Will Mohamed Noor Escape Prosecution For Killing Janine Damond?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gundawg

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2016
    Cedar Lake
    Will Mohamed Noor Escape Prosecution For Killing Justine Damond?

In a bizarre statement, Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman claims the evidence is insufficient to charge Minneapolis Police Officer Mohamed Noor in the homicide of Justine Damond.

On the night of July 14-15, 2017, Justine Damond called Minneapolis police to report hearing what she feared was a sexual assault in the alley behind her suburban home. Eight minutes later, she called again.

Officers Harrity and Noor responded, Harrity driving their squad car down the alley behind Damond's residence. Damond approached the car in her nightgown and Noor, from the passenger's seat, inexplicably fired his service weapon across Harrity's body and through the driver's window, striking and killing Damond. The case got a lot of publicity initially but soon dropped out of the news cycle. It didn't serve any narratives the Fake News media wanted to advance. In fact, quite the opposite.

Within 24 hours the known facts established a prima facie case for manslaughter charges against Noor. Five months later, no charges have been filed and it's beginning to look like no charges will ever be filed.

I wasn't surprised that County Attorney Mike Freeman delayed filing charges. Freeman is a hard core DFL (Minnesota Democrat) apparatchik from a family long involved in politics. The DFL Mayor of Minneapolis, Betsy Hodges, was running for reelection, scheduled for November 7th. Hodges was facing intense scrutiny over the Damond homicide and anything that brought the case back into the public eye hurt her reelection prospects. Noor was a Somali immigrant and his presence on the Minneapolis PD was used as a political chip by Hodges and Police Chief Janee Harteau. Questions were raised about how Noor was trained and the process used to bring him onto the police force. Police Chief Harteau was fired after she failed to return immediately from vacation to deal with the aftermath of the killing.

But now it appears that Freeman wasn't stalling just to protect Hodges' reelection effort. (In any case, she lost.) He is now claiming the evidence is not sufficient to bring any charges against Noor and blaming the Minnesota Bureau Of Criminal Apprehension for failing to properly investigate the case.

Local activists approached Freeman at a union event and questioned him about the delay. Apparently taken by surprise and unaware he was being recorded, Freeman gave an unguarded and rambling justification for the failure to bring charges that appears to be both at odds with the known facts and circumstances and a deeply troubling look into his real motivations and agenda.

“I’ve got to have the evidence. And I don’t have it yet. And let me just say, it’s not my fault,” Freeman said. “So if it isn’t my fault, who didn’t do their jobs? Investigators, and they don’t work for me. And they haven’t done their job.”

Facts sufficient to charge Noor with manslaughter have been known from the first day of the investigation. It's a slam dunk. So Freeman's claims the BCA dropped the ball are transparently false. There was no way to screw up the known facts. Further, if the evidence was insufficient, Freeman has the most powerful investigative tool available, the grand jury, under his personal control. If he convened a grand jury he could compel testimony and the production of evidence from virtually everyone except Noor himself. He hasn't used that tool.

But then Freeman added:

“I have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt, (that) the moment he shot the gun, he feared for his life. And he used force because he thought he was gonna be killed,” Freeman said. “But I can’t. He won’t answer my questions because he doesn’t have to, OK? We all have Fifth Amendment rights, and I respect that. So I can’t talk to her because she’s gone, and the other cop just gave us some (expletive), OK? So guess what? I gotta figure out angles of the shot, gun residues, reckless-use-of-force experts.”

The problem here is that Freeman is describing defense counsel's duties, not his own, albeit imperfectly. Freeman's job is to make the case for manslaughter, not the case for self-defense. All he has to do is establish that Noor shot and killed Damond without apparent justification, easily done given the known facts. It is then defense counsel's duty to argue self-defense with evidence sufficient to raise a reasonable doubt. That appears to be a nearly impossible task as it would require evidence that Noor had a reasonable basis to fear for his life or his partner's life when he shot Damond in her pajamas. Assuming he could do so, it would then become Freeman's job to rebut that evidence to the point he disproved one element of the self-defense argument beyond a reasonable doubt.

This statement looks to me like a Freudian slip. Freeman is desperate to avoid charging Noor. The case is apparently going to be very embarrassing for the Minneapolis DFL crew. It seems likely that Noor was rushed through an inadequate course of training, received other special considerations, and indications of unfitness were ignored. And the Somali immigrant community is an important voting block Freeman would alienate if he brings charges against Noor.

What we heard from Freeman is a description of his personal dilemma. He has a solid case for manslaughter and he knows it. He desperately needs evidence of a viable self-defense argument to justify refusing to bring charges against Noor. That is the evidence he doesn't have, the evidence he knows simply doesn't exist.

In any case, it's obvious Freeman is doing everything in his power to avoid prosecuting Mohamed Noor for killing Justine Damond. If he is forced by circumstances to bring charges, it seems likely he will do what he can to torpedo the case.

The civil case against Noor and the city for wrongful death will certainly be settled to avoid exposure of the corrupt, self-serving political hackery that led to the placement of an unfit token Somali immigrant on the police force.

Last edited:

Case Hardened

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2017
    Danvers
    This case should be an eye-opener for America.

We all know what would have happened should the Officer been White, and the MURDER VICTIM Black.

There would have been RIOTS, LOOTING, and a NATIONAL UPROAR.

And guess what ? Apparently Bad Behavior like that is NECESSARY.

Because without it, it actually IS a Field Day on victims of the victim's racial group.

Fortunately few Police Departments are this corrupt (I hope).

Mohammed Noor will never pay for his crime.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    His statement actually makes complete sense if he said, or meant to say "DIS-prove beyond a reasonable doubt (that) the moment he shot the gun he feared for his life."

Ive listened to the audio and I don't hear the "dis" but the quality is poor and it is clear he is a little flustered. I'm not so certain there is some conspiracy here. Juries have been SUPER hesitant to convict cops on use of force cases and I don't really blame him for not charging it if he doesn't have the evidence to meet his burden.

Plus, you can't defeat the fifth amendment via grand jury and it sounds like it isn't testimony that he is after. Hence him referencing angles/experts etc.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    This case should be an eye-opener for America.

We all know what would have happened should the Officer been White, and the MURDER VICTIM Black.

There would have been RIOTS, LOOTING, and a NATIONAL UPROAR.

And guess what ? Apparently Bad Behavior like that is NECESSARY.

Because without it, it actually IS a Field Day on victims of the victim's racial group.

Fortunately few Police Departments are this corrupt (I hope).

Mohammed Noor will never pay for his crime.

No, "we" don't.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    No, "we" don't.

Perhaps he over-generalized his statement, but unless you have been living in a cave without electronic communication for the last several years, you should be aware of the rioting and other unrest caused when the shoe has been on the other foot, never mind the more conventional forms of registering protest.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Perhaps he over-generalized his statement, but unless you have been living in a cave without electronic communication for the last several years, you should be aware of the rioting and other unrest caused when the shoe has been on the other foot, never mind the more conventional forms of registering protest.

I'm aware, but those are exceptions, not rules. A cursory look at similar instances illustrate such.

Case Hardened

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2017
    Danvers
    This case is so clear it is sickening.

America has thousands of Native-Born Police Officers with African Ancestors.

They serve with honor - and when they are involved in serious situations, such as the Freddie Gray case, they are fully investigated.

This is different.

Mohammed Noor was courted and raced through training not because he is black, but because he is a member of today's most coddled class: a Muslim.

He was never fit to wear the Badge, and should be wearing a Jumpsuit for the rest of his life.

The Federal Justice Department needs to investigate this case, just as they would if the roles were reversed.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    This case is so clear it is sickening.

America has thousands of Native-Born Police Officers with African Ancestors.

They serve with honor - and when they are involved in serious situations, such as the Freddie Gray case, they are fully investigated.

This is different.

Mohammed Noor was courted and raced through training not because he is black, but because he is a member of today's most coddled class: a Muslim.

He was never fit to wear the Badge, and should be wearing a Jumpsuit for the rest of his life.

The Federal Justice Department needs to investigate this case, just as they would if the roles were reversed.

He may never have been fit to wear a badge, but there are a LOT of officers, still working, that fit that description. People are making a lot of assumptions with this particular case. We don't know that he was "courted" or fast tracked through his process. There is nothing that indicates that his performance on that fateful night was related to his race nor his faith. From what I know about this instance, Noor didn't intend to kill this woman for any malicious reason. It seems he, like officers in a number of other cases, simply couldn't hold himself together.
    I would remind that this instance occurred in Minneapolis.... and almost exactly a year prior, yet another officer was involved in an "iffy" shooting (Philando Castile). That officer wasn't charged either. In that instance, I also don't believe that the officer killed Castile with intentional malice. He was simply yet another officer that was probably "never fit to wear a badge."

...and believe it or not, there were no rioting, looting, or any other types of civil unrest after the Castile situation.

Case Hardened

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2017
    Danvers
    He may never have been fit to wear a badge, but there are a LOT of officers, still working, that fit that description. People are making a lot of assumptions with this particular case. We don't know that he was "courted" or fast tracked through his process. There is nothing that indicates that his performance on that fateful night was related to his race nor his faith. From what I know about this instance, Noor didn't intend to kill this woman for any malicious reason. It seems he, like officers in a number of other cases, simply couldn't hold himself together.
    I would remind that this instance occurred in Minneapolis.... and almost exactly a year prior, yet another officer was involved in an "iffy" shooting (Philando Castile). That officer wasn't charged either. In that instance, I also don't believe that the officer killed Castile with intentional malice. He was simply yet another officer that was probably "never fit to wear a badge."

...and believe it or not, there were no rioting, looting, or any other types of civil unrest after the Castile situation.

The Officer in that case was CHARGED.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Philando_Castile

And Philando Castile, at least did have a gun.

I do not agree with the verdict, BTW. But I will admit it was a difficult case.

Case Hardened

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2017
    Danvers

I do not believe the MURDER of Justine Damond was a Hate Crime.

But to me it is clear he never should have issued a Badge, and WAS an Officer solely due to his Religion - not his Race.

And his track record of very poor previous behavior should have sidelined him long before this incident.

Mohamed Noor: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com

Case Hardened

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2017
    Danvers

Good.

Very little of the anarchy is home-grown, IMHO.

I don't believe American Blacks are, in general, prove to riot - UNTIL Outside Agitators paid by The Southern Poverty Law Center, BLM, and other SOROS-FUNDED groups get involved.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Good.

Very little of the anarchy is home-grown, IMHO.

I don't believe American Blacks are, in general, prove to riot - UNTIL Outside Agitators paid by The Southern Poverty Law Center, BLM, and other SOROS-FUNDED groups get involved.

History has shown us, that people in impoverished area, who believe that they are being unfairly victimized, don't need anyone to pay them to start rioting.

Case Hardened

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2017
    Danvers
    I didn't recall that either. My memory is getting as bad as Jamil's. I withdraw the previous statement to the contrary.

Good.

I'm been less than 100% accurate once or twice myself :rolleyes:

And I'm not always man enough to own up to my errors, either.

But if, IF some outside group came in and urged those outraged by this Murder to riot, and led the charge, there would be the same anarchy we've seen other places.

I don't know if I'm glad the citizens are restrained, or disappointed.

But I do fear Americans have become so complacent that there is no outrage that would get them off their couches.

And look at THIS GUY https://fellowshipoftheminds.com/20...-years-in-prison-for-leaving-bacon-in-mosque/

FIFTEEN YEARS IN PRISON for leaving Bacon in a Mosque ? Really ?

Top Bottom