• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2020
    Indianapolis
    As the pandemic hit early this year it’s no surprise that ammo prices have gone through the roof. Does anyone see these prices going back to normal in the near future or do you think this is the new norm? Would love your input

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    There is no way to predict what the prices will do other than to guess that with Biden being so anti-2nd amendment and his replacement being worse, I would predict current prices to be pretty close to the new normal. Manufactures are still playing catch-up with last summer orders.

Trevelayan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 11, 2014
    Putnam Co.
    Not for the foreseeable future. Demand is at an all time high and components are hard to come by due to Covid.

Unfortunately this is probably going to be normal for a few years at least.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I highly doubt it. The way Biden/Harris feel about guns and ammo, we'll be lucky to be able to buy anything.

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    Hard to tell. The Georgia Senate election, the former MPD Officer Chauvin trial and possible riots, possible mass shooting events once we are allowed to gather in groups again post-Covid...

(I figured Obama was the death-knell for the 2nd, which I thought confirmed after Sandy Hook. Instead we saw a golden age of weapons and ammo during his last couple of years in office.)

For now, sit on what you got. I am!

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    As the pandemic hit early this year it’s no surprise that ammo prices have gone through the roof. Does anyone see these prices going back to normal in the near future or do you think this is the new norm? Would love your input
    I think it depends on whether supply ever catches up to demand, or demand drops to meet current supply. I know people don’t like to hear this, but the way out of this is for manufacturers to gouge. That could bring things back into line. But we won’t let them because we think gouging poopy. And it is. But it’s also how the market corrects itself.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I see 2 possible outcomes, as the run on ammo this time around involves MASSIVELY expanded gun ownership, so the effects will last far longer than any period before.

1.) Biden gets sent back to the basement, and in a couple years we're back to having a reliable and affordable supply of ammo.

2.) Due process fails and we're looking at dems getting everything they want, in which case you will probably not be allowed to buy ammo of certain calibers without NFA paperwork.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    I load four gauges for shotgun and 9mm, 45 acp, and a few rifle metallic cartridges for hunting. I’ve thankfully got enough components to last me quite a long time. I also have quite a large cache of .22 LR. Too bad I lost all my firearms in a terrible boating accident.

Although the topic of the thread is ammo price and supply and demand, if Biden and his administration figure out a way to impose a fee or tax on the purchase or ownership of firearms we’re all screwed. For those who say that will never happen, the Supreme Court ruled that Obama care was legal because it was a form of tax. I think the Dems/liberals will try an end around to successfully get what they want.

Reactions: Een

Eagle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 29, 2020
    Greenwood
    Supply will increase, demand will decrease, and prices will drop. How much? Dunno. I doubt I’ll be buying 1000 rounds with free delivery from PSA for $179 like fall of 2019...ah, wish I had bought more...

As for Biden, he doesn’t make laws, congress does. Sometimes it sounds like people think the president makes all the rules. It’s not that bad, at least not yet.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Without going into the politics of it, I am now hearing ammo manufacturers think it will be the second half of 2021 before they begin to catch up with current demand

That will be pretty much perfect timing for the panic buyers to forget why they were in a panic to begin with. 12-9 months seems about right for a cycle.

It's impossible to predict what will happen, but I'm willing to roll the dice that next summer will be about as reasonable as it's going to get for the foreseeable future. If it's still a horror show, then, well...

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I feel like this is very possible minus the fact that there’s a change in administration I feel like COVID is making it impossible for these companies to get all their supplies and orders fulfilled givin the lockdowns

That's true across the board with a lot of things right now though. I have a buddy that is wanting to build a fairly top spec gaming PC and he flatly can't buy the parts. I just ordered a 600w plain jane PSU and it was hard to find... A 2TB SSD/HDD hybrid drive I paid $65 for last year is now $200 when its in stock. Can't get belts or pulleys for my 3D printer... and on and on it goes.

China has taken it in the shorts from the tariffs and the WuFlu a lot harder than they will admit and it's finally trickling into the supply chain on our end. It will ease up soon enough in that regard.

yepthatsme

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Right Here
    Just keep in mind that all it would take to increase the panic for ammo and firearms is for Biden to threaten gun control via executive order. Even if he doesn't take any action, the panic will increase just from the threat alone. We experienced the same thing with Obama.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Biden's cabinet picks are already pointing to a day one anti-2A blitz. Get used to the new normal.

357Slinger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2020
    Sellersburg
    And there will be the conveniently timed shooting to stoke the public, new norm for sure...

All bets are off if Biden/Harris controls Senate & House... even if they don't get anything passed in the first 100 days, the speculation and panic will continue to fuel hoarding/stockpiling ammo.

I think prices will remain high for foreseeable future...why not? A lot of money is being made through the whole chain of supply.... just look at OLIN and others stock prices/revenues over the past year...

At almost $1-a-pop, I'm not wasting any practicing or doing magazine dumps....its cheaper for me to throw a rock filled roll of toilet at a target.... (god knows my wife loaded us up with that)

Top Bottom