• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Okay, this is for someone who has taken his class. I certainly do not appreciate what Cory did and do not support it. But, is he a good instructor?

I know you specified, someone that has taken his class, sorry I just could not resit putting in my 2 cents.

I can only speak for myself as an old codger. The short answer is yes. I learned a few things from him just from his youtube videos. I don't know personally how great a trainer he is in general as I have never taken a class from him. But like I said, this old dog still learned something from him. I wouldn't hesitate to take a class from him. Training is the second most important thing about carrying a firearm. The first being a mindset or understanding of the use of deadly force ( one could argue the two go hand in hand ).

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I am sure a lot of the other self proclaimed gun gurus have plenty of half truthis in their bios. There is no gun guru university that they must pass. You become a BAMF operator/instructor by informing the world of your own awesomeness and starting up a few classes. Not a very high bar. Buyer beware.

gundoc111

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2014
    Indy
    I don't understand why people think military service, even combat, translates to civilian self-defense scenarios.

Well I think the issue is that SOMETIMES it matters. A military cook, truck driver, or computer operator would have at least BASIC firearms training but the odds are strongly against them firing a round in combat. A 0311, infantry, would probably have had a few rounds go his way and can tell you how it felt and how he acted.

Like most things in life experience matters.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Well I think the issue is that SOMETIMES it matters. A military cook, truck driver, or computer operator would have at least BASIC firearms training but the odds are strongly against them firing a round in combat. A 0311, infantry, would probably have had a few rounds go his way and can tell you how it felt and how he acted.

Like most things in life experience matters.

So does how he felt or how he acted have to do with anything? Every person reacts differently to stress. If want to hear war stories that is another thing.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    So does how he felt or how he acted have to do with anything? Every person reacts differently to stress. If want to hear war stories that is another thing.
    People who have training can react to stress with the training that they received. The mindset can have a lot to do with how much training one receives.

gundoc111

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2014
    Indy
    People who have training can react to stress with the training that they received. The mindset can have a lot to do with how much training one receives.

singlesin may be on to something. Just think how much the city, county, state, federal gov, and people, would save is they didn't have to mess with that pesky constant training from people WITH EXPERIENCE?:lmfao:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Training is valuable and it is good to get back to basics and also pick up on new things. That being said, I'd always rather have someone at my back who's "been there and done that" and has good training.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    singlesin may be on to something. Just think how much the city, county, state, federal gov, and people, would save is they didn't have to mess with that pesky constant training from people WITH EXPERIENCE?:lmfao:

Right because calling for fire support translates into a civilian self defense scenario. Keep you day job.:rolleyes:

gundoc111

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2014
    Indy
    Right because calling for fire support translates into a civilian self defense scenario. Keep you day job.:rolleyes:

Who said "FIRE SUPORT?" If you had ever worn a uniform, that didn't have merit badges, you would know that the majority of firefights don't need support. Put down the video games, TRY to enlist, and come back when you have been there and done that. Till then you are just another wannabe. You are confusing what you see in your games with what adults who wear a uniform do.

Sorry if I hurt your feelings but you really need to sit back and THINK before you post.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Who said "FIRE SUPORT?" If you had ever worn a uniform, that didn't have merit badges, you would know that the majority of firefights don't need support. Put down the video games, TRY to enlist, and come back when you have been there and done that. Till then you are just another wannabe. You are confusing what you see in your games with what adults who wear a uniform do.

Sorry if I hurt your feelings but you really need to sit back and THINK before you post.

So should you. Name the place and time and I love to compare DD-214.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    There is a certain mindset that goes along with combat arms training and experience. Just because you were a TOC jockey next to the Battalion Commander and got a bronze star with the rest of the staff, doesn't mean you know what you're talking about. Yes, we love to call for fire. And higher likes to deny it as well. Someone who has done it can relate the physiological effects of adrenaline dump, etc., as well as how much it sucks after the fact to have taken human life. Is there an unrealistic hero worship for vets? Sometimes yes, but the experience does mean something. And just because you know, doesn't make you a good trainer. But a good NCO has just that sort of experience as well. It's a big part of our job. Heaven knows privates don't learn anything in basic anymore.

dcombs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2014
    Alexandria
    A couple names on the "Black Wall" memorial are friends, long gone but still remembered. Not supporting any scumbag's 'stolen valor'. It's despicable, and deserving of jail time so they can 'think about those who earned it'. Five years would be about right.

Too many worked too hard, and some gave everything to earn it.

another well put phrase, I gave 15 USAF and I think 5 years for them to think about it is letting them off the hook

dcombs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2014
    Alexandria
    Yeah that about sums it up. Retired MSgt USMC here. A friend was helping me find something one day. He opened the draw in my filing cabinet with my Military stuff. He asked me why I didn't have it all on a wall. I said a love me wall? That stuff only really means something to me and the people I served with. That about sums it up.

HOW true***, I have a box in a closest of attic somewhere. And that stuff only means something to me and those I served with.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Okay, this is for someone who has taken his class. I certainly do not appreciate what Cory did and do not support it. But, is he a good instructor?

Can you be a good teacher if you lie about where you learned you stuff? Students will have to stake their lives on your claim. "When I was a Navy SEAL, they taught us to rack the pistol twice before shooting because that's combat tested!" Sure, someone can be effective at instruction, but being a good teacher means students can rely on the stuff you teach them. How can they trust you if you lie?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Wow man there is nothing wrong with having some pride in your service. I see guys over at the VA hospital all the time that tell me "I never thought I would end up here". They worked all their lives and poof, one day the company is gone, their retirement is gone along with their health insurance. So they end up at the VA. And then they buy a hat to show who actually cares about them. Is that so wrong? I did a career in the USMC and I am proud of it. I wear a hat with USMC on. Nobody is taking away my feeling of pride of what I accomplished. And I wont rain on anyone else s parade. If a guy served a little and got an honorable discharge or served a lot or even gave all, he deserves some respect for what he did.

You develop a BS meter. Setting around in the waiting room I have found the guys talking the most did the least. If I get tired of listening to it I just tell them I'm a retired MSgt and they usually STFU. No big deal, for some guys their service is all they got left. There are more important things to complain about, like the liberals destroying the country or the rampant Islamic terrorism world wide.

IMO opinion, career guys like yourself are a bit different than your average veteran. Unlike most vets, your life literally was the military. Kinda like UAW guys who seem to have endless amounts of clothing with the logo emblazoned on it. My dad was career Army, drafted from a small town in Alabama, vet of Vietnam and Desert Storm I. Outside of sticks, mud, and peanuts all he knows is Army. He rarely talks about his service, not because he won't, but because no one ever asks. He keeps a low profile.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    That is true. From the mouths of babes.

Any one who served is a veteran in my eyes. Logistics/supply/transport/ground crews/motor pool.....it does not matter. With out any of those the big show grinds to a stop. If you put in your time, stand tall.

I agree It doesn't matter if you served during peace time or war. No matter what you were always ready to defend this nation in a heartbeat.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    You are not the type I've been speaking of.

I ride a Harley. I had countless t shirts that I wore before and after I got mine. Then I started paying attention to the bikes and their riders. If I saw a Harley in a restaurant parking lot, 99% of the time, I could pick the owner out within seconds of walking in. Theyve got the shirts, the doo rags, the whole 9 yards. It's become the same with veteran status. Plates, bumper stickers, flags, hats, shirts, jackets, the whole 9 yards. Why do some think that every single person to ever grace their presence must know they were a veteran if they aren't looking to get something out of it?

Told my wife while we were walking through Arlington that I don't want to be buried there. Probably don't qualify but wouldn't want to if I did. I don't want a military burial or a 21 gun salute. I turned down a military burial for my father who joined the guard to avoid Vietnam. I feel there are more important things people can be doing than standing over MY bag of bones.

I'm not ashamed to admit I plug my branch of service on my car or on my head. Though I don't go around expecting to get military or vet discounts because of my service. Or try to force myself into someones conversation, and boast about being a vet or the things I seen or did.

I'm not sure about the other branches but I've had other Marines come up and strike up a conversation. Majority of them older Marines, but when it happens it was like we've known each for years. When I was in college I kept a low profile because majority of the kids would ask stupid questions, but was more than happy to talk to those who had legitimate questions.

I've had some younger folks come up while out and about and ask only because they were interested in joining. I find it a good way for them to hear what the military is really like instead of the recruiters sugar coating it so they can meet a quota. It also is an opportunity to tell them about the benefits they can and should use when they do get out so they can continue to better their lives.

Top Bottom