• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    Where do I go from here? The easy part is the ltch. While I have familiarized her with both types of long guns and pistols we have. She feels the Glock 19 and the Baretta Nano are both too big for her to use as an edc. While trying to stay within my ammo planning, I would like to stay in 9mm. Is there a smallish single stack 9 that most women prefer? Should I go with a 380? I guess we will have to let her handle a few and see what she likes. Any recommendations would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    You need to get her a lot more guns to try. Find out what she likes and then buy... I think that will be the general consensus you will get here. Small guns are great but they also don't shoot as well as larger guns. Remember, the smaller the pistol the greater the recoil.

With Christmas coming up you could even purchase her some training.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    If the "thickness" of the handgun is an issue, have her take a look at the G43.

Stays within your ammo planning, and the manual of arms is the same as your G19.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Female handgun selection...is completely up to her! I've both purchased pistols/revolvers for my wife and she's selected her own over the years...and the one's she still has are the one's she selected herself! Not knockin' your knowledge...it just seems to work best if she gets to make her choice. I've guided my wife...answered her questions...made suggestions, etc....but in the end, she makes the choice/decision and everyone is happy!

For example, she selected her own Springfield XDm 3.8 9mm as a gift for our 10th anniversary...and she also liked the Sig Sauer P230 I found + showed/recommended to her for a pocket .380 (she wanted a .380 acp pocket pistol) as the grip fits her long-fingered, narrow hand quite well...for our 11th Anniversary (an 'extra' gift to her when she wanted one!)

At one time I picked-up a Gen II Glock 19 for her (she didn't like the finger-bumps on any pistol she tried), which she carried for nearly 3 years until she wanted her own...and choose the Springfield (the Glock is in my name so I got to keep that one for myself)...we added the Sig P230 and wa-la...happiness rules!

Bottom line is...'ownership' matters and when a person feels like they are being treated with respect to their decision-making skills (enough information given/provided) they will take 'ownership' of the item and respond better to it! Showing respect first matters!

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Oddly, my wife prefers a G17. However, she cannot reliably work the slide. So... I got her a P238 w/extended mag. She got used to it and likes it ok (and can operate it fully)
    As far as "fit" even though she as a thing for the G17, she likes the P238, the G42, and the Shield 9mm. The P238 is by FAR the easiest for her to operate. Take that into consideration. Holding & shooting it is one thing, operating it is another. I don't think she has shot the Sig 230 I have ...

trgore

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2013
    South West Indy
    Female handgun selection...is completely up to her! I've both purchased pistols/revolvers for my wife and she's selected her own over the years...and the one's she still has are the one's she selected herself! Not knockin' your knowledge...it just seems to work best if she gets to make her choice. I've guided my wife...answered her questions...made suggestions, etc....but in the end, she makes the choice/decision and everyone is happy!

For example, she selected her own Springfield XDm 3.8 9mm as a gift for our 10th anniversary...and she also liked the Sig Sauer P230 I found + showed/recommended to her for a pocket .380 (she wanted a .380 acp pocket pistol) as the grip fits her long-fingered, narrow hand quite well...for our 11th Anniversary (an 'extra' gift to her when she wanted one!)

At one time I picked-up a Gen II Glock 19 for her (she didn't like the finger-bumps on any pistol she tried), which she carried for nearly 3 years until she wanted her own...and choose the Springfield (the Glock is in my name so I got to keep that one for myself)...we added the Sig P230 and wa-la...happiness rules!

Bottom line is...'ownership' matters and when a person feels like they are being treated with respect to their decision-making skills (enough information given/provided) they will take 'ownership' of the item and respond better to it! Showing respect first matters!

GREAT ADVICE! I just went thru this with my wife. I enrolled her in an introductory handgun class. She was able to shoot a few that night. She decided to get the Ruger LC9S. She tells me last night while eating dinner "We have to go shooting this weekend"

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    My wife got her LTCH just after we got married. I took her to an NRA basic handgun course. She actually did very well at the range, and we have gone shooting together a few times (I need to take her more often) since then. She still won't carry, she doesn't feel confident enough to actually carry any where but the range. But we're working on that.

Gun Daddy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2016
    Fort Wayne
    My wife was in the same boat a few years back. Save yourself future arguments and get a third party involved. Take her to a range and see if they will let you rent a gun or several guns. Let her shoot a few different types as this will help her narrow the choices down. Next I would arrange to have her take a lesson or two with a certified handgun instructor. This will let her learn to shoot on her terms and do it with confidence. If your wife is anything like mine, they don't like to take instructions from their husband, hence let someone else (qualified) do that for you :-)

As for guns to consider I would take a look at the following:

Bersa BP9 Concealed Carry 9mm 3.3"

Smith & Wesson SD9 VE 9mm

Sig Sauer P320 Sub Compact 9mm

Other good options are the Springfield XDS (3.8" 9mm) and M&P Shield 9mm. Oh and lets not forget the Glock 43 9mm.
    I have seen all of these guns sell and they are good selling guns. Again, I would recommend that you get as many guns in her hand before settling.
    I hope this helps and good luck!

blacknwhite

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2016
    southwest
    I agree that she need to shoot as many guns as possible over a period of time unless money is not that important. I only say this because you want to be certain she is comfortable with what she ends up with. something she will carry every day long term. get her hands on as many guns as possible.

Top Bottom