• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Beowulf

Master
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    The only amusing thing I could see is people who bough from flippers but only bet reimbursed for the actual value. Ha!

That's an interesting point. If Winchester isn't offering a replacement, but rather a check for an amount they consider normal retail, but you basically can't buy it retail and you paid more for it on a secondary market, I wonder if you have much ground to stand on (legally speaking) to sue Winchester for more.

Granted, it's all academic, as unless you bought in really massive bulk, it wouldn't be worth all the hassle to get the difference in price.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    There is nothing printed on the inside flap on the individual boxes (500 round) that come in the 1000 round packs
    there are 3 sets of numbers/letters on the bottom.

It not printed in ink. It is embossed. I had to use a magnifying glass to be able to read mine. Yes, I am old...

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    No way I can check. All my ammo is lose in ammo cans.

Yeah, this just taught me a lesson. I have been trying to decide what kind of containers I want to buy to keep my ammo in for when I go to the range. Now I will be sure to record the lot numbers somewhere when I dump it.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I just posted about this recall on another gun forum.

MUCH to my surprise, a small majority of the respondents so far say the same thing.
    "Winchester says they'll give you a check for your recalled rounds, but NO replacement. No way in hell I'm giving up MY stash. You can't find .22Lr ANYWHERE. Why in the world would anybody turn in their ammo for a check?..."

Frankly I'm a little more than surprised by the reactions.

I understand the .22Lr is not exactly a "high-power" round, but still.

How many of you would say, "To hell with the recall, I'll keep my ammo..."?

Not me, but I'm curious.

I would not fool with it. Even though most firearms would probably be able to contain the problem round and protect the user, there would be be a good chance of a ruptured case rim. This will often hurt the extractor or hurt the firing pin. On a current production firearm the replacement parts are probably available, but there will be a lot of cost and trouble to repair the damage. On an older, more rare firearm, maybe the parts are not available. That could cost far and above the price of the ammo. I would turn it in or scrap it in a heartbeat.

Joe G

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    SE Indiana
    Finally dug out the 2 boxes I had. Ammo safe is getting full so I had them stashed elsewhere... Then I couldn't remember where they were (Gotta hide the evidence from Mrs G ya know ). :ugh:

Good news... 2000 rounds are good to go. Not part of the recall!

Side note... didn't realize how much more ammo I have stashed beyond what I counted last fall. :woot:

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    I just posted about this recall on another gun forum.

MUCH to my surprise, a small majority of the respondents so far say the same thing.
    "Winchester says they'll give you a check for your recalled rounds, but NO replacement. No way in hell I'm giving up MY stash. You can't find .22Lr ANYWHERE. Why in the world would anybody turn in their ammo for a check?..."

I received my REPLACEMENT ammo from Winchester today.

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    Wow! I thought they weren't going to do that. Did you have to get someone higher up involved?

Nope, first person I spoke with when I called the recall number. I politely told them that sending me a check wouldn't do me a bit of good with the availability issues, and they agreed to replace it. I've seen mention elsewhere on the net of some going through the same paperwork process that I had to, so I can't be the only one getting replacement ammo.

Top Bottom