season... I guess I better put the .45 colt in the shoulder holster. I didn't realize I was under dressing.

Sledge357

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2014
    Bluffton
    My idea of a woods gun is something to plink with. So a 10/22 satisfies my definition. Of course I still have my EDC on me. Apparently meth heads are over populated!

Gunslinger45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Not that I have a dedicated "Woods gun" but I carry my full size USP 9mm mostly outside for the fact of coyotes. Been having packs 6+ roaming around lately.

Top Bottom