• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I thought we were all speaking hypothetically !!!( this is a "what if" discussion) I am in no way speaking of illegal activitys, cuz in a SHTF senario there wouldnt be any laws. Sorry if i offended anyone, that was not my ententions.:patriot:

Actually, just because there is a breakdown of civil society, does not mean that there are no laws. It just means that there is no means of enforcing them. You'll also find that many respectable survival groups don't allow discussions of turning into cannibals, looters, rapists, murderers, etc. We have a hard enough time with our image to the general public.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I think my family will have a pretty good chance of making it. Although I am trying to figure out where we can bug out to if needed. Being on the farm helps some. But of course if I can get more people in to help me as well. Then that's even better.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    I think my family will have a pretty good chance of making it. Although I am trying to figure out where we can bug out to if needed. Being on the farm helps some. But of course if I can get more people in to help me as well. Then that's even better.

Farming was touched on in the show last night and I have read some different theories on other sites about how to run a large farm without fuel or power. Do you have any theories on that?

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    I liked the show last night but to use that example and apply it to us(ingo,indiana) doesn't work when your making vague generalizations about people and their families here such as all our wives being pansy dish washers. the funny thing is my wife was watching it with me and said that lady needed slapped for being an idiot, and that she wanted to go to shays FOF class. and also the area is completely different than my AO and all of indiana land wise and population wise, comparing LA to indiana just doesn't work. telling people in a survival forum they won't survive is kind of a slap in the face. when I had cancer years ago the thought of giving up and dying NEVER once entered my mind, and had it I not so sure I would be here today. there cannot be enough said for positive thinking in any situation, what is the saying in sports its 90% mental and 10% physical? its true in every aspect of living. Its just downright disrespectful to tell people everything they do to prepare for any number of disasters means nil because you watched a show on t.v. about a bumbling unprepared family brushing with death every second after a disaster because they were stupid.:ranton:

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    Planning ahead will be a big help. Having supplies will help. Having like minded friends close will help.

Having the idea you can do nothing about it, will not help.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    Farming was touched on in the show last night and I have read some different theories on other sites about how to run a large farm without fuel or power. Do you have any theories on that?

Well you could make biodiesel. All of our tractors are older ones so no electronics for them to run. Then if you have solar power setup along with batteries and inverters. You will be able to run limited electronic stuff. Unless you run a bigger system already which is a good idea anyways to lessen your need for the grid. Our farm isn't too big anyways. Most of the ground is rented between here and 30 miles away. But we have enough here locally to grow enough food on for us and some others.

And to add, I definitely agree with Tyler above.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    I liked the show last night but to use that example and apply it to us(ingo,indiana) doesn't work when your making vague generalizations about people and their families here such as all our wives being pansy dish washers. the funny thing is my wife was watching it with me and said that lady needed slapped for being an idiot, and that she wanted to go to shays FOF class. and also the area is completely different than my AO and all of indiana land wise and population wise, comparing LA to indiana just doesn't work. telling people in a survival forum they won't survive is kind of a slap in the face. when I had cancer years ago the thought of giving up and dying NEVER once entered my mind, and had it I not so sure I would be here today. there cannot be enough said for positive thinking in any situation, what is the saying in sports its 90% mental and 10% physical? its true in every aspect of living. Its just downright disrespectful to tell people everything they do to prepare for any number of disasters means nil because you watched a show on t.v. about a bumbling unprepared family brushing with death every second after a disaster because they were stupid.:ranton:
    I think your misconstruing my original post a bit. Not intended to be a slap in the face, but a realization that not everyone is gonna make it. I cleared the fact that there would be some who would have an easier time surviving than others. However, I don't know ANYONE on this forum, and NO ONE knows me either, but I would be willing to bet you that there are some members who think they are the be-all-end-all Rambo type who wouldn't make it 10 minutes in a situation like that. It's no disrespect, just a fact. It doesn't matter that it is INGO, or ARFCOM, or any other firearm forum. That's just the way it is man. Am I putting myself on a pedestal? No. I for one would have an easy time by myself, but to have to be responsible for the well being of my family would be difficult circumstances. My wife and children are not GI Janes. They would count on me to lead them, and I would hear about it the whole way. And there are others who have wives or girlfriends who are just as comfortable in the woods as they are baking pies. That is a benefit. This whole thread is a generalization, and too many scenarios can be acted out with many different results. In no way was it meant for any one person.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    One of the awesome things about this site is being able to throw your ideas out there for others to kick around. You don't get smarter by having other people agree with you, you get smarter when somebody else pokes a big fat hole in something you just said. I'd rather some of my plans and ideas get shredded here on INGO than to find out the hard way that there was a flaw in my thinking.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    A friend of mine was talking a long time ago about this. We often discussed the different things that could happen.

One that sticks in my mind is that you are prepared, have your food, guns, bulletproof vest and all the trimmings.

Then the teenaged punk you caught breaking into you garage last year, causing him to spend six months in the local jail, decides it just the right time to get even with you.

So he puts a .22LR into your brain from his front pouch across the street as you stand in front of your house checking a commotion down the street.

You just never know...:dunno:

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    A friend of mine was talking a long time ago about this. We often discussed the different things that could happen.

One that sticks in my mind is that you are prepared, have your food, guns, bulletproof vest and all the trimmings.

Then the teenaged punk you caught breaking into you garage last year, causing him to spend six months in the local jail, decides it just the right time to get even with you.

So he puts a .22LR into your brain from his front pouch across the street as you stand in front of your house checking a commotion down the street.

You just never know...:dunno:
    You forgot your kevlar helmet. :ugh:

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Salem
    Lets make a rally point for ingo...somewhere in Hoosier national or something..the old caved in two story build off of grube ridge? Next to Monroe... Bring guns, food, women, and booze...in that order..:P

I was thinking more booze, women, guns, booze, women ???:dunno:

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Lack of personal hygiene will kill - it's important you know how to practice that. I have a straight razor so I do not have to worry about replacing blades, because I do not want a beard.

Josh

I had never thought of that... thanks for pointing it out.

I need a straight razor....

darrent

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Muncie, Indiana
    As far as making it - who knows. I didn't watch the show so I don't have the exact context of the situation, but I can extrapolate with posts supplied. I would like to think being well trained, moderately prepared, and faith in God would go a long way.

Personally, I think it would be best to get with your neighbors and band together as a community. Being a "lone wolf" would work for a while, but what kind of existence would that be? Does it have to be a requirement to be a savage to survive? I think not. Feel free to flame away now ;)

Last edited:

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    if I can make it home, or be at home......

We will last a few days.......

If I'm in another area or more than 6 hours away by car and have to walk home....don't have an answer

JD31

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2008
    My DVR only recorded the first half of the program, so I have to wait until Saturday to see the last 45 minutes. Therefore, I don't know how it ended, but I do know that regardless of the outcome, the least we will all do is die trying to survive. What more can people ask of us?

Top Bottom