• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    One of the neatest things I have found about 19th century Indianapolis, Is how small it was compared to today...

I.E in 1867 you will have William Bonney, AKA Billy the Kid Living with his Mom & brother at 199 N East Street, and just a few Blocks away, The Up and Coming Business man Richard Gatling is living at 44 s Meridian.. That is just a few blocks from each other.

Wow, I didn't know this, or if I ever did I had certainly forgotten it.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Cost of labor WAS cheaper then. Cost of materials was higher. When I said $2.50 a day, that is what someone with a semi skilled job could make. Some of the no/low skill jobs paid much lower. And piece count work was common then as well, which could even pay higher than normal if you worked hard. When the 1873 was a new offering and the latest in technology, the prices were higher. By the time of this catalog the world was getting close to commonly usable smokeless firearms, and the '92 was far stronger than the '73. The 1894 was just a couple years away, and John Browning was probably experimenting with the early stages of a handgun that would become the 1911.

It wouldn't be until after WW2 that America workers started making more than the materials cost to make the item.

Top Bottom