• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    I had read for years about some guys using the legs and thighs of turkeys as well as the breasts. I thought that would be cool, but never fretted over it since I knew that when I took the breast and tossed the carcass, the critters were using it so it wasn`t wasted.

Eventually I read an article online written by Jim Zumbo about how he used the legs and thighs, and I was seriously intrigued. I ended up trading multiple emails with Jim, getting advice on how to go about using the legs and thighs, but still just never followed thru.

Finally, this turkey season, I took the legs and thighs along with the breast, and I`m so glad that I did.

I put the legs and thighs in a crockpot with a lot of Swanson chicken broth, on low, and figured it would be 12-14 hours, but it just wasn`t happening. I figured it was never going to happen, getting the meat tender and falling off the many bones, but eventually, at around 28 hours, everything seemed to be tender and mostly off the bones, so I started the process. I later was told by Zumbo that I should have had the crockpot on hi.

I scooped everything out from the chicken broth, so I could separate all the meat from the bones. It took a little time, but I finally got all the small bones and bone fragments separated from the meat. I then had to separate any fatty/grisly meat from the good stuff. I went about it this way-anything I saw that I felt would be offensive in my mouth, I threw out. If I were going to err, I wanted to err on the side of caution.

Once the turkey meat was ready, I boiled some Reames noodles in fresh chicken broth per the package instructions, and partway through, I added the cooked turkey meat. I cooked then on low until everything was heated through. The results were as delicious as they were satisfying.

Attachments

• Cooked turkey legs and thighs 2023.jpg
      Cooked turkey legs and thighs 2023.jpg
      128.8 KB · Views: 9
    • Turkey and Noodles 2023.jpg
      Turkey and Noodles 2023.jpg
      120.1 KB · Views: 9

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I used to smoke pheasant thighs/legs.....made for a tastey treat while sitting in deer stands.

It was definitely not tender though....more like a tough jerky....just pinched it between the cheek and gum.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    I used to smoke pheasant thighs/legs.....made for a tastey treat while sitting in deer stands.

It was definitely not tender though....more like a tough jerky....just pinched it between the cheek and gum.
    These turkey legs and thighs were excellent. Tender and savory.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Have you been introduced to an Instant-pot type cooker yet?

What normally would take 6-8 hours in a crock pot can be done in about 90 minutes...

Top Bottom