• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    I was given a barreled action and a really nice stock today. the guy who gave it to me says he bought it as an unfinished wildcat rifle[the action and barrel is finished but the stock still needs some work]
    he says he cant remember what it is chambered for and I can find no markings on it what so ever{other than some numbers but nothing to indicate the caliber}
    is there anyway to find out what this is chambered for/ the muzzle is tiny..its identicle to a .22 or .17hmr but the chamber throat is rather large:dunno:
    I was thinking maybe a .17 fireball?
    or this going to be one of those things that I will never know for sure? if thats the case then Ill just finish the stock and re blue the action and barrel and keep it as a gun safe space filler:dunno:

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    Thanks guys! Ill make a mold this evening if I can fidn the time..Ill also get some pics..maybe that will be helpful:dunno:

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    I messed with it a bit this evening and I dont guess it matters now what it is..the barrel is shot! the rifling is very bad in it and I can see pits all down the inside of the barrel..nothing on this rifle is good. the stock is/was a very nice stock but it was painted at one time or another..this is what was under the coat of paint.
    DSCF0060.jpg

DSCF0059.jpg

DSCF0057.jpg

I'm going to refinish it and see if I can make it fit a savage 93R17 or a ruger m7722..it looks like it wont take much to get it to fit.
    what a shame! this was a very nice rifle at one time and probably cost and arm and a leg to build it:dunno:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Is there a reason why you are not considering replacing the barrel in a caliber of your choice? Could be kind of a cool rig with that stock and all.. It looks like a .308 sized bolt face in your pic. Maybe a .243 or 22-250 is a possibility?

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    Is there a reason why you are not considering replacing the barrel in a caliber of your choice? Could be kind of a cool rig with that stock and all.. It looks like a .308 sized bolt face in your pic. Maybe a .243 or 22-250 is a possibility?

I never considered that until a bit ago. its a possibility for sure! I'd love to have a .22 hornet bolt gun and I think this may make a nice one. Im really not sure..I know the barrel is defiantly some sorta odd wild cat round and I'd almost put money on it that this gun started out as a 222 and then it was re-barreled into some sort of .17 wildcat,maybe a .17-222:dunno:
    Im going to take the rifle into my gun smith next week and have him look over all the parts I have for it and also inspect the barrel to see if maybe it can be worked over{which I doubt} depending on what he has to say I may just give it to him so he can re-do the stock and turn her into a .22 hornet or back into a .222:dunno:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    a 222 is a .384 bf. there are not as many options as the 473 bf but there are some good options. also you can get a kit to change the bf of a given action. if i remember its calleda piff kit (or somthing like that) i know nothing about them at all it was recomended to me as a option and it didn't seam like as good a option as getting a action of the right bf for my desired cartrige (260)

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    I'm defiantly going to do as much research as possible on this one..I'd love to make/have made this into a tack driving varmint rifle. I've got so many irons in the fire rite now that this will probably be a very slow project but I'm going to drop it off at the smiths next week just to get an idea of what I can do with it and maybe get a list of parts that I may need. our smith is a family friend and he has done alot of work for us at cost since we help him out on his farm...so maybe I can bail hay for him this year or something and get this done for very little:dunno:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Cool. I am glad that you are considering bringing this rifle back to life.

I was comparing the bolt face diameter to your finger in the picture. Not very scientific for sure.

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    Cool. I am glad that you are considering bringing this rifle back to life.

I was comparing the bolt face diameter to your finger in the picture. Not very scientific for sure.

I have very large hands..with very large fingers:dunno: everything I hold looks smaller than it actually is:rolleyes::laugh:
    I know..I know...boooooo:cheers:

Top Bottom