• ...and so much more!
  • Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Woods gun/trail rig.......

If I'm just farting around looking for deer antlers, or scouting.........or just hiking with the fam, I take my 1911.
    If there are groundhogs around, or it's in deer season, I take my .357 or .44.

Love blasting chucks. When not focused on chuck hunting, like when in a woods and not bean field..............chances are you'll notice them when they are close to their burrow. They are pretty tough critters. And a .44 helps keep them from making it down the hole.

Hit and down the hole= score as a miss.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    You know gun owners-- they'll use any excuse to get a new gun for a very narrow or specific requirement. Hence the woods gun, the BBQ gun, the truck gun, the BOB gun, the SHTF gun, the pocket gun, the Spring/Summer/Fall/Winter gun, etc.

I don't think I have a "BBQ" gun. Please define and if possible advise of a 1911 to do the job properly. I don't want to be out of INGO favor because I don't have one.

sliptap

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Are we gonna get into another caliber debate? Against humans, everything from 22 up will kill you if your hit in the right place. Its a matter of what your proficient with, and what your comfortable with...

...IMHO, if your in Indiana, your fine with a standard defensive caliber, 9mm, 40,45. You could get by with a 380 or a 22 if your proficient with it. A large bore handgun is mostly overkill here, although, if you are proficient with it, and you don't mind the lower capacity(mostly) Go for it.

I think you solidified the point I was actually trying to make. Why would you try to just "get by" with a caliber if you knew you had better options?

If you want to fend off a pack of rabid dogs and "get by" with just a Ruger Mark II, by all means, that's your prerogative. For me, I don't enjoy being a chew toy so I'll be carrying something heavier. Now I won't be lugging a 50 BMG around, but a heavier caliber with additional rounds makes more sense to me.

To me, the point of a "woodsgun" is something bigger that you wouldn't necessarily consider your EDC, but has extra firepower for those "open carry walks in the woods" sort of experiences. A .22 that is fun to shoot, in my own words, is a "plinkster". In other news, the SlipTap Shooters Dictionary (Volume 1) will be on sale at your local bookstar shortly. :cool:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I don't think I have a "BBQ" gun. Please define and if possible advise of a 1911 to do the job properly. I don't want to be out of INGO favor because I don't have one.

"BBQ gun" is a fancy gun that is only carried at special events. In Texas I believe it is the nice/dress gun that gets worn to court by local law enforcement. I have heard Lovemywoods refer to and ask about BBQ guns. He was referring to highly engraved or otherwise dressed up firearms.

I have always though of a BBQ gun as a pistol that is carried only on special occasions regardless of how ornate they are. These are basically guns that have enormous sentimental value and not something suitable as a working gun for EDC. But I have since learned that is not the true definition.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    "BBQ gun" is a fancy gun that is only carried at special events. In Texas I believe it is the nice/dress gun that gets worn to court by local law enforcement. I have heard Lovemywoods refer to and ask about BBQ guns. He was referring to highly engraved or otherwise dressed up firearms.

I have always though of a BBQ gun as a pistol that is carried only on special occasions regardless of how ornate they are. These are basically guns that have enormous sentimental value and not something suitable as a working gun for EDC. But I have since learned that is not the true definition.

So in answer to Harry's question about a 1911... this one should do nicely! :)

image_gun_coltgold.jpg

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    My "woods gun" is the same as my daily carry gun for the same reasons. My daily carry gets the most attention at the range, I'm most comfortable with it, I have several ways/platforms to carry it, it is reliable, it has more than sufficient capability to stop or kill 2 or 4 legged varmints. I selected the caliber from all the places I might take it which includes bear country.

Those who hunt out of state may think about all the places you may carry - in and out of the woods - when standardizing on a single carry.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    So in answer to Harry's question about a 1911... this one should do nicely! :)

image_gun_coltgold.jpg

I just threw up in my mouth. Thats a god awful abomination, and a slap in the face to John Moses Browning's rotten corpse.
    If I was gonna carry a 1911 as an ornament, it would be a GI issued ww2 surplus gun.

Snizz1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    Coyotes (pack or not) aren't going to attack humans (if you're alive and kicking that is. They may eat a dead carcus, though). Hell, I saw a pack of 15-20 when I was on a run in Ohio in the middle of the night, and didn't think anything of it.

reason for a woods gun in southern Indiana:
    Meth cookers
    mountain lions
    mean loose dogs
    possible black bear if you're far enough south/east
    some people say snake, but that's only if you hate snakes and want to kill them. Otherwise, just go around them. It's not like they're going to chase you down.

This is pretty much on for me, agree on the coyotes too. I've been surrounded by them coming out of a stand numerous times after dark. Reel eerie feeling when a pack is howling close to you. But once they figure out what you are they split... Usually

I could cross off bears though and add general personal protection/back up gun. If you've hunted a lot you've probably ran into or hear trespasser stories. I'd hope for a calm resolution but would want a way to defend myself as a last resort if needed.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Kinda surprised nobody is carrying a single action .357 or .41 Rugers. They're hand rifles and easy to load for, low powered small game loads or photon torpedo level. This .41 rivet bullet is ready for the hogs to come back into the back yard.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Kinda surprised nobody is carrying a single action .357 or .41 Rugers. They're hand rifles and easy to load for, low powered small game loads or photon torpedo level. This .41 rivet bullet is ready for the hogs to come back into the back yard.

I carry my 657 in the woods, always liked it over a Blackhawk

Never tried 295s out of a .41, might be fun

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    My Glock(s) choice of the day is my woods gun, now in Michigan between 15 and 30 November, I have been known to carry my Winchester mdl-70 (.308) and sit in said woods looking for a Buck.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    OK.... many of you aren't getting the point I'm trying to make..?
    Typically a "woods gun" is something of large caliber and a magnum charge, mainly to protect against mountain lions (one in a billion chance you'll ever see one in IN), bears, wolves, motherly moose, preditors in general. In IN, we don't have these.
    Like many of you stated, your "woods gun" is to protect against another man. Well why do you call it a "woods gun" when a "man gun" is usually your "EDC gun."
    Catch my flow? Haha

Who in the hell called anything a "woods gun?" I've haunted ranges, gun shops, and gun shows in this state for around 25 years and never heard that term used.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    How about a "trail gun"? Wouldn't that be the same as a "woods gun"?

"Brush gun" doesn't work since I have heard people use that term to describe short distance deer guns. For instance shotguns with slugs or a 30-30 in States that it is legal to hunt with rifles.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    scottrodgers87
    Top Bottom