• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MadBomber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Brownsburg
    I saw this article this morning and thought I'd pass it on.

Why more Americans pay no income tax - CNN.com

The last paragraph is my favorite:

"The real issue is that millions of Americans no longer have any skin in the game and are becoming inoculated from the basic cost of government. To them, government seems free and politicians can easily convince them to support more and more spending because someone else is going to pay the tab. This trend deserves a broader national discussion than either party in Washington seems willing to engage in."

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    I did not pay any income tax this year, because I had no income. Did not work the whole year. Only a little unemployment to get by on. That turned out to not be enough to cover my deductions. So I had no tax and no tax refund. I went though all my saving and came close to having to sell of firearms but could retire the first of the year and that saved me from having to do that.

While it is a early retirement, I can survive on it. I will go back to work when/if construction picks back up.

boozoo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    NE Indy
    I would like to see demographics on the half that's no paying. How much of that is because of retirees, unemployed, etc.

Still... it's does kind of slap you in the face and it makes you wonder why we don't replace the income tax with a national sales/service tax (just one example)

DustinG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    I would agree with your example of a sales tax, however, providing the federal government with more ways to tax is not a good thing. First, the income tax amendment would have to be repealed by an amendment that strictly forbids it. I do not trust the government otherwise and would not give them an additional tool.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    The other reason a sales tax won't work is because they will exempt so much crap that those who aren't paying anything now still won't be paying the sales tax.

radonc73

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Lowell
    I would like to see how many households don't pay taxes, that would be more helpful. I mean my 2 year old doesn't pay taxes either he shouldn't be included in the stats.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I would like to see how many households don't pay taxes, that would be more helpful. I mean my 2 year old doesn't pay taxes either he shouldn't be included in the stats.

I believe one of the statistics is that 47% of "families" don't pay any income taxes. I would assume that is the closest to a "household" number you will get.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    My 80+ year old parents don't pay any federal income tax. The feds make sure they make too much (called social insecurity and retirement account) to be considered in the poor-house so they can't get any "freebies", yet not enough to trigger taxes. Every year they are forced to take out an amount from their retirement whether they need it or not.

Of course, my parents are the exception, as my dad worked hard all his life, including being a decorated WWII vet, and my mom was one of those "stay at home" mothers who did a pretty good job of raising three brats!

I wonder what the percentage would be if they didn't count retirees and only counted those of working age!?!?!?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    I paid no Income tax in Indiana or to the Feds.

I did owe Ohio 8 dollars but that's because of some silly thing they penalize you for for moving away.

I paid no income tax because I did not earn enough in Ohio or Indiana.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    I think a flat tax is the way to go, pay no taxes out of your check but have the option to put that percentage (what would be year end) aside in a tax free high interest savings account. That way at the end of the year you just write the government a check. Too bad there aren't enough honest people in this country.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    If they would Exclude food, except for fast food and restraunts and the like, Utilities like Electricity, gas, water, and Insurance, I would be Ok with them killing the Income Tax and replace it with a sales tax.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    If they would Exclude food, except for fast food and restraunts and the like, Utilities like Electricity, gas, water, and Insurance, I would be Ok with them killing the Income Tax and replace it with a sales tax.

If the flat tax ever stood a snowballs chance in hades of passing, they will do exactly that. Those who aren't paying any taxes now still won't be paying them. The politicians will exempt anything related to the "poor". IE, rent will be exempt to a certain dollar amount, food, cars under a certain amount, etc. Then what would be the difference?

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    I'm tired of everyone stepping up to get their freebies. Welfare? Gone. Corporate welfare? Gone. Farm subsidies? Gone. Homosexual-in-drag-needing-fake-boobies subsidy? Gone. Stop all welfare, stop all subsidies. Let the market determine winners and losers. Winners should win, losers should die. That is capitalism.

I favor a straight consumption tax, nothing excluded. The more you spend, the more you're taxed. The more you save, the less you're taxed.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    At the very least, exclude food. Store bought food. That's not a freebie and it's not welfare.

However, if they axe Income Tax, Property tax better be next. Not only should we be allowed to keep every penny we earn, we should also not fear that the government take our homes or land because of owed property tax. I'm sick of seeing people's homes and land taken because they can't afford the property tax. I guess that would be a whole thread in itself though...

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    At the very least, exclude food. Store bought food. That's not a freebie and it's not welfare.

Hum... NO! But how about we compromise.

Fresh produce (ie. fruits & veggies that are RAW not processed)
    100% "healthy" products with NO ANYTHING ELSE.
    So gallon of regular milk OK but any flavor milk NO
    So quart of OJ OK but OJ with xyz in it NO
    So block of WI cheese or but Kraft single slices NO (they have other crap in them)
    Fresh meats (ie packages of raw chicken, tuna, ribs, etc..)

But everything else in the store that is processed or has any type of addactive ESPECIALLY that High Frutouse Corn Syrpy crap tax it!!!

You force the nation ot eat better, the farmers will grow more natural stuff and we get rid over time of all the obesity in this country.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Hum... NO! But how about we compromise.

Fresh produce (ie. fruits & veggies that are RAW not processed)
    100% "healthy" products with NO ANYTHING ELSE.
    So gallon of regular milk OK but any flavor milk NO
    So quart of OJ OK but OJ with xyz in it NO
    So block of WI cheese or but Kraft single slices NO (they have other crap in them)
    Fresh meats (ie packages of raw chicken, tuna, ribs, etc..)

But everything else in the store that is processed or has any type of addactive ESPECIALLY that High Frutouse Corn Syrpy crap tax it!!!

You force the nation ot eat better, the farmers will grow more natural stuff and we get rid over time of all the obesity in this country.

Listen to yourself! You're making choices for people that they should make for themselves!!! Of all people, I wouldn't think you would say something like that...

If you're going to exclude amy kind of store bought food, you have to exclude it all.

Let's use your train of thought in a different way. Let's exclude all vehicles that get 35+ MPG, but tax the crap out of used cars and big V-8 gas guzzlers. That way we FORCE people to drive more economical vehicles.

Or substitute cars and food for a certain percentage of electricity and natural gas so we can force people to use only so much of the Country's resources... That's how the debates will go. Currently some foods are tax exempt such as milk, eggs, and bread. If you take away the Income tax in favor of a sales tax, prices of everything will increase exponentially. What's the one thing people MUST buy to survive? Food. What happens to those who live on Social Security such as those who are retired and the disabled? They might not purchase a lot of goods, but they will purchase more food with their checks than anything else.

I don't like the idea of taxing the one thing people so vitally need to survive.

Think about it. A $2/gal milk jug today would end up costing $10 if the taxes changed. (Probably not that high, but still, you get my point.)

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009

However, if they axe Income Tax, Property tax better be next. Not only should we be allowed to keep every penny we earn, we should also not fear that the government take our homes or land because of owed property tax. I'm sick of seeing people's homes and land taken because they can't afford the property tax. I guess that would be a whole thread in itself though...

I understand what you're saying, but as soon as there is one exception the entire system breaks down. Everything we eat is processed, if for no otehr reason it needed to be removed from its home, transported to its place of commerce, placed upon a shelf, selected, taken home, and eaten by the consumer. There are several touch points that without government intervention food would not hit our plate. That's why I have no problems with paying taxes for everything I consume.

As far as property, you should pay a tax when you purchase property, just like any other item you take title to, or consume. Once you've paid your fine, your property is yours.

I would also mandate a budget process where the government can borrowq for capital expenses, but not operational expenses, unless in a time of war or state of emergency. It's too easy for government to kick the piggy bank out of the way on the way to the printing press.

This would force government at all levels to compete for people to live and do busines there. Safer streets, arts, parks, etc - whatever gravitates you to live in a certain area would be what they would do.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Listen to yourself! You're making choices for people that they should make for themselves!!! Of all people, I wouldn't think you would say something like that...

& thus why my first answer is "Hum... NO!" becuase as you have pointed out and others have as well as soon as we compromise the system breaks down. :D So tax it all @ a flat rate and be done with it.

Top Bottom