• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    Getting a 40 1911 to run 100% also isn't very easy. The 40 is is rather short in terms of OAL compared to its diameter. The 1911 frame was really designed to run on ammo that short. If one stops to think about it, this is why 38 Super and 45 are about the same OAL, and that 9mm 1911 magazines have spaces in the back to shorten the jump from the magazine feed lips to the ramps.

A lot of people who do own 40 1911s also load their own and often times load them a much longer OAL than factory. I had a STI Trojan in 40 for a while an never quite got that thing to gun right, even with long ammo. So, if you land one and it doesn't run like a sewing machine, you know why.

If it were me (and it isn't), I'd look hard at any of the many 9mm 1911 offerings.

Gh2 got mine running like a top, but I struggled with it for a few months before I gave in and let him have it.
    When I first got it it had a lot of intermittent feeding issues that had me chasing nonexistent ammo problems. It was frustrating to say the least. Now that it runs I love it

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    "A lot of people who do own 40 1911s also load their own and often times load them a much longer OAL than factory."

slow1911 is right on this point. In action pistol use my .40 Para would hickup sometimes. I started using round nosed bullets instead of the usual flattened round nose found in most .40's, I also loaded them long and the hickups went away. I have since worked on the throat and ramp a little, and now it seems to run fine either way, but I still take the long loaded ammo if I am speed shooting against the clock.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    A 1911 NOT in .45 ACP?!

43db22fb_130335777151.gif

Top Bottom