• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rcdouble2

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2012
    Looking for some insight here, ease of operation, light weight and duribility?
    What are some good models to start looking at?

rightwinger

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 10, 2012
    Mother Indiana
    Smith and Wesson 38special is always a favorite, i bought my better half a ruger LCP she loves the weight and accuracy but she said she doesnt care for the trigger pull that much. it being single action only makes it a heavy long pull, i contemplated on buying a revolver for her and now i kinda wish i did. so if i had to suggest one it would be a smith and wesson 38

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    Mrs GGF loves her S&W 442. Has a bit of a strong recoil for a 38, but she's OK with it.

Best thing to do is take her to a shop and let her coonfinger a bunch of them to see which one(s) best fits her hand. It will also be recommended that she go to a range where they rent various handguns and let her try them for herself. Heck, in many cases fellow INGOer's will let her try theirs. If you live close to Martinsville, I'm sure the Mrs wouldn't mind your wife taking her 442 for a spin.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Any gun is easy to operate with enough training (including semi-autos), most of them are light weight and durable, so that doesn't tell us much.
    Is it going to be a gun that she will carry? OC or CC?
    Is it going to be a home defense gun only?
    A gun just for the range?
    To hunt bears?
    For plinking in the backyard with a silencer?
    Any idea on caliber?
    What's your budget? More like $300 or $2000
    Does she have any experience with guns already?
    Have you taken her to the range to try a few rental guns to see what she might like?

I would not look at revolvers only, just because she's a woman, yes revolvers are a bit easier to operate than semi-autos but women are not stupid and they can understand how to use a semi-auto.
    Unless she's very old she will be able to rack the slide just like a man.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    I would not look at revolvers only, just because she's a woman, yes revolvers are a bit easier to operate than semi-autos but women are not stupid and they can understand how to use a semi-auto.
    Unless she's very old she will be able to rack the slide just like a man.

Agreed! But age has nothing to do with racking the slide like a man. (did you forget purple again Bro?) Where Mrs GGF was concerned, racking the slide was an issue. She started with a lightweight Taurus just like the S&W she has now, saw a Bersa Thunder Plus 380 that she "really liked" so we traded it in. 6 months later we are headed to the 1500 and she said, "I want a revolver back" Soooo.... we sold a brand new 380 and put her back into a revolver because she had trouble racking the slide.

Again, I would suggest the OP go to an LGS, look at everything and ask lots of questions. Hopefully, they will be honest with her in their answers. THEN let her try out a variety of guns to see which she likes most.

rightwinger

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 10, 2012
    Mother Indiana
    Unless she's very old she will be able to rack the slide just like a man.[/QUOTE]

I agree to disagree the only reason i recommend revolvers is the ease of operation for a first gun to own, my better half being 21 years old is far from being "very old" and she has difficulty racking the slide and dealing with the heavy trigger pull im just throwing in my 2 cents i dont mean to offend any women

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    As far as revolvers go I really like my Ruger SP101 357 Mag. It is heavier than other similar sized J frames, 25 ozs, but I really think that helps cut down on recoil. I have shot a Taurus featherweight 38 special and hated it. It bit me. My heavier Sp101 feels smooth.

The trigger pull on this gun is super easy & I bought the gun new so it must be a factory thing. This is my carry gun when I carry. Although I am petite and this gun is a little on the heavy side, I don't even notice it in my waist band when I am out & about.

I have purchased various holsters and belts to use to support the gun and conceal it better. I haven't had a chance to try out my new accessories but am looking forward to it.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I agree to disagree the only reason i recommend revolvers is the ease of operation for a first gun to own, my better half being 21 years old is far from being "very old" and she has difficulty racking the slide and dealing with the heavy trigger pull im just throwing in my 2 cents i dont mean to offend any women

Maybe some people have trouble with racking the slide and such but I dont believe it's a gender issue.
    Many woman including some on this forum carry guns, such as 1911s, without any problem.They know how to use them, probably better than some men.
    I just dont think that because a woman wants a gun we should right away tell her to get a little revolver.
    I believe it's more about training, you can learn to rack the slide of a gun even if you are not very strong.Like pushing on the handle with one hand and pulling on the slide with the other and things like that.
    Also maybe it requires more training to master a semi auto than it does with a revolver.That's true both for men and women.
    I think we are not helping women by telling them to stick to revolvers.
    Maybe there are some exceptions but I think women are just as capable as women when it comes to using any type of guns.
    Just look at all the women in the military or in law enforcement, they dont have special guns made just for their delicate hands.
    Im not a woman but I would be offended if my boyfriend or husband got me a revolver as my first gun, unless it's what I wanted, for the only reason that's it's easier for women to use.
    I was watching a video from James Yeager the other day, he was saying that women can drive while applying makeup and talking on their cellphone, so they are more than smart enough to understand how to use a semi-auto pistol.
    I think that's very true.
    Also why would you let your lady carry only a 6 shots revolver when she could carry a 15+ shot semi-auto? :dunno:
    I want to give my lady the best tool for the job, if that means she needs more training to master it then so be it.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Some guns (especially smaller ones, like the LCP for example) are hard to manipulate easily. In a stressful situation I can grab a handful of slide and rack it hard, but if I'm trying to pull the slide back gingerly to inspect the inner workings of the chamber area with just a thumb and index finger, it's not so easy. And I'm a younger(ish) strong(ish) tough(ish) guy..

One of the tricky things about smaller firearms - if they were fantastic at everything, we'd have no more fullsize firearms, right? Unfortunately, they're just not..

FWIW, my wife hates revolvers - hates anything that we'd call subcompact or pocketable or anything of the type, for that matter. If it doesn't fit well in her whole hand, she's not interested. She's never shot a single action revolver but I don't think her opinion would change.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I think we think "revolver" because there is no easier to use firearm. It has nothing to do with the internal plumbing of the shooter. However, it is usually women who are apprehensive about shooting something with the potential to kill, and the elimination of the myriad ways to screw up makes toting that thing around a little more palatable.

I often suggest revolvers as first shooting experience because of their simplicity. But I don't think they are great EDCs for novice shooters. Double action shots are rarely practiced, but that's what they'd most likely be in a self defense situation. (On the other hand, there are no manipulations required to make it fire immediately either, which makes them lightyears ahead of others IMO.)

Ease of operation: revolver (hammerless eliminates the cheat factor), Glock

Lightweight: lightweight/small framed revolvers, pocket pistols in mouse calibers

Durability: just about any respected manufacturer is going to be good enough in this category

More importantly, what is your wife going to do with it? Is she going to keep it in the nightstand at home, carry it on her, tote it in a purse (don't start, gentleman)? Is it for plinking fun at the range? Does she have a preference for revolvers or autoloaders? Is she wanting to take first place at a shooting competition? What's her experience with firearms? If she's joined you at the range, what has she liked (and why) and what has she disliked (and why)?

You might as well be asking us what L'Oreal color she should use if she wants to color her hair. :D You'll get a lot of suggestions, but you'll be getting recommendations on what people like, not on what would look good on your wife or what she likes.

SmartAsh25

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2012
    Portage
    Definatly do not look at revovlers cause its "easier" to operate. Us women are not dumb we CAN operate semi-auto pistols. plus semi-autos offer alot more rounds, which is a major plus!

you definatly want to look for a gun thatll be small enough to conceal with a good ammount of firepower:)

check out the glock 26 (<with extended mags or pinky extension) or the glock 19, both are 9mm. Glock is dependable easy to operate and you can always find glock gear...everywere. my best advice is to have her go to a gun shop with you and hold mutiple different guns and see if anything stands out to her...cause after all shes the one carrying it:)

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I say let your wife decide. If she doesn't have enough knowledge or information to decide on her own at this point, help her get the knowledge and information she needs.

What is her experience level with handguns?
    What is she going to do with the gun?
    Is she comfortable on the range?
    How is her gun handling and safety knowledge and practices?
    Is she self sufficient on the range? (Would she feel comfortable if left with the gun and some ammo on the shooting bench and no further instructions?)
    Does she have any training?

Here are my thoughts:

1. Get her to the range as much as possible and get her putting rounds down range. Once she has enough trigger time to be comfortable and consistent operating a handgun, she will have a much better idea what she does and does not like.

2. After she is comfortable in shooting in general, get as many different handguns in her hand as possible. Let her experience different action types, cartridges, frame sizes, etc. Most of the guns from the bigger name, reputable manufacturers will be of adequate quality. Let her see what works for her.

3. Depending on her experience level, consider an NRA Basic Pistol (or similar) course. These courses offer a good, structured introduction in to the most basic concepts and skills around pistol shooting. Most of them do not require you to bring your own pistol. Find one where the instructor will be providing a variety of pistols for students to try out. Many instructors will bring 10 or 15 different guns to the class for students to experience.

4. As previously suggested, take her to the gun store and let her fondle all kinds of guns. Don't push her in any particular direction but answer questions objectively.

5. Be patient. Let her make the decision.

6. Realize going in that the first gun she buys will probably not be the gun she uses forever. As we become more experienced as shooters and branch out in to other things, our needs and preferences change. You aren't buying her a diamond. Just one tool on the road to becomming proficient at defending herself (or whatever she wants the gun for).

Tim Enyeart

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Marion
    Today I'm buying my wife a Walther P22. I use a H&K .45 and a Bodyguard .380 and they both scare her. I'm hoping the light sound and recoil will make it a positive experience to get her on the range more. It will also make a good first time to shoot choice for grandchildren.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I would let your wife decide, but also I see a lot of women struggle with revolvers and their trigger pull. It happens all the time where men and gun dealers suggest a .38 so the hubby buys one, and then when they get to the range the wife either cannot pull the trigger at all or cannot pull it and keep it stable enough for accurate shots. Just beware of the triggers and her strength. Let her try as much as possible before you buy. Just because they think it feels good doesn't mean they like the way it shoots.

Trav43

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2012
    Northern Shelby county
    Well my .02 on this is, if it is truly a life or death situation, I would not want to be thinking did I rack it??? The revolver brings point and click peace of mind. I would rather keep my concentration on the BG.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Yes, please let your wife decide. Enrolling her in a class (and maybe make a date of it) so she can try some different types and calibers will help.

It took me much longer to gain proficiency with a double-action revolver than with a semi-auto pistol. I find this to be the case with most new shooters, and snub-nose revolvers being the hardest to master - and this is the de facto recommendation for people recommending guns to women.

That said I love my SP101.

vork08

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    NWI
    My thoughts, range time, range time, range time. Try to find a group(INGO meet and shoots) to attend. Arrange one on your own. Have her fire several different handguns.

My wife, after years of sporatic range time(another long story) also wanted a handgun.
    Last year went with a small group to the range, and after firing half a dozen different types, she picked up a Walther PK380. One mag later she said she wanted that gun. 2 months later, went to range again, different bunch same scenario, with her new 380. She fired a Ruger SR9 and decided it was a must have.
    Her first gun lasted 2 mo. and one trip to the range. Now she's eyeing my XDm.

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    I agree that she will want range time, range time, range time. What is best for her will change over time as well as how she wants to carry. I refuse to carry in my purse ~ it will always be on my person rather than in a bag I have to dig thru or can get snatched by a BG.

My Ruger LCP is for an ankle holster when nothing else works. I'm not crazy about it's small size but it is easily concealable. My IWB holster carries my M&P 9c which is my preferred option...shorter barrel so it's easily concealable in a caliber I'm very comfortable with and hardly any kick. I am currently shopping Berettas simply because my husband won't let me take his. Super easy to shoot and very accurate. Don't know what to tell you about the slide concerns, I've never had any trouble racking the slide on any weapon and I am a 5'4' girly girl.

It's a very personal decision on what she chooses and how it will be carried or used. I agree with a lot of people on this thread ~ take her to the range and get your top 5 picks in her hand (you know her best but LISTEN to her fears or concerns). Just remember that when/if she ever has to use it she will likely be shaking and moving quickly so she needs enough practice to develop the muscle memory to use it on "auto pilot".

Top Bottom