• ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    What if the cyclist you take issue with will be turning left at that stop light. What if the other cyclist is actually on the sidewalk and it isn't a bike lane?

A moments thought is all that's required to think there may be a rational reason for them to be where they are
    Read on. All will be revealed.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    My real complaint with the new love for roundabouts is they are too big. They only need to be one lane because they aren't large enough to stay in the inner lane if you are going to the far side because that trip only takes five seconds. At that size, they should give the average moron behind the wheel as few choices to make as possible and they'd have less trouble

The real roundabouts back east took up a whole block and were often the town square, so multiple lanes made more sense
    I think this one fits that description. This is on the UofL campus.

1711683893063.png

This really isn't a large roundabout at all. Yet there are two lanes. Occasionally going North on S Floyd St, you might see two vehicles in separate lanes. But that's because the person in the left lane on S Floyd usually wants to go West on E Brandeis. And the person in the right lane of S Floyd usually wants to turn East on E Brandeis. So they're not in the roundabout really. Once someone is on the roundabout, no one else ever gets on it. I think because no one really minds the lanes.

Also. From the satellite image one might get the impression, hey, this campus isn't bad. I can assure that it is in a **** hole. There was a shooting about a block North of there just a couple months ago.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I think this one fits that description. This is on the UofL campus.

View attachment 343267

This really isn't a large roundabout at all. Yet there are two lanes. Occasionally going North on S Floyd St, you might see two vehicles in separate lanes. But that's because the person in the left lane on S Floyd usually wants to go West on E Brandeis. And the person in the right lane of S Floyd usually wants to turn East on E Brandeis. So they're not in the roundabout really. Once someone is on the roundabout, no one else ever gets on it. I think because no one really minds the lanes.

Also. From the satellite image one might get the impression, hey, this campus isn't bad. I can assure that it is in a **** hole. There was a shooting about a block North of there just a couple months ago.
    The markings are nonexistent in the pic if that is two lanes in the circle.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Funny, I thought the point you wanted to make was that 'bicycles are not considered in road design', they obviously are but some roads are old enough that they predate those considerations. If you want to go back that far, I'm pretty sure you could safely say the viae Romanae did not consider bicycles in their design (unless, of course, you wish to consider chariots to be a type of bi cycle)
    That is indeed my point, and the guide that you linked demonstrates it. Bicycles haven't been (generally and primarily) considered, which is why the guide makes recommendations to change the design considerations to accommodate bicycles (and pedestrians). Will the design of new and/or modified roads and intersections consider bicycles? Seems likely.

It should also be obvious that the vast predominance of existing infrastructure predates this guide's (and similar) efforts to consider bicycles in the design of roads. Why is this point so difficult to agree on?

I agree with Jamil: it is a matter of accommodation. Roads simply weren't designed with bicycles primarily or generally in mind; they were designed primarily and generally for motor vehicles. Thus, bicycles must be accommodated in the use of roads that weren't specifically designed for them - accommodation that can cause various forms of difficulty, inefficiency, and frustration (for motorists and for bicyclists).

Why, from the bicyclist point of view, is it somehow derogatory or improper to acknowledge that bicycles are accommodated on public roads?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The extent to which bicycles are considered for roads can be ascertained by what is the difference between a road designed for bicycles in mind and one which hasn’t. So what’s the difference?

Pick any given road designed in the last 20 years and tell me what on that road would be different if no considerations for bicycles were made. Don’t bother with roads that have bike lanes. That’s obvious, and no one in this thread likes them.

So. What’s the difference! Surely there is more than road grates.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    The extent to which bicycles are considered for roads can be ascertained by what is the difference between a road designed for bicycles in mind and one which hasn’t. So what’s the difference?

Pick any given road designed in the last 20 years and tell me what on that road would be different if no considerations for bicycles were made. Don’t bother with roads that have bike lanes. That’s obvious, and no one in this thread likes them.

So. What’s the difference! Surely there is more than road grates.
    If you are looking for the chapter and verse that says “in consideration of bicycles do the following” I doubt it is there. I would expect when decisions are made on lane width, shoulders, curbs, and berms, etc. that all potential users are considered.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    If you are looking for the chapter and verse that says “in consideration of bicycles do the following” I doubt it is there. I would expect when decisions are made on lane width, shoulders, curbs, and berms, etc. that all potential users are considered.
    No. I'm doing the opposite of that. I'm simplifying it to point out primary use. I guess we can throw a "general use" in there as a nod to Chip. It's one of the reasons, I say that motor vehicles on the road should have the right of way. The primary use for roads is for motor vehicles, not bicycles. Motor vehicles far outnumber other users.

Last edited:

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Can you point to something that backs up your assertion? I'm curious what part of the road design you think took bikes into consideration.

It seems much more like building the roads for passenger vehicles, and if the smaller/slower vehicles are able to use them, great. The one vehicle type I can see that is taken into consideration for road design is large trucks. Many roads are built with weight limits for vehicles that ride on them.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Can you point to something that backs up your assertion? I'm curious what part of the road design you think took bikes into consideration.
    Road grates. They didn't want cyclists falling into the storm drains when motor vehicles run them off the roads.

It seems much more like building the roads for passenger vehicles, and if the smaller/slower vehicles are able to use them, great. The one vehicle type I can see that is taken into consideration for road design is large trucks. Many roads are built with weight limits for vehicles that ride on them.

Yep. :thumbsup:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Delivery biker goes through red light
    Gets hit by NJ councilwoman, who runs.
    Now, she's charged..
    And the biker wants to sue.

Sue?
    Dude ran through a red light.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Now, she's charged..

Sue?

I'm sure some court will hear it. I'm wondering more about her reason to wait 6 hours to report herself. Sobering up maybe?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Now, she's charged..

Sue?

You got that split second to decide your fate after something like that. So she made the quick decision to split. ****ed up her career. But if the dude ran the light and she stayed at the scene, she'd have been fine. It shouldn't help his law suit that she ran, but it probably will.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Now, she's charged..

Sue?

Why did she flee the scene? BAC or some other chemical impairment? If so, she would still be f***ed even if the dude admitted he was trying to commit suicide

Edit: Anybody know if that intersection is 4 way stop. Not trying to alibi the cyclist, he broke another law when he passed the stopped vehicle at the intersection on the left before he ran the stop, just wondering if she will be up on other charges

Last edited:
    Top Bottom