• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nwigunguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    NW Indiana
    Hey there, sorry missed 2012 meets, tons of work to do, look forward to 2013 meets.

Ok, a serious warning here. I got this first hand from a person I know.

This person went to Willow Slough today. Got there early in the morning and was there a few hours. When they got home the found that a gun was missing. Drove right back there, was not left or turned in. The assumption it was it was STOLEN. The range guy there says it happens almost weekly. Really?

Take care of your items. Hope the thief gets caught.

Krogo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I'm trying not to sound too critical here, did this person seriously forget a gun? How remarkably irresponsible is that? Did this person take that many guns to the range that one of them "slipped" his mind? Come on now, to blame the thief is one thing, to give the thief the opportunity is another.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    We had someone on here say they stopped someone from walking off with a gun at Willow Slough a couple years back.

With everyone down range, it doesn't take Houdini to grab a handgun off a table and make off with it.

How many handguns get taken off of tables at gun shows? Happens all the time.

Sucks for that person. I hope they catch the SOB.

asevans

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    could easily happen. sorry to hear that. hope the catch the r@t B%st^&d.

People can forget stuff. Even guns.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    We had someone on here say they stopped someone from walking off with a gun at Willow Slough a couple years back.

With everyone down range, it doesn't take Houdini to grab a handgun off a table and make off with it.

How many handguns get taken off of tables at gun shows? Happens all the time.

Sucks for that person. I hope they catch the SOB.

Really? For me losing a gun at all would be unexcusable. Can't believe anyone would be so careless...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If alone at the range close up your guns or keep it holstered. I do this at every range I go to (except Eagle Creek) if alone.

How in the hell do you leave without all of your guns. No wonder we as a group are looked at sideways. Things happen in life but these are guns folks....guns, not car keys.

Burnsy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NW Indiana
    As others have stated, I don't see how this is the ranges fault at all. If I go to a restaurant, forget my cell phone and another customer walks off with it, how is the restaurant to blame?

Leaving a gun unattended and unsecured in a public place is a problem with the owner, not the public location.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    As others have stated, I don't see how this is the ranges fault at all. If I go to a restaurant, forget my cell phone and another customer walks off with it, how is the restaurant to blame?

Leaving a gun unattended and unsecured in a public place is a problem with the owner, not the public location.

I can see situations where it's all but unavoidable.

To use your restaurant analogy, let's say it's a buffet, where you have to occasionally go get food, dessert, etc. Let's also say, that it is laid out so that you can only go to the buffet line when someone calls "FOOD" at some random time. Picture the situation if you weren't allowed to touch your phone, carry it, or put it in your pocket, when you went to the food line. If someone steals your phone, which you had to leave at your table, while you were in the food line, it may not be the restaurant's "fault," but I'd say it's not your fault either.

Burnsy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NW Indiana

To use your restaurant analogy, let's say it's a buffet, where you have to occasionally go get food, dessert, etc. Let's also say, that it is laid out so that you can only go to the buffet line when someone calls "FOOD" at some random time. Picture the situation if you weren't allowed to touch your phone, carry it, or put it in your pocket, when you went to the food line. If someone steals your phone, which you had to leave at your table, while you were in the food line, it may not be the restaurant's "fault," but I'd say it's not your fault either.

Hmm, valid point. I have only attended indoor ranges and have never been required to leave my pistol unattended. Is this something that is required at outdoor ranges?

Edit: That's a lie, I have been to jasper polaski, but was not asked to leave my gun unattended.

Krogo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Doubling down on your restaurant analogy, wouldn't you notice that your phone was missing when you got back to the table or would it take you making the trip home to notice? Secondly, did you chose to be a patron of said restaurant and assume all risks associated with said patronage (including heart disease, because after all it is a buffet)?

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    When Atterbury range was the wild west show it was not unusual for some one to come back looking for a firearm or ammo can full of ?. Used to put the ammo cans and gun cases in the weeds pending a description. All were returned. No firearm was ever found by me. Let several people look in my car and trunk just to ease their minds that I didn't have anything that belonged to them. Forgetting a firearm at the range is my worst nightmare. Always check before leaving.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

I see your point but if the range is called cold you have to drop mags...clear actions...etc. Put the gun in the case after clearing and close it. That is what I do and then acknowledge the cold call. If a thief has to open a case to take your gun he becomes more visible. JMHO but it works for me. I am seldom alone at the range but if so that is my way of securing my gun. Only one on the line at a time.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Hmm, valid point. I have only attended indoor ranges and have never been required to leave my pistol unattended. Is this something that is required at outdoor ranges?

Edit: That's a lie, I have been to jasper polaski, but was not asked to leave my gun unattended.

The outdoor range I use forbids "holster carry", so yes, when I go downrange to check my targets, my weapon is left unattended..... Except for my son .....

Top Bottom