• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    And the anecdotal evidence from my wife that about 80% of the patients in intensive care are there from complications of weight/smoking/addiction.

In the casual observations of your wife being a IC nurse, what is her job title?

The reason I ask this is that while there are problems that involve weight, smoking and addiction, in my years on this earth every person I have ever know to have ever be in an IC unit have not fallen into one of the above three categories.

Given the wrong observation even a 5'5" 135 pound 16 year old girl or a 5'7" 165 pound boy can be labeled as obese.

kwatters

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    BMI is BS!!!!!!

I'm 38, 6'2" 235lbs. My BMI is 30.2 which is Obese. Panic time!!!!! However, my actual body fat is around 13%, about 205lbs of muscle and 30lbs of fat...FAR from obese. In actually I have an athletic build. BMI is trash.

you are an exception to the bmi rule as is anyone who is athletic built or muscular.

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    That has nothing to do with Obamacare...

It has everything to do with actuarial science and money-making (which is what an insurance company wants to do - make money)

They all want to maximize their profit whilst minimizing their risk. Just like any other business.

And personally, I don't have a problem with the majority of it. I think that those who cost the business more should have to pay more.

-J-

It shouldn't be tied to your work in the first place, if it was in the citizens hands the price would drop and create more competition. If it is such a great idea for health insurance wouldn't it be great if they took care of homeowners, renters, auto, fire, flood. Can't you just imagine government auto insurance plans?

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    And personally, I don't have a problem with the majority of it. I think that those who cost the business more should have to pay more.

-J-

My wife is an intensive care nurse. People who smoke and and are overweight SHOULD be paying more for health care. They should charge by the pack and pound.

The drunk driver should pay more for car insurance.

Insurance discriminates, as it should.

So what are you going to do when they start asking if you own firearms? Cause we all know anyone with a firearm is going to have a ND.

Or is that when you will start *****ing about the insurance companys asking questions that are none of their business? I pay for my insurance I should be able to eat what I want, smoke if I want, drink if I want.
    It's no different than your kids Doctor asking if there are guns in the home.. IT'S NON OF THEIR BUSINESS

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    So what are you going to do when they start asking if you own firearms? Cause we all know anyone with a firearm is going to have a ND.

Or is that when you will start *****ing about the insurance companys asking questions that are none of their business? I pay for my insurance I should be able to eat what I want, smoke if I want, drink if I want.
    It's no different than your kids Doctor asking if there are guns in the home.. IT'S NON OF THEIR BUSINESS

So you're entitled to their service and only on your terms?

.40caltrucker

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010

Well you can and it should cost you more for doing it. Why is it that every other insurance is allowed to use actuarial tables EXCEPT health insurance?

That's kind of like saying you live in a flood plain that floods twice every year yet you shouldn't pay more for homeowners insurance then the home on top of the mountain. If you don't want to pay more then build on top of the mountain next time. Don't stay at the bottom whining about how McDonalds made you fat and it's not your fault you built in a flood plain.:twocents:

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    I don't know if anyone else has experienced this lately, but the latest insurance that my wife's workplace has adopted has tried to impose a number of intrusive obligations on us as a condition of coverage. Among these: give them our complete medical history, agree to undertake all suggested medical testing and innoculations or be penalized monetarily, submit to medical screening and counseling about lifestyle and dietary choices. After a couple months of agonizing over it, my wife went into HR today and told them to drop us from the insurance; we're not putting up with such intrusions into our lives.

Anybody else getting Obamacare'd early?

Yes. This seems to be the trend. But I don't thing it has anything to do with Obama.
    I think we can get use to this.

As a health care professional, I'll say I think people SHOULD be paying more if they choose to smoke, and do other things that jeopardize their health.

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    But seriously, Hickman.

all kidding aside, I know I need to get my weight back under control. <snip>
    Man, you've GOT to do something about your weight ... from a lazy-ass ex-G.I. as they get. I know it can be done. We need you here, and it's CRAPPY to have to just sit here and watch you feed yourself to death!! Go for help if necesso. We need your kind on INGUN.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    In the casual observations of your wife being a IC nurse, what is her job title?

The reason I ask this is that while there are problems that involve weight, smoking and addiction, in my years on this earth every person I have ever know to have ever be in an IC unit have not fallen into one of the above three categories.

Given the wrong observation even a 5'5" 135 pound 16 year old girl or a 5'7" 165 pound boy can be labeled as obese.

She is an RN. Going on 16 yrs in the ICU.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    it's a choice. my husband's work has a plan that gives you discounts for being nicotine-free, blood sugar, blood pressure and cholesterol at acceptable levels, along with weight and BMI. even then, if you fail, you can still get the discount by taking measures to improve, and talking with your health coach.
    As for owning firearms, it's a choice, and up to us to minimize the risk. I know as a motorcyclist, we have gotten discounts on our auto insurance for taking safety courses. why not the same for guns?
    I don't think we should have to pay the same as someone who deliberately jeopardizes their health. if you want to weigh 300 lbs, smoke, etc., fine, that's your choice, but you pay for it- not me!

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Well you can and it should cost you more for doing it. Why is it that every other insurance is allowed to use actuarial tables EXCEPT health insurance?

That's kind of like saying you live in a flood plain that floods twice every year yet you shouldn't pay more for homeowners insurance then the home on top of the mountain. If you don't want to pay more then build on top of the mountain next time. Don't stay at the bottom whining about how McDonalds made you fat and it's not your fault you built in a flood plain.:twocents:

Interesting that you compare it to flood insurance, which can only be purchased from .gov and not on the open market.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I have chosen a deductible over $5000. I pay all the small stuff for the family and myself out of pocket. We are healthy. The money I save is set aside for when we need it.
    A few years ago I had the same insurance but my family deductible was 7k. We are a healthy family but a month after the new insurance went into effect, my 4yr old daughter needed her tonsils out. Well there was about $100 in the HSA. I had to pull about 5k from a home equity loan to cover the bill...and that was at a discount. Here I am with insurance and I was scrambling to find the cash to pay my medical bills. It went to collections by the time I was able to get the funds but I was barely able to prevent it from showing up on my credit. I am still paying that off several years later. We have since ditched the CRAPPY city insurance offerings and now have insurance through IUPUI...MUCH BETTER.

bullet293

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    OMOKOK
    That has nothing to do with Obamacare...

It has everything to do with actuarial science and money-making (which is what an insurance company wants to do - make money)

They all want to. Just like any other business.

-J-
    if thats the case should you show grocery receipts to show how much sodium, sugar, preservatives, corn syrup, processed foods you and your family eat? should you pay more if you or your children play sports? tennis elbow, payton's neck, did ali take two many shots to the head? what if you shoot guns, reload ammo? lead is bad and ill bet gun powder has been shown to cause cancer in cali should you pay more? if you climb into trees each fall to hunt deer you could fall and get hurt and that wouldn't be fair to the guy who pays the same premium as you who doesn't. should the sun worshipers or the guy who works outside in the summer pay more because his or her chance of skin cancer pay more? what about the people who sit in front of their computers for hours? vision insurance isn't free and i hear there is a chance for blood clots so people that have internet should pay more than those who don't? should white and black people pay defferent amounts because their odds of getting sick with something is different? what if my house is old and might have lead paint on the walls or some asbestos in the insulation? should the insurance company come to inspect it so they know how much i might cost them? you see where this goes, do the insurance companies have the right to know all things about us to "maximize their profit whilst minimizing their risk"?

sbsg2005

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2011
    I don't really mind paying higher rates cause I am a over weight smoker, chewer, and drinker. But where I draw the line is when a blood test/physical for me and my wife is required by my employer to have any kind of insurance through them. If we both do not complete the annual physical and blood test we are not eligible for coverage and neither are our children. As soon as they started this I dropped them and we switched to my wife's employers coverage. While they do offer discounts for getting the annual physical it is not a requirement, and they don't ask that the spouse participate.

EnochRoot43

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 14, 2010
    Anderson
    When I was a teenager, I would hit any and all "guess your weight booths" at fairs, amusement parks, you name it. They would guess within a 1/4lb on most people, then I would walk up and they would guess 14lbs UNDER on me. I WIN!

the%2Bjerk%2Bmovie.jpg

Anything below the stereo and on this side of the bicentennial glasses. Anything between the ashtrays and the thimble. Anything in this three inches right in here in this area. That includes the Chiclets, but not the erasers.

CA expat

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2012
    I am in the health care profession...or should I say business. It makes me sick how much it has become a business instead of focusing on the CARE aspect. There are ways to get people to lead healthier lives, while respecting their freedoms, that don't require that we threaten them...they just are harder to enforce.

That said.
    a) SockMonkey - "But for some people who are overweight, it is not because of lifestyle choices or anything they have or haven't done that caused them to be overweight." over 90% (a very low estimate)of obesity cases are directly related to lifestyle choices. If most overweight people exercised more and more effectively, stopped eating garbage, drinking alcohol (i like a good drink, but it is a huge source of empty calories), then they would not be obese. Same goes for most cases of type II diabetes and some cases of hypertension. As far as equating predisposition to being over weight to predisposition to cancer, that is a commonly used talking point, but a heartless one. Obesity, whether predisposed or not, is often is due to emotional/psychological disturbances or a lack of discipline (not that those two are mutually exclusive). If you start gaining weight, work out more and change your diet and you will likely not gain more weight. A person who is predisposed to cancer is constantly bombarded by carcinogens in the environment (unknowingly), and doesn't have an easy everyday indicator that they are growing tumors. For increased weight, on the other hand, nobody is forcing you to take in more calories (with or without your knowledge) and you can always get on a simple scale or be cognisant of changing pant size which ac as an easy indicator that you are becomming horizontally endowed. The person predisposed to cancer may never know that they are predisposed until it is too late (they don't sell DNA tests at the local CVS...yet).

b)As i said before our system is broken, but because of what I wrote above, I have to agree with Sailor who said "People who smoke and and are overweight SHOULD be paying more for health care" .

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    BTW a point often overlooked is that insurance was intended to spread the individual risk over many so that it would be affordable to everyone. A concept that has been slowly eroded over the years for the purpose of fattening Insurance executive payouts and stock prices. Thanks to all the advances in actuarial science and medical technology.

lumpy39us

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Insurance is a business, let me run it and I can find many more ways to increase the profits!
    Meanwhile lets ignore the fact that many foods and processes are now controlled by big business, cutting corners for the almighty buck. USDA and FDA anyone, they are making sure that all processes are safe for consumption, After all they demand that the processor supply them with lab testing and analysis.
    Profit first!
    Oh and don't forget the illegals getting the free health care, your premiums will rise for their care also. Have to maintain the profits somehow.
    Remember they are illegal, Jose today Sanchez tomorrow.
    I guess I'll post this, lol.

eatsnopaste

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    South Bend
    BMI is BS!!!!!!

I'm 38, 6'2" 235lbs. My BMI is 30.2 which is Obese. Panic time!!!!! However, my actual body fat is around 13%, about 205lbs of muscle and 30lbs of fat...FAR from obese. In actually I have an athletic build. BMI is trash.

ohhhh...say it again...only slower....

Top Bottom