• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OWGEM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    I purchased some .223 tracer ammo a while back. Have not fired until lately as it was too dry, concerned about starting a fire. Now that it is safer, ie wetter, I'm wondering if they will foul a barrel on a firearm faster than non tracer ammo. Any idea?

THard6

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2010
    Greenwood
    this is a good question that i don't have the answer to. however i have shot over 500 rouns through my bushmaster and have since cleaned it and shot regular rounds.. evething seems and looks fine to me.

THard6

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2010
    Greenwood
    on second hand.. i think they will destroy the barrel and you should most likely not use them, but i have a gun that handles them just fine.. would you like to part with them?? :D

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    My HS chemistry says phosphorous is corrosive.

Phosphorus is on the ass of a tracer, it's what makes it burn.

Just my 2

As I posted in the other thread about this, tracers do not lite in a barrel. Any military gun that tracers are shot from would end up blowing up in the shooters face and they would have burning phosphorous embedded in their face.
    Tracers have a brass cup on the back side where the phosphorous is, the pressure and heat from the burning powder is what sets them off outside of the barrel.
    The powder in tracer rounds burns hotter to accomplish this. If you buy surplus powder you will see WC844 or WC844T also WC846 or WC846T

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    While it may not "light" in the barrel, the US military 'sez in their manuals to not continously shoot tracers (and only tracers) as it will corrode the gas system and barrel if you do not clean it. I've pitted a Bushmaster non-chromed barrel before by not cleaning after shooting M196, so while some people will argue with me until I die, I had to replace a barrel due to the practice...

Short answer no with a maybe, long answer yes with a but.

I Love Bourbon

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    I've fired 10's of thousands of tracers (not an exageration) and I've never experianced the first problem. They've been fired through everything from a M11-9 up to the M-2 and have never corroded anything.

bmyers

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    If the gun is not cleaned it will corrode. May not be noticeable, but it will be going on. With a chrome lined or stainless barrel it would take a lot to notice it.

chuckp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Central IN
    As I posted in the other thread about this, tracers do not lite in a barrel. Any military gun that tracers are shot from would end up blowing up in the shooters face and they would have burning phosphorous embedded in their face.
    Tracers have a brass cup on the back side where the phosphorous is, the pressure and heat from the burning powder is what sets them off outside of the barrel.
    The powder in tracer rounds burns hotter to accomplish this. If you buy surplus powder you will see WC844 or WC844T also WC846 or WC846T

So how do they light ouside of the barrel? The ignition starts in the barrel then they reach full strength in flight. There is not a source of ignition outside of the barrel. Not much pressure or heat outside of the barrel.

chuck

OWGEM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    Buy 'um, shoot 'um and clean your gun. Much fun.

picture.php

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've fired plenty of 22lr tracers through my 10-22 without issues. Some 5.56 tracers through the AR's, but between the two I actually think the 22lr tracers are more fun.

Top Bottom