Will the price of reloading components decrease in the future?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BOVindy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2015
    Carmel
    I've only been reloading for a short while, but I've done enough with my caliber that I'm starting to think about bulk purchases of components. I've mainly been looking at bullets and powders, which got me thinking. If you guys were to look at reloading components like a stock market of sorts, would you say that prices will decrease in the coming year due to larger supply, or increase due to the large amount of people purchasing firearms? Thank you for your time. -Ben

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I don't think you are going to gain much by waiting. Primers, powder and boolits seem to be in plentiful supply.
    If something happens to cause another panic, you will have wished you had bought while supplies were available.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Buy NOW....

I agree that the prices probably will not go lower.

Buy your powder in #8 containers if you can..5K primers if you can..Bulk Bullets if you can..

Just SE of you is The Indiana Gun Club, they have some of the best stock around of powders+primers..

If you want to drive a little BobCatSteel, in Shelbyville also has a good stock..

Check them out....Bill.

BOVindy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2015
    Carmel
    The regular going price for most 8lb containers of powder that I have seen at gunshows is about $185. Does that sound accurate to you guys, and do you think I'd get a better price if I was buying 24lbs? I know the guys at the gun club try to keep IMR and Hodgdon powder in stock, which is helpful because I was looking to get 8lbs of varget, 8lbs of IMR 4895, and 8lbs of IMR 8208 XBR. How are the prices at the gun club, and do you think they're open to negotiation on bulk purchases? As far as .224 bullets go, I've noticed that some milsurp bullets can be found for <$10 per hundred at a gunshow, but If I was looking at 75gr and up they seem to be about $20 per hundred. My question is, If I wanted to get 1,000 82gr berger bullets (running price seems to be about 28 cents per bullet) would I get a much better price, or do you have to order much more than 1,000 to get a deal. I was looking to get 1,000 bergers and maybe 2,000-3,000 cheaper bullets (still 75gr and up) so I could still plink with heavy bullets, but they wouldn't cost an arm and a leg. Another thought that popped into my head was whether I should get 3,000 other bullets and 1,000 bergers or would I be able to get 20 cent pricing if I bought 3,000-4,000 bergers. Thank you for your time. -Ben

romack991

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    Price depends a lot on the specific powder. Local places might give you a bit of a break for bulk but buying online is going to be the cheapest option typically. Try to buy primers and powder together to minimize hazmat. Powdervalley is usually a pretty good benchmark for prices.

Oh, and with 2016 being an election year, I wouldn't count on anything ammo related getting cheaper or easier to find.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I think prices will only go up relative to todays prices and could be impacted by the following.

1) Rise in metal commodities price. Prices for copper and many other metals are pretty low right now. As copper prices go up so will the costs of bullets and primers.
    2) Rise in oil commodities price. I don't know the exact process for making gunpowder, but suspect that the chemical processing that is required to make it, does track oil prices to some extent.
    3) Election of a Democratic President will drive another big round of panic buying and given the laws of supply and demand, will drive up price
    4) If #3 happens, I would be willing to bet that there will be new restrictions and taxes placed on ammunition and reloading supplies as part of sweeping gun control measures.

The moral of the story...by cheap and stack deep.

I will say this...check local laws to see if there are any restrictions or requirements for safely storing powder and primers. There are some fire codes that limit powder quantities and / or require a powder magazine to be built.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Be sure to look into your local zoning laws.
    Most residences are allowed up to 25lbs of powder storage before you're technically supposed to have it stored in a powder magazine.
    I've read federal law prohibits residences from storing more than 50lbs of powder, regardless of storage methods.
    Also, check with your insurance company. They may have a thing or two to say about paying claims...

BTW- 24 pounds of powder will make a metric crap-load of loaded ammo.

Steelworker

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Allen County
    I dont think that prices will go down. I try to match what I buy: 1000 primers, 1000 bullets, and x amount of powder so I can make 1000 loaded rounds. No real need to be too far ahead on any one component and short on another. The only exception to this is when I find a super deal on something. Then all bets are off. lol

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    179   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    Buy as much as you can comfortably afford but don't take food off the table to do it.

I agree with the consensus that for the most part right now is a great time to buy most components. Grafs has a $15 hazmat special right now with a minimum purchase.

The availability is volatile in nature, it doesn't take much for the supply to dry up in a few days. If you have what you need to get you through a while you won't be affected much by a panic.

MickeyBlueEyes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    BFE, Indiana
    In a stock your shelves kind of mode, you should be ten thousand components ahead of your loading. That way, you have all you need in the next panic and can sell some of it off to increase your fortunes. I wouldn't suggest scalping, but i would suggest making the current price.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The first time primers got hard to get, the brand name primers went from $10.50/1000 to about $13.00. They never went back down. The next time, they went to about $19.00 and never came down again either. Similar with powder and bullets. I would not hold my breath for lowering prices, especially since a lot of the inflation is from the permanent and world wide devaluing of our currency.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    It's actually not that "prices" are going up - it's the buying power of your dollars is going down."Your cash ain't nothin' but trash" as Steve Miller likes to say. It's going to get worse.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    It's actually not that "prices" are going up - it's the buying power of your dollars is going down."Your cash ain't nothin' but trash" as Steve Miller likes to say. It's going to get worse.

There is some truth to that, but a weakening dollar is probably the least of the contributing factors to the high cost of reloading supplies.

Top Bottom