• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rotortech

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Yesterday, my friend Mark and I went to the Wilbur Wright Fish and Wildlife Area to sight in his AR-15 (Rock River Arms Carbine 5.56). Brand new weapon, iron sights, yada, yada, yada.

First of all the weather was perfect. After a week of cold and rain the sun came out and the wind died completely.

Second, the facility was very nice. They have a 25 yd pistol range and a 50 yd rifle range. In addition, there is a shotgun range with a clay pidgeon launcher. I need to go back for that.

Third and most important is the Range Master, Mike. What a great guy! We were fumbling around with targets and stuff and looking generally lost. He came over and helped us through the whole process. It was a one hour drive each way for us but worth every mile.

Here is a picture of Mark on the left and Mike on the right. They are making an adjustment to the front sight. You can see the target at 50 yds in the background. Can you see that rifle rest? The RM brought that out when Mark was getting a bit of scatter in his groups. He let us use it until we were finished. How great is that?

WilberWrightRange.jpg

We got the rifle dialed in with Mike's help. I took a few shots and had a 2-1/2" group. I thought that was real good since I never shot with peep sights before. Afterwards we stepped over to the pistol range and did some target practice with the handguns.

Great day at the range. If you haven't tried the range at Wilbur Wright your are missing a great place to shoot. If you go, look for Mike and tell him hello.

2500ekW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Zionsville
    I've never had more guns pointed at me than during the 2 hours I spent there. If the place had a little more discipline, I'd go back.

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    ive only been there for bowfishing on the big blue and some yote hunting, never been to their range, doesnt look too bad

rotortech

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I've never had more guns pointed at me than during the 2 hours I spent there. If the place had a little more discipline, I'd go back.

I have to agree. The range wasn't crowded so things did not get out of hand. However, there was not a good, consistent method of calling for clear or hot range. Other shooters would answer either call with a thumbs up. I kept asking until they said "Yes, I am clear here". They might have thought I was a moron but that is what I needed to do.

So, when you visit, please help by trying to establish some good range techniques. You experienced shooters can be a big help at a range like this. I think Mike will take all the help he can get.

gohard43

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    Northside Indy
    When I was at BSU i used to go to WW almost weekly, never had a bad experience!! It's nice not having to pay to shoot! I've also never had to wait to shoot either :D

speednut

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    last time i was there, this family of yokels had their infant son on the hot line.

I was there one day and some idiot family had a 3 year old kid walking around with a plastic gun. Scared the crap out of me. I thought he picked up his Dad's glock for a minute.
    You gotta watch out for the hillbillies for sure! :dunno:

Harry2110

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Was the one weird creeper still there he wouldnt leave my friend alone till he said he was gay then the guy left in a hurry. WW is the only range I have been to and i like it for being free. It seems they have switch RM since I was there last.

jcharrison05

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 13, 2011
    Richmond
    This is an alright range when not filled with rednecks what scared me is the amount of holes all over the place. Like an accidental discharge is common or something. But I've never had any problems when I've been there. The RM are pretty helpful when needed also.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    The bullet holes in the wooden rifle stands seperating the shooting bench lanes always puzzle me:dunno:, but other than that I like the place when its not crowded.

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    The last time I was there a friend and I were constantly being harassed by the range officer. Not sure if it was the same guy the OP mentioned. But when we went the minute we walked up to fill out the cards to shoot, he informed my friend to lock the bolt back on his 91/30. He then proceeded to watch as like a hawk while he were shooting.

Later on my friend went down range to check the targets and I was adjusting the rear sight on my rifle with my back facing the targets and having my rifle's muzzle pointed up to the sky after to make sure it was unloaded. Then the R/O came up to me in a disgruntled tone saying to unload my gun, I informed him it was unloaded. He then told me to take out the magazine. I complied, he then said to check the bolt, again I complied. He then told me it was against the rules to mess with any gun while someone was down range and sit it on the rifle rack.

At this point I was getting frustrated by his tone and I started to get the feeling he was being somewhat judgmental of my friend and I because we were younger then the other shooters there.

Oh and also for what it's worth right before we left we saw a few guys showing up with bolt action rifles with their bolts locked and loaded and the R/O said nothing to them as they filled out the cards and while my friend was down range one of them was setting up their stuff on one of the benches and proceeded to load his mags and mess with the action on his AR15 while it was pointed in the direction of the targets. Again the R/O said nothing but saw what was going on. :n00b:

Glad to hear your time there was enjoyable, I myself personally think I will apply for to be a member at Monroe Township, it's a nicer range then WW and they have three things I can do with out. One they don't have rude R/O's, two they don't have wannabe gang bangers blasting off rounds like they are in a gang war, and three they don't have a weird bicycle riding guy show up randomly to interrogate you about what you are shooting all the while getting way to close to your personal space:gaychase:, or how he used one in such and such war:rolleyes:, and then hound you to let him fire off a few rounds. :nuts:

rotortech

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Indianapolis
    The last time I was there a friend and I were constantly being harassed by the range officer. Not sure if it was the same guy the OP mentioned. But when we went the minute we walked up to fill out the cards to shoot, he informed my friend to lock the bolt back on his 91/30. He then proceeded to watch as like a hawk while he were shooting.

Later on my friend went down range to check the targets and I was adjusting the rear sight on my rifle with my back facing the targets and having my rifle's muzzle pointed up to the sky after to make sure it was unloaded. Then the R/O came up to me in a disgruntled tone saying to unload my gun, I informed him it was unloaded. He then told me to take out the magazine. I complied, he then said to check the bolt, again I complied. He then told me it was against the rules to mess with any gun while someone was down range and sit it on the rifle rack.

At this point I was getting frustrated by his tone and I started to get the feeling he was being somewhat judgmental of my friend and I because we were younger then the other shooters there.

Oh and also for what it's worth right before we left we saw a few guys showing up with bolt action rifles with their bolts locked and loaded and the R/O said nothing to them as they filled out the cards and while my friend was down range one of them was setting up their stuff on one of the benches and proceeded to load his mags and mess with the action on his AR15 while it was pointed in the direction of the targets. Again the R/O said nothing but saw what was going on. :n00b:

Glad to hear your time there was enjoyable, I myself personally think I will apply for to be a member at Monroe Township, it's a nicer range then WW and they have three things I can do with out. One they don't have rude R/O's, two they don't have wannabe gang bangers blasting off rounds like they are in a gang war, and three they don't have a weird bicycle riding guy show up randomly to interrogate you about what you are shooting all the while getting way to close to your personal space:gaychase:, or how he used one in such and such war:rolleyes:, and then hound you to let him fire off a few rounds. :nuts:

Bluedragon - I met that RM a couple of years ago - the last time I went there. He was a royal pain in the butt. I think he only wanted to make sure everyone followed the rules but he was extremely abrasive about. He reminded me of Popeye with a hangover.

I missed out on the hillbillies, kids with guns, and the bicycle guy. I wouldn't like that stuff either. I have the option of going on weekdays so that helps a bunch.

jason765

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Henry County
    I always go during the week and usually have the run of the range, and yes the ROs are awesome. when we go Mike will usually just hang out on the lane with us, not to be nosey or imposing but just because he's bored and wants to hang out and shoot the breeze. So yes this is a horrible place to shoot and I suggest that nobody but me and my wife go there, you will be lucky if you survive.:D Yes there is a "bigger" RO out there sometimes and he is a little bit of an @$$bag range nazi, but most of the time its just Mike and he is very cool:rockwoot:

Dragon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    Mike is hit and miss. I've been out there before and he's been fine. Times like Sunday he comments on everything done. Now, did I double tap 3 times? Yes, testing out my new Geissele SSA trigger. Then he came back to tell my friend to slow down shooting. Didn't bother to watch him shoot and realize that he had full control of recoil and was shooting safely. I really think he does at times feel it's necessary to "talk" to the younger guys.

Cat-Herder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Fortville
    I had some good experiences there until they changed the staff. Then it became totally a bad trip every time I went. Since it's free, it's not like they're hurting due to lost "sales", but the jerk RO's with the Authority Complex drove me to get a membership at FCVCC.
    I don't regret it one bit, and don't have jerky ROs looming over my shoulder on the firing line, or dimwitted yokels sweeping me with high points anymore....AND I can shoot on a 100yd range.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Waiting for next year membership at Monroe Twp. or Frank Merry to join their clubs, 50.00 a year not that bad.

WW can get carried away at times and other times it is just plain fun. Mike's a good guy, think that when it gets busy or a couple of noobs show up, he gets uptight. There have been times He kept a few inexperienced people safe.

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Yup...we where there sunday...and the if the tard that had the taurus jam is reading this....KEEP IT POINTED DOWNRANGE OR SAFE UNTIL ITS CLEAR!.

This guy swept at least 15 people with this "jammed" gun at leas 4 times...IM suprised he didnt look down the barrel for obstructions.

Only reason I go to WW is when my normal range has other events and I cant shoot pistol or rifle.

I did, however find that I dont much care for 1911's...weird...thought I would be a "1911 guy".

God bless
    -Shred

AXE835

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    East central Indiana
    WW has been my home rangr for years. Seen some dumb s$^& there over the years but some of the "rules" and RSO's thay have had and have now need to go jump in a lake. Got one good one now younger guy, he's alright:rockwoot:, the other one well nuff said. As far as the ones complaining about the locals if ya dont like us don't come out here!!!!:bat:

Top Bottom