Will an S&W 29-2 rear sight fit an S&W 27?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    Ok S&W wheelgun gurus! Here's your trivia for today! I have a 29-2 .44 mag, and a buddy of mine has a 27 that he got from his grandpa. His 27 has a 3" barrel, and has been fitted with a nice Leupold pistol scope. It's his first real pistol, and he wants it more for a defensive pistol, than a target pistol. Grandpa couldn't find the rear sight, and he offered to trade me the scope and mount for my rear sight if it'll fit. Any Ideas? I believe it is a straight no dash model 27. If I'm not mistaken, they are both N frames, so I'd assume it'll fit, but I thought I'd check with the pros, before I start tearing guns apart! Thanks guys!

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Rear sight will interchange on those 2 guns. BUT the height of the rear sight blade may be different as S&W offered several different height blades for different models and barrel lengths. Put the sight on and test fire the gun he might be OK as is.
    The blades can be swapped out easy enough. I have quite a few different height rear blades in stock if you need a different one. I can swap them for you if you need to just send me the sight if I have what you need in stock.

Might want to tell your friend that while the sights do interchange they are different in that a original model 27 rear sight is checkered on the top strap to match the top of the gun. Your 29 rear sight just has serrations and not checkering on the top. That would hurt the value somewhat but if is going to carry it it won't make any difference.

If you do swap and want a rear sight for your gun someday Brownell's and Midway and S&W sell them. Make sure you get the "OLD" style that is square at the front. The newer ones are rounded in the front.

Last edited:

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    Are the height differences so far off that they can't be overcome by elevation adjustment? Will measuring center of bore to top of front sight tell me the exact difference? (If in fact they end up being different.)
    Either way, thanks for the reply! I knew there were other Smith guys floating around here somewhere!

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I would check also if the barrel length makes a difference parts wise. I know the rear sight for an older Md 19 6" is different from that for a 4" or 2 1/2"

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Are the height differences so far off that they can't be overcome by elevation adjustment? Will measuring center of bore to top of front sight tell me the exact difference? (If in fact they end up being different.)
    Either way, thanks for the reply! I knew there were other Smith guys floating around here somewhere!

Sorry no way to tell if sight adjustment will cover it. Just have to shoot it and find out.

BTW tell your friend that if his 3" 27, measured from front of barrel to front of cylinder not front of barrel to front of frame, is a rarer gun and if it is in good shape it would be worth helping grandpa fine that sight or buy a used one online. Might even find new ones listed.
    It would be worth more than a 4" or 6". If it is in average shape and had holes drilled for scope mount I wouldn't worry about it just shoot and enjoy it.

FWIW
    I have had several people bring in rare 3" or 5" guns that they didn't know how to measure the barrel and they were really 4' or 6" guns.
    Just to clarifiy why I included the how to measure the barrel above.

Top Bottom