• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • notasccrmom

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    south 'til you smell
    They did an awesome job indeed! The only part of the match that I didn't particularly like was the Medium Range Rifle stage (300 yards, and I was shooting my AK). I had planned on shooting my AR, but remembered on the way there that I hadn't sighted it in since I changed the sights. :n00b:

Now if only we could have Multigun at Riley...:rockwoot:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Okay ... we apparently know each other, but I don't recognize your userid!

We've done 3-gun at RileyCC before (before "multi-gun" was a different game). We could do it again, but it would require enough people to help get it done, including someone to spearhead the set-up and take-down who understands multi-gun matches.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    okay ... now I know who you are (looked at your profile).

Josh sent me e-mail before you guys went up there ... I don't know if my response got to him in time, though. I'm glad it went well for you guys. If I had an AK, I'd have shot it too because of ammo $$$$.

notasccrmom

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    south 'til you smell
    Yeah, it all worked out well. We improvised and made do. We both ended up shooting my AK and yeah, that made it a lot cheaper to shoot the match. .223 is getting pricey and I try not to abuse my free ammo privileges, at least not with rifle ammo. Pistol ammo on the other hand is fair game.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I should have an AK soon ... soon ...

I'll be using it for a couple of classes in August, then I'll probably use it for 3-gun and multi-gun until ammo prices turn around. In fact, I'll probably eventually get an AK-74 clone so I can shoot really cheap 5.45x39mm ammo.

We should stock-up now while we can, even if we don't have an AK-74!

notasccrmom

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    south 'til you smell
    Yeah 5.45x39 is pretty dirt cheap. I have heard that most of the surplus 5.45 wont pass the magnet test though. That's something you might want to double check.

I'll probably pick up another case of Golden Tiger 7.62x39 for $180 while I can.

It was a fun gun to shoot the match with, but again, that 300 yard stage killed me. I think I'll shoot my AR at the next match and figure out which I liked better. I'm not sure what to do though.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Yeah 5.45x39 is pretty dirt cheap. I have heard that most of the surplus 5.45 wont pass the magnet test though. That's something you might want to double check.

I'll probably pick up another case of Golden Tiger 7.62x39 for $180 while I can.

It was a fun gun to shoot the match with, but again, that 300 yard stage killed me. I think I'll shoot my AR at the next match and figure out which I liked better. I'm not sure what to do though.

I don't really care if the 5.45 is steel core or not ... but I suppose it could be an issue if you're shooting steel targets.

Where did you find Golden Tiger 7.62 for $180?

notasccrmom

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    south 'til you smell
    I don't really care if the 5.45 is steel core or not ... but I suppose it could be an issue if you're shooting steel targets.

Where did you find Golden Tiger 7.62 for $180?

Isn't steel core a no-no in 3-Gun and Multi-gun? I realize the rule is because of steel plates, but either way, still a rule.

I know a guy...

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    This is the only rule (that I can find) which might be applicable, from the current rifle rules.

5.5.4 Metal piercing, incendiary and/or tracer ammunition is prohibited at
    USPSA matches.

The thing is, almost all centerfire rifle ammunition is "metal piercing," depending on what kind of metal you're talking about. A steel core does not necessarily make it more capable of piercing metal than any other, so I assume it would have to depend on who is enforcing the rule, why, and the specific ammo in question.

Plus there is a lot of ammo out there with a mild steel jacket plated with copper (S&B .223 is an example). It's no more "metal piercing" than any other .223 at the same speed, but it will definitely fail a magnet test, and it also sucks for serious use because it won't fragment after it yaws, regardless of the velocity.

I also was thinking of other uses for it (not match shooting), so I probably should have said so.

notasccrmom

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    south 'til you smell
    Yeah I know some lead core stuff fails the magnet test. I fully understand the logic behind the idea, but that's definitely one that's hard to put into "lawyer proof" rule speak. It's kinda like you just have to use the honor system.

Match shooting or not, AK's are a boatload of fun at the range. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.:thumbsup:

Top Bottom