WHY WE CARRY: What scenario are you preparing for?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sopwith21

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I carry a gun to prepare for 1) active shooter scenarios (malls, theaters, etc), and 2) returning to an empty house when I leave. In most other instances I carry a knife.

In what instances do you carry, and for what are you preparing?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I carry a gun because Frank_N_Stein wont follow me around everywhere. :):

I carry because there are too many crazies with no regard for human life. Active shooter? My first priority is getting my family to safety. Would I take the shot if the opportunity presented itself? Maybe. Hard to say.

dirtdigger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Bargersville, IN
    If I leave the house, there is a gun on my side. For what am I preparing for....bad actors who would do me or mine harm.
    The old adage applies, better to have it and not need it than the other way around. It's a tool that I carry, just like any other, that has it's purpose, God forbid!

Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    I carry to increase my odds of survival until the police arrive on the scene. Bad things can happen to good people anytime anywhere. I don't want to be one of those people who says when it is all over, "I never thought it would happen to me." Rather than making me paranoid in my daily living, I find that I am a peace. I have done all I can humanly speaking to prepare for the uncertainties in life. The rest is out of my hands. :)

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    I carry a gun because I was born and raised surrounded by the niceties of society. South side of chicago to the west, and gary indiana to the east.

I've seen what society has to offer, and choose to take the protection of my loved ones and myself into my own hands.

I've sent almost 100,000 rounds downrange, training in my lifetime so far, to have the ability to do so properly. :ingo:

sopwith21

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I guess I'm selective. When IMO the risks of not carrying outweigh the risks of carrying, I do so. Otherwise, I opt for the knife. It is much harder to get thrown in jail with a knife, especially in Indiana where knife laws are very lenient.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.

I carry because there are too many crazies with no regard for human life. Active shooter? My first priority is getting my family to safety. Would I take the shot if the opportunity presented itself? Maybe. Hard to say.

I couldn't have said it better, myself...

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN

If you could pay me as much as or more than I make now, I'd quit my job and be your personal follower.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    I believe the adage is old, but still accurate:

I don't carry for the reasons I can think of, I carry for the reasons I can't.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    For all the reasons listed above (except for Frank isn't following me), mostly with just a touch of 'because it's my right to'.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Because when the world goes bad it goes bad in a hurry and I've seen it. I don't want my family to but I'm not just wishing it won't happen, I'm prepared for it to.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    I carry different firearms for different jobs, just as different tools are for different jobs.

I carry a 10mm in the field for critters that could do me harm or need convincing to go elsewhere.

I carry a number of rifles/muzzy's etc. as the season and critter dictates for hunting.

When not at work, I carry one of four firearms - as dress and threat dictate - for personal defense, me and my family or whomever is with me.

On the personal defense issue, the firearm is a last resort to my SA. I don't walk into obvious (possible) traps where I may have to shoot to get out. I maintain vision on all possible threats or I leave. I choose to conceal for a number of reasons, but keeping my ability to respond appropriately to the level of threat to myself would be my number 1. Prepping for personal defense threats means shooting as often as I can, shooting weak hand, clearing and securing in multiple positions, shooting from uncomfortable positions, clearing and firing as smoothly and quickly (safely) as possible maintaining accuracy...

Top Bottom