• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    Go figure... doesn't change the fact it NEEDS appealing. They just aren't going to let it.

I'm not much of an OCer, but it sounds like it is time to take a trip up there and leave the IWB holster at home.

SmokinSigs357

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    The Town of Highland has similar signs posted on the bikepaths that pass through town:

DSC05848_zps5f819c6f.jpg

I recently sent this pic to Guy Relford and asked him about it. He told me that there was a recent Court of Appeals case in Hammond, which ruled that putting signs up like this isn't illegal as long as they don't enforce it against anyone. The sign is legal, but you are also legal to carry in the park. I ride my bike through Wicker Park very frequently, as well as on the bike paths in Highland. So far I have had no issues, but I think I read a post here recently about one of our members who was hassled about his OC at a park in Highland (might have been Optimist Park).

Funny thing is, the guy who works for the Parks Dept who puts up those signs is an FFL! :) Owns a little shop in Lowell.... Optimist Park is in Hammond off of Columbia and River Dr. I can see some Hammond Po Po giving a hard time. I know most of the Highland Po Po and they are pretty good with folks...

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Funny thing is, the guy who works for the Parks Dept who puts up those signs is an FFL! :) Owns a little shop in Lowell.... Optimist Park is in Hammond off of Columbia and River Dr. I can see some Hammond Po Po giving a hard time. I know most of the Highland Po Po and they are pretty good with folks...

EDIT.... Optimist Park is located at Kennedy and 80/94 (SW corner of Kennedy Ave interchange, behind John Dillinger Museum). I was thinking that this park was located in Highland since it's south of 80/94, but it's actually in Hammond as it's on the north side of the Little Calumet river. The park at Columbia and River Drive on the west side of Columbia is Riverside Park. The little league fields on the east side of Columbia at River Drive - must be the one you are referring to - is the Hammond Optimist Club Sports Complex.

Good to hear some positive feedback on the Highland PD. I've never had a negative experience with them.

Every time I read that sign I almost have to laugh, no wonder they needed such a huge sign! "Molesting Wildlife"???? Are you serious??? Must be some strange folks making the rules in Highland. :scratch: Where's my da-aa-aa-aa-aa-dy??? :sheep:

They have outlawed so many things, its hard to imagine anything that one CAN do while in the park. :laugh:

Last edited:

aikidoka

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    Hammond
    Perhaps I'll walk Wicker park again on the weekend and OC this time. Digital recorder will be running of course if I do. Need more pockets lol

Keeping those signs is ridiculous. I wonder if LEO will try and bs the issue by noting what the sign says.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Just contacted Highland PD informed me CC is illegal in all Highland Parks.

Next time ask them to state the law or ordnance.
    Then, maybe bring up to them that the STATE of INDIANA has preemption, and that towns/cities/counties can not make up their own rules on firearms.

Top Bottom