Will the President and his Supporters Enroll?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    If my reasoning is wrong and there is some reason other than greed or hypocrisy why Progressives shouldn't join the exchanges, please post it.

hookedonjeep

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    With the other Sheepdogs
    So, Streak; since this thread deals with Obamacare... Did you sign up? And if not, why? If so, why; and more to the point, what cost differences are you seeing?

Still waiting for a response, Streak..... 19 hours ago, I gave you the opportunity to explain to us all why Obamacare is such a good thing; in a forum free from hostility and judgement. I am genuinely curious if you have actually gone onto Healthcare.gov and signed up - being such a staunch Democrat, and ardent defender of Obamacare. I would like to know if you yourself have done the math, and regardless of cost, signed up for this program that you vehemently defend. I know that I used the calculator online, and the cost for my family of four on the "silver" plan ( a 70/30 plan ) would be $12,870 per year. And, due to my income level, I do not qualify for a subsidy. That equates to $1072.50 per month - just for the "privilege" of a crappy 70/30 plan. That $1072.50 each and every month does not include co-pays, or prescriptions, or other medical costs. In reflection, I currently have a plan that covers my whole family on medical, dental, and vision; and my portion of the cost is $198.00 per month. My co-pay for doctors visits is $20, my presciption coverage is awesome ($5.00 for generics, $25.00 for name brands), and my max out of pocket expense per year for my family is $2400.00. All of this is provided as a portion of my wages - I get paid less in lieu for the industry I work in.

For me, the introduction of Obamacare is a nightmare. My wife and children require more medical services than the average Joe, and on prescriptions it has saved us. As an example, without insurance, my wife's Meds alone per month would cost over $2200.00.
    As such, should my employer decide that the costs of our benefits are no longer cost effective in attaining and retaining qualified individuals, and dump us on the exchanges ( cheaper to pay the penalty to the government than to continue providing coverage ).... I shudder to think what our costs will go up to. As such, you can see my reluctance to accept Obamacare as the superior insurance option.

I would also like to see just how many Progressives / Democrats that already have a good insurance plan will give it up in the name of blindly trying to help "the less fortunate", and sign up for Obamacare. If I had to guess, there will not be that many that do so willingly - not necessarily out of Hypocracy, but out of self preservation.

As as to the notion that I should somehow feel obligated to pay to provide insurance for "the less fortunate", I say no. I, like most folks here, started working a crap job, with no benefits. I worked my way up, job to job, advancing my wages and benefits with each new job - relative to my experience. When I was younger, I needed less healthcare, so benefits didn't always matter to me. As I get older, I understand how important they are. This has shaped my work ethic, and taught me that settling with a part time job, making minimum wage with no benefits is no way to go through life - a life that was suggested by Nancy Pelosi to be acceptable. When asked about the removal of so many full time positions as a direct result of Obamacare, forcing many to only work part time; her response was "perhaps they can now pursue hobbies they have always wanted to try, since they will have more free time".

So, which is better for you?
    :popcorn:

Last edited:

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The point is, Obama and the Progressives have constantly told us that we all need to "pay just a little bit more; pay our fair share" and the country as a whole will be better off.

I am suggesting how people who claim to believe this can contribute to it.

In actuality, progressives want to spread your money around, never theirs. By failing to sign up for the exchanges, they will prove that.

hd1971

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 18, 2012
    Columbus, IN
    Hookedonjeep you’re not alone. A friend of mine was one of the fortunate ones that was able to login to the website. Single Male, $500 a month, $5000 deductible,
    no prescription coverage, pays for three doctors’ visits a year. Basically that is major medical coverage. Does nothing to help with normal everyday health care.

Democrats get on TV and preach about how millions of people will have health insurance. They act like they have done something really great by providing health insurance to millions of people. The only thing they have done is given millions a false sense of Hope. As people are starting to find out is does very little to pay for their Health Care. They are leading people to believe if they have Health Insurance they will have great Health Care. Having Health insurance doesn’t equal having great Health Care. They try to demonize the Republicans for wanting to repeal Obamacare. As more and more people are able to login to the website they will see who the real demons are.

A lot of people don’t understand Obamacare will affect all people whether they have insurance or not. Our insurance company
    told us are rates will increase 30-100% over the next 12-24 months due to Obamacare. That is a drastic increase. On average it has gone
    up around 10% per year. Who’s pocket will that come out of? Mine.

In the end millions of people were promised health insurance that they assumed meant great Health Care to win an election….

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Hookedonjeep you’re not alone. A friend of mine was one of the fortunate ones that was able to login to the website. Single Male, $500 a month, $5000 deductible,
    no prescription coverage, pays for three doctors’ visits a year. Basically that is major medical coverage. Does nothing to help with normal everyday health care.

Democrats get on TV and preach about how millions of people will have health insurance. They act like they have done something really great by providing health insurance to millions of people. The only thing they have done is given millions a false sense of Hope. As people are starting to find out is does very little to pay for their Health Care. They are leading people to believe if they have Health Insurance they will have great Health Care. Having Health insurance doesn’t equal having great Health Care. They try to demonize the Republicans for wanting to repeal Obamacare. As more and more people are able to login to the website they will see who the real demons are.

A lot of people don’t understand Obamacare will affect all people whether they have insurance or not. Our insurance company
    told us are rates will increase 30-100% over the next 12-24 months due to Obamacare. That is a drastic increase. On average it has gone
    up around 10% per year. Who’s pocket will that come out of? Mine.

In the end millions of people were promised FREE HEALTH CARE to win an election.

Fixed it for you.

The fun part will come when the majority decides they don't like it and the PRAVDA media reports the Republicans were aware of the problems with the Affordable Care Act and could have saved the country from the worst of it in October of 2013, but refused to work on a bi-partisan solution and chose to let people suffer because they hate Obama.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I now invite any and all Affordable Care Act supporters to report that they have signed up for insurance through an exchange or report why they have not.

I also urge all INGO members to ask any and all Affordable Care Act supporters they may know if they have signed up and, if not, why not.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I sent a letter to the Editor:

The Health Care Exchanges set up under the Affordable Care Act are open to all U.S. citizens; even those whose employers provide health insurance as a benefit. Those who have health insurance now are, presumably, healthier than those without. The Affordable Care Act relies on a significant number of relatively healthy individuals and families to enroll in the health exchanges in order to remain solvent. I understand the premiums charged will be affected by the amount that must be spent on health care; if less is spent, the premiums will be less. Thus, each relatively healthy, currently insured, person who joins an exchange will lower the premiums for the sicker and needier members.

Several times our President has said that if each of us who is doing well would pay just a little more, all of us would be better off. Logically, then, our President and all his supporters will be joining a health care exchange regardless of their employer-supplied benefit. Buying their insurance through the exchanges and spending just a few dollars more each year will lower the health care costs of all exchange participants.

I am certain the President and all of his supporters will join an exchange to help keep their fellow citizens’ health care premiums low. To fail to do so would indicate a hypocritical lack of concern for others and imply they are only willing to help the less fortunate by using other people’s money, never their own.

I encourage the President, the White House Staff, and all his supporters to join a health exchange as soon as possible in solidarity with all people receiving care under the Affordable Care Act. Be sure to ask every Obama supporter if they have signed up yet. This will allow them to proudly stand with the President in receiving and helping to supply to others quality, equitable healthcare at a fair cost to all.

The Indianapolis Star published my letter today, 10/23/13.
    They left out the third paragraph, shown in bold above, thus turning the letter into support for the Affordable Care Act.

I spoke with Tim Swarens, editor of Opinions and Conversations. He stated the letter had to edited for length, that the main point was that Obama and his supporters should sign up through the exchanges, and that that point was made without the third paragraph.

Draw your own conclusions as to the fairness of his position.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom