• ...and so much more!
  • Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I always assume the other drivers don't see me or the bike. Plan on them pulling out or crossing over into your lane. Can't be too careful.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    You see bicycles riding along being total rectal orifices, acting like they own the road. My bike riding philosophy was always "cars are bigger than me, cars can hurt me", so I always rode like a prey animal among predators. It doesn't do any good you had the right of way when you're laying in the hospital bed after they scraped you off the pavement and duct taped you back together. Motorcycle just makes more noise.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I had a very similar thing happen to me. I was sitting at a red light in the turn lane waiting to turn left. The traffic light turned green for all lanes. The two ladies driving a mini van in the on coming lane were talking to each other and not paying attention. I waited and waited and waited until the light was just about to change before letting out on the clutch and started to make my turn.

Just as I was past the point of no return I read the drivers lips "Oh it's green". I'm thinking I sure hope she isn't going to do what I think she is going to do. Yep she starts to move forward toward me still running her mouth the the passenger. I leaned way into the turn and twisted the throttle.

I'm glad Indiana passed the "Dead Red" traffic light rule for motorcycles. If I'm in that position again I would just wait for the light to turn red and then go when there was a break in the cross traffic. At least I would feel more confident that the on coming traffic would stay stopped.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Most drivers don't see cycles, motor or bi, because their heads are so far up their asses it's impossible to see anything but the cell phone!

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    You see bicycles riding along being total rectal orifices, acting like they own the road. My bike riding philosophy was always "cars are bigger than me, cars can hurt me", so I always rode like a prey animal among predators. It doesn't do any good you had the right of way when you're laying in the hospital bed after they scraped you off the pavement and duct taped you back together. Motorcycle just makes more noise.
    I think differently. When I ride a bicycle on the road, where there is no bike lane or sidewalk (yes I know it's illegal), I ride just right of the center of the lane. I've had too many idiots just barely miss me when I was riding off to the right (trying to stay out of their way). When you ride in the center of the lane, it forces the cars behind you to either slow down and pass or gives you room to get out the way way if they try to just barely miss you. They are also more likely to see you in the center of the lane. All in all, no matter what, if you get hit on a bicycle, good luck.....

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Make an effort to look around, even at things that don't seem important like the side of the road or, if you're an SUV driver, your rear-view mirror. The more you consciously look around while driving, the better and more varied the visual information your brain receives will be, which will lead to a much higher-quality mental picture.

Gee, lookit that....a personal responsibility statement. Iffn ya wanna see things, LOOK FOR THEM. Has worked well for me all my life.

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I read a study some years ago and given the same set of circumstances people somehow ALWAYS seem to be able to see one brand of motorcycle every time whereas every other brand of motorcycle is almost invisible to them. The brand in question is the one with the word "POLICE" emblazoned on them.

Not a joke, a legitimate study! Go figure.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I think differently. When I ride a bicycle on the road, where there is no bike lane or sidewalk (yes I know it's illegal), I ride just right of the center of the lane. I've had too many idiots just barely miss me when I was riding off to the right (trying to stay out of their way). When you ride in the center of the lane, it forces the cars behind you to either slow down and pass or gives you room to get out the way way if they try to just barely miss you. They are also more likely to see you in the center of the lane. All in all, no matter what, if you get hit on a bicycle, good luck.....

Yeah, about the fourth time in a week I have to follow one of those guys for 1/4 mile going 15 in first I start thinking about hospital beds again. I'd be as visible as I could, but stay out of the way. That's just me though.

I did drive a school bus for some years, and became extremely aware of everything. I guess some people just zone out, but I wasn't the one having accidents :) You have the varmints, especially the smallest ones, that seem like they're trying to get run over, cars, motorcycles, bicycles, then the occasional schmuck with a scooter that's home that day (suspended?) and trying to play chicken with you. Somehow he doesn't consider that he'd be a stain on the pavement, and I'd barely notice I'd hit him.

MrPeabody

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Dec 1, 2011
    Hamilton County
    This is the one thing that really scares me when I ride. I have had people look me right in the eye and pull out in front of me. I have been riding forty years and it is always been the same. Although now you need to worry about the idiots on their phones. I had a good friend of mine gat his bike totaled at a light because some lady was busy texting. The suck part was it was an anniversary Harley that was less that four weeks old. He waited months for that bike and once wrecked was not able to replace it.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I've often told people that are considering getting into (motor) cycles that if they assume that every other vehicle on the road is trying to kill you and keep your head out of your own ass then you'll stand a pretty good chance of having a good ride. It's ironically humorous that the he-man biker types call me paranoid and tell me about the time(s) they've been hit, run off the road, etc.:dunno:

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    The way people drive now it's challenging being in a another vehicle and not get hit. I used to ride years ago. No way you would catch me on a motorcycle now a days. People on the road now are inconsiderate and drive way to dangerous.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I've often told people that are considering getting into (motor) cycles that if they assume that every other vehicle on the road is trying to kill you and keep your head out of your own ass then you'll stand a pretty good chance of having a good ride. It's ironically humorous that the he-man biker types call me paranoid and tell me about the time(s) they've been hit, run off the road, etc.:dunno:

There are strategies to improve your chances in day to day traffic. On two lanes carry a car in front because people are more likely to see that than you. On four lanes, carry a car beside you through an intersection if possible. The idea is to keep a sacrificial cage between you and danger as much as possible. On the freeway, don't get boxed in, that's the time to ride in the clear. If somebody want's to play, there are very few cars that can truly run with a bike for very long. Like firearms, you really need to know what you can do with 'em because you might have to

Last edited:

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Most drivers don't see cycles, motor or bi, because their heads are so far up their asses it's impossible to see anything but the cell phone!

I almost got taken out late last year, I didn't have time to break and only by a hard throttle twist and the grace of God I slid out of it.

Intersections suck. I was going south through a green light when someone turned in front of me (right on red) close but not a problem.
    The woman behind the car that turned just went on through the RED. Dumb ass was NOT watching the light, just the person in front of her.
    I don't know how I missed having her paint on my side bag.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    +100 on riding defensively. All the posts about riding like someone is going to run over you... More in larger cities traffic. I've been riding for 30 years and rode out of several near accidents it's just of when/how its going to happen not if. Always be very aware is a good start.
    Been seeing more of the motorcycle are everywhere/be aware signs in people's yards. That's a good start too.

packard

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    A lot of drivers are looking for a car, bus, truck etc. They don't 'see' a bike, because that's not what their looking for. Having your headlight on high beam helps. Newer bikes have very bright LED lights. Those will get most peoples attn. Still, presume they don't 'see' you.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Maybe I'm just the odd one out there specifically looking for motorcycles. I scan for potential issues from cars almost subconsciously, but try to pick out cycles first and foremost so I can give them extra room. Maybe it has something to do with family owning bikes and riding with them when I was a kid, maybe I'm just paranoid of squishing them, I dunno. But in a sea of cars, trucks, and semi's I just seem to always pick out and pay attention to motorcycles first.

The flipside is you'll never catch ME on a motorcycle. There are way too many oblivious and/or just plain greedy/rude drivers out there that don't seem to pay attention to semi's, let alone other cars or cycles. I only feel (moderately) safe on the roads in a truck--more steel around me the better.

Top Bottom